PDA

View Full Version : Best Hunting ATV around $5000

JIL_24/7
06-26-2012, 09:07 PM
Hi Guys,
I got a number of draws this year, and I think now is the time to get an ATV of my own. There is a place where I can buy a new Arctic Cat 350 4x4 for $3,900. There is also a deal for an Arctic Cat 450 for around $5,500. Is there another manufacturer I should be looking at in this price range? Would I be better off going used? This will be my second full year of hunting, and I can't break the bank, but I don't want to buy something that is obsolete or broken in a couple of years. thanks for the help

000buck
06-26-2012, 09:15 PM
I have an arctic cat 300 4x4 (03) been great.... the best bike is the one your sittin on.

Gun Dog
06-26-2012, 09:22 PM
You probably want a utility ATV and those prices look like sport bikes.

JIL_24/7
06-26-2012, 09:24 PM
You probably want a utility ATV and those prices look like sport bikes.
Hi Gun Dog.
They are not sport bikes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRGr3APFqd4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOfRF6fH24w

pete_k
06-26-2012, 09:36 PM
No locking diffs.
Full time 4x4 with limited slip front (no 2 wheel drive mode).
No EFI.
Not a full size unit. (hope your a small guy)
You get what you pay for. It's priced about right.

JIL_24/7
06-26-2012, 09:40 PM
No locking diffs.
Full time 4x4 with limited slip front (no 2 wheel drive mode).
No EFI.
Not a full size unit. (hope your a small guy)
You get what you pay for. It's priced about right.
The 450 is an EFI. Watch the video. I am fairly certain the 450 is full sized. It also has both 2x4 and 4x4 modes. The 350 is bigger than you're thinking I'm sure, but it is full time 4wd. If you think they're junk that is fine, but I would appreciate a little direction towards what might be better. Thanks for the input so far guys.

Allen50
06-26-2012, 09:41 PM
if you can buy new do it,, and buy what you like, on this site millions have diffrent bikes, and a million way to tell you theres is better, they all work the same, go for what you want, do your owne checking on what bike you like and go for it,a bike does not make you a better hunter,, but good luck on your draws, and good luck with ever what ever atv you end up with,,i run a cat too and there good bikes,,good luck,,,oh yea i got now draws,,, maybe next time,,

REMINGTON JIM
06-26-2012, 09:46 PM
The Honda 350 Ranchers were all full time 4x4 and one of the "best little machines" ever produced ! Excellent fuel milage and depenabilty! :smile:

pete_k
06-26-2012, 09:47 PM
The 450 is an EFI. Watch the video. I am fairly certain the 450 is full sized. It also has both 2x4 and 4x4 modes. The 350 is bigger than you're thinking I'm sure, but it is full time 4wd. If you think they're junk that is fine, but I would appreciate a little direction towards what might be better. Thanks for the input so far guys.

Oh no. I don't think they are junk. The 350 just specs out a bit light and featureless. I'd take any new atv out there. They are all pretty good imo.
Do it. You won't regret it. It's some of the best money I've ever spent.

tanker
06-26-2012, 09:52 PM
yamaha kodiak!!!!!!!!

Huey
06-26-2012, 09:54 PM
Was looking at those cheap 350 arctic cats and stopped looking once I found out they were made by Kymco. May be good for some but just not my personal preference.

killman
06-26-2012, 09:58 PM
Sportsman 500HO.......................all that needs to be said.

f350ps
06-26-2012, 10:15 PM
Check out International Motorsports in Ladner, they have some very good deals! K

weatherbyjunkie
06-26-2012, 10:17 PM
im a polaris guy through and through so i say the sportsman 700,BUT........ can am is a SWEET product

Singleshotneeded
06-26-2012, 11:00 PM
DON'T buy Arctic Cat! A couple of guys I know well and have quadded with bought the AC 700s a few years ago...
and every other ride something broke on them and they were in the shop! They don't baby their machines but still?!
I'd recommend a Yamaha Kodiak or Suzuki King Quad 450, they have everything except power steering and are very
reliable. IRS, DIFF LOCK, 4WD are awesome to have, and if you're planning on throwing deer on your quad and heading
back to camp, the Kodiak and KQ500 are available with Electronic Power Steering, which makes steering a lot easier.
As well, the EPS doesn't let the bars try to jerk out of your hands if you hit a large rock at speed with only one front wheel!
That's caused plenty of incidents. The Honda Rancher is reliable as well but doesn't have diff lock if you get in a sticky situation.

mikeboehm
06-26-2012, 11:10 PM
Honda is by far the most reliable. For me i dont want an automatic. I prefer the standard. If i coudnt find a honda i want i would buy a yamaha. Actic cat and polaris are junk. A few weeks ago i was at a dealer that sells polaris. Brand new 700 spotsman efi. The bike wouldnt start unless i gave it throttle and wouldnt keep running unless i gave throttle. What a piece of junk.

REMINGTON JIM
06-26-2012, 11:15 PM
Honda is by far the most reliable. For me i dont want an automatic. I prefer the standard. If i coudnt find a honda i want i would buy a yamaha. Actic cat and polaris are junk. A few weeks ago i was at a dealer that sells polaris. Brand new 700 spotsman efi. The bike wouldnt start unless i gave it throttle and wouldnt keep running unless i gave throttle. What a piece of junk.

Mike - tell us all how you really FEEL about POLARIS ! :smile: LOL RJ

sed8ed
06-27-2012, 12:07 AM
First vote goes for the yamaha kodiak 450, if not that then either a polaris sportsman 450 or 500 if you are buying new.

If you are buying used, Kawasaki Brute Force all the way for your price range. Get a 2008 or newer since they came with fuel injection after that... 650 if you are going to be towing a trailer, 750 if you are going to load the quad up (650 solid axle that is).

The wife and I have 2 Brutes now, my original one is a 2007 750 with 5600kms on it so far and it's still running strong, the new to us one is a solid axle 650 with 1500kms, just getting broken it. No problems on either bike so far except needing new brake pads and a belt on my 750 at 5000kms

articcat
06-27-2012, 04:23 AM
I'm on my second artic cat, there work horses best bang for your buck hands down

articcat
06-27-2012, 04:24 AM
Honda is by far the most reliable. For me i dont want an automatic. I prefer the standard. If i coudnt find a honda i want i would buy a yamaha. Actic cat and polaris are junk. A few weeks ago i was at a dealer that sells polaris. Brand new 700 spotsman efi. The bike wouldnt start unless i gave it throttle and wouldnt keep running unless i gave throttle. What a piece of junk.have you ever owned a artic cat?

capper911
06-27-2012, 05:08 AM
Team Green..... Kawasaki Brute Force!! Nuff said.........! :-)

000buck
06-27-2012, 06:55 AM
wow you guys sure are helpful, everyone has a what piece of crap story about everything ever built, He asked if one of the 2 machines listed would be ok in his price range or if there was another option..... presumably within this price range (since he bothered to mention it). With the basic understanding that an ATV is not a tank, nor an aircraft, nor a submersible water craft, but a light duty off road utility vehicle limited to traveling in an up right position ( in fact I think that honda is the only manufacturer that has the barrel roll feature but you can't get it with out A/C so that puts it out of the aforementioned price range.) any atv is better than walking. The arctic cats are good machines I have had mine since 02 and replaced only 2 batteries and a shock.... damn thing broke after 8 years of abuse. What a piece of crap! I seriously think some of you could break a rock if given enough time to play with it.

Big Nuggets go get your arctic cat... treat it like you paid 5 grand ( there are $12000 machines out there but 5 large is still a lot of coin) for it and it will last just fine, mine has.

frase
06-27-2012, 06:59 AM
Had an Artic Cat 400 and now a 1997 500 cc. I have flipped them, pounded them, and everything else and they have never been in the shop. Good clearance. The only thing I miss is the power steering on newer models. The 500 I have is a little heavy but it has good racks. Overal I think all makes are pretty good but I would suggest something a little larger than a 350. The only reason I sold my 400 was that it was a little underpowered with 2 persons.

2tins
06-27-2012, 07:06 AM
If you can find a Honda for 5k you're in good shape. If not, look for a used one. Congats and good luck, 2tins.

keithb7
06-27-2012, 07:14 AM
Any of the major manufacturers of ATVs all make good respectable units. Arctic Cat, Honda, Yamaha, Polaris, Kawasaki, BRP, Suzuki, did I miss one? They are all pretty decent and depending who you talk to, you'll always get someone with a favorite. For me, it's important that I pick a quad where there is a local dealer who provides great service and fair prices. Pretty hard to go wrong with any of the ones mentioned. To claim that a certain brand is a piece of junk because you need to give it fuel to start it,is ridiculous. Everything needs maintenance. If you want something where you just hit the key and go, and never do anything else, you're better off staying home on the couch.

.330 Dakota
06-27-2012, 07:21 AM

Beware of the CAT,,,I know a few guys that have them, and wont buy another one,,numerous problems on low mileage units.
I would buy a used anything,,,(excluding Polaris) before I bought a new Cat.

ElliotMoose
06-27-2012, 07:51 AM
I have three arctic cat 400's and one 500. All have been great reliable vehicles, and have yet to run into any big problems or get any of them really stuck. On any machine, the diff lock is a must for me.The ground clearance on these machines is unmatched which I find to be a huge help when crossing over logs and such, but this also leaves them a bit top heavy when rounding sharp corners.

As for the machines you mentioned, how heavy are you? I think you will find that the 350 will lack the power that you want, and you will be upgrading in the near future. The main things we use the bikes for are hoisting game onto poles, and animal retrieval. In my experience, when you're pulling a 1200 pound moose out of the field over logs & debris you'll want a little more balls. At 6'4 230 the 500cc is a perfect fit for me, and I would recommend it any day. That being said, to each his own and as mentioned above their are pros and cons with any brand name. Pretty well have to hop on one and form your own opinion.

I am certain you could pick up a used unit in good condition within your price range, and I would start saving asap for the various add-ons you will probably want (ex winch, gun scabbard)

PM me if you'd like info on some places you could pick up a used machine.

Cheers,
Chris

dino
06-27-2012, 08:02 AM
Yamaha! if not at least buy an import

moosinaround
06-27-2012, 08:30 AM
I own a 2003 arctic cat 500 auto. It takes the brunt of my activities all year. It does everything I ask of it, but I do monkey wrench on it every year! It usually packs out a full animal or 3 every year, so it is tough! I would go for the larger of the machines, and put some aftermarket tires on it, NOT OVERSIZED tires though, they are hard on rigging if you donot beef up all the other components too! Ask me how I know this?!!!! Hope this helps! Moosin

Gun Dog
06-27-2012, 08:37 AM
Get a 2008 or newer since they came with fuel injection after that... 650 if you are going to be towing a trailer, 750 if you are going to load the quad up (650 solid axle that is).
ALL the Brute Force 650s have carbs (up to 2012 anyway) and ALL the 750s have EFI.

JIL_24/7
06-27-2012, 03:27 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. This is what it looks like. I can either go with the Arctic Cat 350 4x4 with a 5 year warranty or the Polaris Sportsman 400 4x4 with a one year warranty for about the same price. Or I could go with the 6 month Arctic Cat warranty only and save $1000. What does everyone think?

David
06-27-2012, 04:07 PM
How close to the border are you?

At your stated price range I would buy down south - can get the equivalent of a $7,000 machine down there for your $5,500.

Again at your stated price range I would seriously look at the Yamaha Big Bear. A "true" standard transmission will get you much better fuel economy - depending on your finances, how much you hunt, etc. etc. Fuel economy can sometimes be a big deal.

Me.

.330 Dakota
06-27-2012, 04:14 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. This is what it looks like. I can either go with the Arctic Cat 350 4x4 with a 5 year warranty or the Polaris Sportsman 400 4x4 with a one year warranty for about the same price. Or I could go with the 6 month Arctic Cat warranty only and save $1000. What does everyone think?

I think if ur hell bent on a Cat or a Polaris you had better get all the warranty you can, I did 5 years of research before I laid down cash, and I bought Yamaha,,,never broke down not even once.
As a few here have said...450 Kodiak, standard warranty, and you'll never need it.

JIL_24/7
06-27-2012, 04:18 PM
How close to the border are you?

At your stated price range I would buy down south - can get the equivalent of a $7,000 machine down there for your $5,500.

Again at your stated price range I would seriously look at the Yamaha Big Bear. A "true" standard transmission will get you much better fuel economy - depending on your finances, how much you hunt, etc. etc. Fuel economy can sometimes be a big deal.

Me.
Hi David,
Biggest problem is cash in hand. I need a few months to put all the money together, but I feel like I need to get the ATV for this hunting season. That puts me in a place where I have to buy locally to finance a little of the cost.

BillyBull
06-27-2012, 04:32 PM
Hi Guys,
I got a number of draws this year, and I think now is the time to get an ATV of my own. There is a place where I can buy a new Arctic Cat 350 4x4 for $3,900. There is also a deal for an Arctic Cat 450 for around $5,500. Is there another manufacturer I should be looking at in this price range? Would I be better off going used? This will be my second full year of hunting, and I can't break the bank, but I don't want to buy something that is obsolete or broken in a couple of years. thanks for the help

In your first post you mentioned the AC 350 and AC450 and the range was 3900/5500 and your now mentioning that you can get the AC350 with a 5yr warranty or a Polaris 400 for about the same price range.

My comments would be that you need to like the quad, sit on it, try it and check to see how you will tow it or transport it and how the gas is for each of the quads. What I found was that the 450 products seem to have enough power and capable of pulling and working and ride comfort.

Not sure what happened to the AC450 you were looking, but if your coin is limited and you can get either the AC350 or the Polaris 400 with a 5yr warranty for $4000 then why not? As if there is a problem your warranty should help you out.... also ask if the warranty is transferable in case you want to upgrade it would help when selling.

The key things to look at with the quads are the clearance, tires, diff, 2-wd/4-wd modes, rideability, are they easy to lift with your hands, do you need a winch, what can the racks carry safely, gas tank size, shifting, cost for standard mtnc, is the seat comfortable for long rides, the distance between the handle bars and the size for your arms/back on long rides... and the list goes on....

At the end of the day, if it gets you to the spot, walk, harvest an animal and home safely -- then you have a good investment.

Have fun!

JIL_24/7
06-27-2012, 04:53 PM
In your first post you mentioned the AC 350 and AC450 and the range was 3900/5500 and your now mentioning that you can get the AC350 with a 5yr warranty or a Polaris 400 for about the same price range.

My comments would be that you need to like the quad, sit on it, try it and check to see how you will tow it or transport it and how the gas is for each of the quads. What I found was that the 450 products seem to have enough power and capable of pulling and working and ride comfort.

Not sure what happened to the AC450 you were looking, but if your coin is limited and you can get either the AC350 or the Polaris 400 with a 5yr warranty for $4000 then why not? As if there is a problem your warranty should help you out.... also ask if the warranty is transferable in case you want to upgrade it would help when selling.

The key things to look at with the quads are the clearance, tires, diff, 2-wd/4-wd modes, rideability, are they easy to lift with your hands, do you need a winch, what can the racks carry safely, gas tank size, shifting, cost for standard mtnc, is the seat comfortable for long rides, the distance between the handle bars and the size for your arms/back on long rides... and the list goes on....

At the end of the day, if it gets you to the spot, walk, harvest an animal and home safely -- then you have a good investment.

Have fun!

Thanks for the advice. The reason I was hesitant on the AC450 is that it was actually $5995 and comes with only a 6 month warranty whereas the Polaris 400 is $5495 and has a year. The AC 350 is a dynamite deal at $3900 and with a $1000 warranty it's still under MSRP by a good margin. The warranty is transferable. Everyone seems to have a problem with the size, but I used a Honda 250 a lot last year that I borrowed and it carried all my gear and a couple dead animals. It was 2wd. I don't know. I'll probably go with the Arctic Cat. Seems like value for money is good and if it gets me 5 years I'll be happy.

000buck
06-27-2012, 05:13 PM
My 300 cat has been around since 02 like I said before.... I'm still happy

Moose Guide
06-27-2012, 05:34 PM

My first quad was a beat up Honda, great machine(new Hondas have tranny troubles too often for my liking) Then I upgraded???? to a bigger nicer Polaris(it broke down almost everytime I went for a ride)I sold the Polaris and bought a Yamaha Kodiak 400 and it has been flawless!!! I would buy a Yamaha, BRP, Kawasaki, Suzuki or Honda in that order. My brother rode a brand new Arctic Cat for work 2 or 3 years ago and had a lot of problems so I am leary of them. I would only buy a Polaris if I got beaten with the stupid stick for a couple of days, I have only seen one or two good ones and many lemons from Polaris!

Allen50
06-27-2012, 06:53 PM
like i said in my first post your going to get a million diffrent answers, you go with what you like and what the money will pay for,, there is no one on here will give you a answer your looking for,, you have to figger it out on your owne, seams like alot of guys are hard on atv, all broken, and smashed, means there rideing like they stole it,, lol lol,, if you ride it like you paid good money for it then it will last you a long time, i had a 400 cat, was good to me, sold it and got a 700 cat and still ride it lots, and oh still not broke, and i ama bit rough on it at times, but i like the cat,, there all good atvs, you just have to find the one you like best and buy it, and dont let anyone else drive it, then it should last,, you a long time,,, good luck,,,happy hunting,,send pic when you figger out what you end up with,, chow,,

Remington721
06-27-2012, 07:07 PM
ALL the Brute Force 650s have carbs (up to 2012 anyway) and ALL the 750s have EFI.

Yes all the 650's have carbs but 05-07 750 also have carbs but the 08-12 750's have EFI, I have owned a couple cats and they were good machines. I would personally opt for the 450 cat over the 350, because i believe the 450 is full size with diff lock, you may pay a little more money but i think it would be worth it. Let us know what you buy.

dog812
06-27-2012, 08:13 PM
last year i picked up a 2007 polairs sportsman 500 X2, $4500, The X2 has the back box, that can also convert into a seat if needed.. i love it.. itll carry a ton of stuff.
Not mine but heres a pic...

rocket
06-27-2012, 08:22 PM
If your willing to travel check out spectra motorsports in the puddle (wms lake) can't beat prices, shop is scetchy but you don't have to get it serviced there i don't.

db
06-27-2012, 08:34 PM
I just purchased a 2011 Yamaha kodiak 450 es , this ia an excellent quad more than enough power , electric steering makes it extremely maneuverable in the tight spots. For 6999 it came with a winch and snow plow. It has some of the best ground clearance in its class. If you can afford a few extra bucks I would definitely recommend checking one out.

dino
06-28-2012, 03:24 AM
Think about a pull start, if you plan to go by yourself very much or do some hard riding a pull start can be a lifesaver.If you have ever rolled a machine or winched the battery dead you will know what Im talking about.

hunter1947
06-28-2012, 04:31 AM
My opinion would be a Honda..

Mythos
06-28-2012, 08:13 AM
Look into kawasaki kvf 360.
fulltime locked rear diff.
optional 4x4 switch with locking front diff.
High seating position, the highest clearence in its class.
Oversized parts (reliable) - they use the same parts on all kvf models even over 700cc.

Mythos
06-28-2012, 08:15 AM
Forgot to mention: comes with pull start and even sigaret-lighter outlet.

JIL_24/7
06-29-2012, 01:03 AM
Going to try and make a deal on a Yamaha Kodiak 350. I'll pass on the extended warranty for now I think. Get a free winch in the deal along with great financing rates. Has locking diff. It's a Yamaha. Going to see what I can do.

savagecanuck
06-29-2012, 06:53 AM
You can't go wrong with Yamaha they are one of the most reliable quads out there.If you want something a little bigger to play with between seasons I would consider a used 05-06 Yamaha grizzly 660,they can be had for 5K in good shape.With Yamaha extended warranty is a waste of money as they rarely break.I have had 3 grizzly 700's and a rhino and none of them ever went in for warranty work.

REMINGTON JIM
06-29-2012, 07:43 AM
Going to try and make a deal on a Yamaha Kodiak 350. I'll pass on the extended warranty for now I think. Get a free winch in the deal along with great financing rates. Has locking diff. It's a Yamaha. Going to see what I can do.

Thats a GOOD choice ! Beats the off shore AC ! :smile: LOL RJ

Ron.C
06-29-2012, 11:12 AM

I had a Yamaha 350 Bruin. Great on gas, reliable and pleanty enough power for hunting if your not a big guy, but lacked the diff lock which I found out really sucked. Plus its a smaller quad so its easy to get around in the tight stuff. The 350 Kodiak fixed all that was lacking on the Bruin. You've made a good choice.

Shooter
06-29-2012, 11:46 AM
I have owned a ton of yamaha bikes throughout the years. Never have owned a Yamaha quad but I would not hesitate to because Yamaha has always been a great machine to me. A few months ago I bought a 2009 Honda Rancher with power steering and 1800 kms for my wife and it rang in at exactly $5000. It seems to be a great machine. 2 years ago I bought a 2007 Can-Am Outlander 500 XT it rang in at around $6000 and has been a great machine also and it had 1200kms on it when I got it. There are deals out there if you look for them. When buying used I look at the seller almost as much as the machine. A good clean up can hide a hard life for a machine but the seller usually tells the whole story if you read it right.

You can save a lot of money buying a couple of years older sometimes. The original bill of sale on my Can-am was over 12,000 and I am pretty sure the Ranchers with power steering run pretty close to 9k before tax.

Hunting12
06-29-2012, 12:02 PM
cam am 600

Iron Sighted
06-29-2012, 01:28 PM
Think about a pull start, if you plan to go by yourself very much or do some hard riding a pull start can be a lifesaver.If you have ever rolled a machine or winched the battery dead you will know what Im talking about.

Good point Dino, we just got a brand new Can-Am/Bombardier 800 at work and it doesn't come with a pull start-serious shortcoming IMO, not that I want to pull start that beast, but it'd be nice to have the option, especially for the cost of the machine. Shifter is a little flimsy and tempermental on it too

combine pilot
06-30-2012, 06:30 PM
If you are going to buy any kind of 350 make sure it is a standard or at least has a low range. Buddy has a Yamaha 350 and it does not have low range it sucks for power in the deep mud and snow. Not so good for pulling a trailer either as it powers out on steeper hills. I have a Can-Am 400 XT Max and it has been an awesome bike so far. I bought it second hand for $3700 with only 1300 km's. on it. Watch Kijiji and these types of deals show up all the time. You just need to be fast on the draw to get one. There was a 2011 Polaris Razor in Alberta the other day that was being sold for $6500. Said divorce sale. So do not be in too much of a hurry a good deal can be found.

dino
06-30-2012, 10:09 PM
Diff lock and low range are a definite must.

dutchie
07-02-2012, 08:08 AM
I just bought my first quad last week and it was used. I had alot of the same kind of questions you have and this is what I did:

I set my price limit and then i looked on kijiji. I looked for good deals and I also looked for mint quads. I finially settled on a 2004 Honda Fourtrax Rincon 650. Mind you there were a few issues and possible gremlins that i thought may come up so I went to the guy with cash and my trailer and low balled him. I ended up getting it for a steal in comparison to other quads of the same year make and model.

I was originally looking for a 450 but I found that the power was not there. There was no snap to the ones that I was looking at in my price range and most of them were being riden really hard or not maintained properly.

You need to ask yourself what is really important to you, and then go and try a few out. I tried Kawasaki, Yamaha, polaris and Honda and there were slight differences to them all. Independant rear suspention, EFI,, hi/lo 4x4, manual mode possibilities, belt driven or shaft driven... etc... A must is a winch. Mine has a Warn 3500lbs. $700 bill if you do not have one!

I went with a 650 because I want to possibly get tracks for it, also getting larger game out I did not want to struggle at all. 450's will do it, larger displacement will do it easier.

This is not only a hunting quad for me so I wanted to be able to keep up with my friends Can-am outlaws and outlanders 800-100cc and thier grizzly 700's and 660's. so the 450 was going to be underpowered and I would be holding them all up when we were chewing through the mountains and it would be harder on the machine running it full out.

There is no "right" quad or better quad. What you need to do is have a ride on a few and figure out for yourself what is right for you.

Last... The BIGGEST expense is going to be tires if they are bald or not adequate. plan on about $160-200 for each rear tire and $130-160 for each front. Plus $20 per tire to mount and balance. for some reason everyone here in Alberta loves the ITP mudllites or the Swamp lites... I prefer the Maxxis bighorns or the ITP Terra Cross R/T XD's

www.royaldistributing.com is your friend when you have a quad or UTV!!!

Dutchie

.330 Dakota
07-02-2012, 08:43 AM
Te 450 Yami will run tracks with no problem,,,thats why low range is great,,,ot like your going to break any speed records on tracks anyways.
Off topic a bit,,,my 700 griz has "no" pull start feature,,,and I have never needed it either,, I can see it could be handy for a dead battery though

bc-shedder
07-02-2012, 06:42 PM
buy a used one you can get almost new quads double the size for 5000 or less if you look hard enough

000BuckJr
07-02-2012, 08:02 PM
In reply to my dads comment 000buck, his CAT has had us both on it going through major crap, never once had a problem? Ever heard of the saying : It's not the machine it's the user:wink: And let alone, i'm not a small boy, comin' in at 6,1 and 200 with another 200 in the front, it's gone through rough spots.. The machine has never quit, it's a fighter I tell you that, CAT is a smart choice my man

JIL_24/7
07-07-2012, 05:30 PM
Have put together a little more money to be able to buy used without financing, so I am now looking hard to find the right unit. Looks like I have a chance at a 2009 Kawasaki 360 Prairie with 200 kilometers on it. Any thoughts on this ride? It still lacks the power of others, but it does offer nice things like a locking diff. I know the over-arching opinion on here is to go bigger, but I think the smaller quads carry some advantages in terms of fuel (both running and towing) and ability to get into some tight places. Thoughts on this? This has been a great source of information for me. Thanks to all who have contributed.

270WIN
07-07-2012, 05:45 PM
used a suzuki king quad for years. 300 cc diff loc 2 wheel drive or four wheel drive option hi low and super low range. that quad never let me down. sure may be little under power for some but dam thing good pull.

ruger#1
07-07-2012, 05:51 PM
used a suzuki king quad for years. 300 cc diff loc 2 wheel drive or four wheel drive option hi low and super low range. that quad never let me down. sure may be little under power for some but dam thing good pull. X2 and I still use mine. And it still runs great. Mine is a 1993 model was called a quad runner.

.330 Dakota
07-07-2012, 06:41 PM
Have put together a little more money to be able to buy used without financing, so I am now looking hard to find the right unit. Looks like I have a chance at a 2009 Kawasaki 360 Prairie with 200 kilometers on it. Any thoughts on this ride? It still lacks the power of others, but it does offer nice things like a locking diff. I know the over-arching opinion on here is to go bigger, but I think the smaller quads carry some advantages in terms of fuel (both running and towing) and ability to get into some tight places. Thoughts on this? This has been a great source of information for me. Thanks to all who have contributed.

I know the 360 Kawi is a solid bike, but dont get fooled into thinking the smaller bikes are better on fuel,,,they work harder to push the same mass. My 7oo griz is waaay better on fuel than any 400-500 I have ever rode with.

buckshot
07-07-2012, 06:42 PM
I had a 1988 Suzuki LT-F4WD 250 for 20 years. I hauled a lot of moose and elk with it. Broke my heart when it was worn out beyound repair. I found a 1991 300' that I have been using since the 250 was retired. I can see myself riding this one for a while. Love the extra 50cc also. In diff lock, it is a tank!

Gun Dog
07-08-2012, 11:12 AM
Have put together a little more money to be able to buy used without financing, so I am now looking hard to find the right unit. Looks like I have a chance at a 2009 Kawasaki 360 Prairie with 200 kilometers on it. Any thoughts on this ride? It still lacks the power of others, but it does offer nice things like a locking diff. I know the over-arching opinion on here is to go bigger, but I think the smaller quads carry some advantages in terms of fuel (both running and towing) and ability to get into some tight places. Thoughts on this? This has been a great source of information for me. Thanks to all who have contributed.Just because it has a smaller engine doesn't mean it's physically smaller or lighter. My brother has both -- a 360 and a 600 Prairie and you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.

kevan
07-08-2012, 12:16 PM
My Wife and I bought matching '05 Cat 400s new and they are by far the best machines we've ever had.
Enough power for us and awesome dependability. They've never been back to the dealer.

hms45in
07-08-2012, 01:10 PM
take a hard look at a suzuki i really like my 2006 king quad 700. its great on gas, lots of power and a decent ride/handling. it has over6000 hard work and play kms on it and not one glitch yet. you should be able to find similar year king quad for around 5 grand. I have owned early model (1998) arctil cat 400 and reliability was a problem. (carb rattled apart under 2500km, rear drive line broke under 3000, transmission pulverized by a loose internal bolt 4500 km=sold for parts) also had one good honda (year 2001 350) and one really bad honda (year 2008 420) the 420 had some vapor lock thing that never could be fixed even after months of being at the dealer...sucky deal all round and I have swarn of Honda even though they have made some great quads.

JIL_24/7
07-10-2012, 10:55 PM
Almost home boys :)
Narrowed down to a Honda Foreman 500 with 1100 miles and a Kawasaki Prairie 360 with 270 kilometers. The Honda is $5,800 and the Kawasaki is $4,000. I think both are good deals for what they are. They are both different machines as well. I have heard up and down reviews on the electric shift of the Honda which is making me nervous. I have heard mostly good things about the Kawasaki. I like the price of the Kawasaki, but the Honda is impressive. Any final thoughts from those of you who have steered me thus far?

REMINGTON JIM
07-10-2012, 11:18 PM
Just for info sake - MY 2001 Honda Rancher (4500 KMS) with electric shift works great ! It gets used all winter for snowplowing so it is shifted a lot too ! :smile: RJ

Gun Dog
07-11-2012, 12:38 PM
That Prairie is almost new. It's an SRA -- solid rear axle -- with a big swing arm in the back. If towing is important, the tow ball is on the swing arm instead of the frame so there's no sag when you load up a trailer. The Prairie probably has a Hi-Low on the gear box and a lot of Hondas are single gear. Low is good for low speed stuff -- snow plowing and trailer pulling.

Frango
07-11-2012, 01:12 PM
I have been riding an electric shift different models for years and have never had a problem.Most people who say bad things about them are Yamaha owners it's some kind of complex..Its very sad they drool and mess their pants and make statements like Honda transmission are unreliable.Only cure is to buy a Honda.

KodiakHntr
07-11-2012, 01:18 PM
Or it could be guys who've been stranded back in the bush by Honda's with electric shift tranny's.......

Ubertuber
07-11-2012, 01:37 PM
Yamaha Complex ^^^^:razz:

I had a Kawasaki 400 for 12 years. It was a well built machine that always did what I asked. I'd buy another one.
My buddy has a Honda ES that is used all the time. No issues, purrs like a kitten.
I currently have a Grizzly 700. Nice machine, crappy mileage.
My kids have a Kodiak. Too tippy and tends to under-steer, but runs good. Not my favourite.
$5,800 or $4,000 = tough choice between the two quads. I'd probably go with the Honda, only because the extra CC.

KodiakHntr
07-11-2012, 04:17 PM
Yamaha Complex ^^^^:razz:

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc182/KodiakHntr2/31f45714.jpg

^^^^^^^^Not a Yamaha.......

madrona sh
07-11-2012, 04:37 PM
$5000.00 used quad= bagged out garbage 99% of the time.

That's almost like buying a used logging truck.

Good luck to you

steelheadSABO
07-11-2012, 04:39 PM
Can am, Suzuki, Honda, and Yamaha are your best bets, Also electrical stuff likes to break and short out so the less electronics it has the longer it will last.

ruger#1
07-11-2012, 04:59 PM
Can am, Suzuki, Honda, and Yamaha are your best bets, Also electrical stuff likes to break and short out so the less electronics it has the longer it will last. You forgot Kawasaki, who bought Suzuki out a couple years ago.

ruger#1
07-11-2012, 05:04 PM
$5000.00 used quad= bagged out garbage 99% of the time.

That's almost like buying a used logging truck.

Good luck to you I paid $4000.00 for my Suzuki Quad Runner in 1995. Did the top end in 2008 and it is still running strong. Alot of people cannot aford a new one, And that is including me.

smoothbor
07-11-2012, 05:38 PM
Hey if you do try the yammy 350 let me know when it breaks down, i have 5 in my backyard right now so I have lots of used parts for ya, I am a die hard yamaha fan but the 350 models we have for work just dont stand up to the everyday all day operations all are 2007 and are not worth fixing so if you need parts let me know i have sold alot of the parts off them now but some are still fairly intact. i like the grizzly models and think they are a great machine and are holding up. As well we are running the rhinos as well. the company i work for must have at least 100 atv/utv's and all are yamaha.....great machines

Blockcaver
07-11-2012, 06:14 PM
A rancher friend in eastern MT where we pheasant hunted had a Honda Rancher. He told me he traded them every three years when they got to 20,000 miles on them. Never had an issue with them, just liked to trade them off at that age. I have an '08 Rancher with over 7,000 km on it. Electric shift.........no issues and it came out of a rental fleet. My other Rancher is an '02 but it only has 5,000 km on it. Electric shift as well and no issues. I don't mud bog them or otherwise abuse them.

JIL_24/7
07-11-2012, 10:04 PM
Ok Boys. She's home. I made the call. Based on need and money I went with the Kawasaki 360 Prairie 4x4. I felt like it was the best all around option. It is a 2009 that has been in storage since the end of 2009, so it needs a tune-up but it is basically brand new with only 270 kilometers and 50 hours. I got it for $4000 from a private seller who bought it from his son-in-law when they got in financial trouble, but hasn't ridden it since. I got it started to load it and drive it around, but it is obvious the gas needs to be drained and the carb cleaned and spark plug replaced. I think I got great value for my dollar. Time will tell, but I don't think I bought a bag of garbage :) Thanks for all your help steering me. It was a tough call, but the lack of electronic features, the locking diff, hi and low gear, pull start, and many other things people suggested were all there on this Prairie.

Frango
07-12-2012, 10:32 AM
I think you made a good buy .Cant beat the price.I know a guy who has one and he has had zero issues.Dont say I didnt warn you about drooling and messing your pants though.Hopefully you will get some animal blood on it soon..Enjoy

Gun Dog
07-12-2012, 09:08 PM
If you go to ebay you can by an scanned copy of the factory service manual for around $10. Most are scans but occasionally you come across an actual PDF that you can search.

http://www.kawieriders.com/forum/ can be a good source of knowledge.

Ruch13
06-18-2015, 06:37 PM
Best hunting atv, can am, yamaha, polaris????

dino
06-18-2015, 06:47 PM
Best hunting atv, can am, yamaha, polaris????

You really need to ask yourself what kind of car is built better, a domestic or an import. Apply that to your quad question.

Ruch13
06-18-2015, 07:13 PM
I am looking for rider reviews? Their experience with their atv

Billyisgr8
06-19-2015, 08:01 AM
Honest opinion, I still think Can am is the best, they are all so close, but buy a brand that has the best service to go along with it from a shop that will care about you and your warranty. We bought a Can Am and the local shop could care less about local owners with atv's , and has made me and many others that I also know wish we all bought a arctic cat cause that dealer is awsome and will bend over backwards to accomodate you.

argyle1
06-19-2015, 09:03 AM
imports no doubt !!

.330 Dakota
06-19-2015, 09:03 AM
DON'T buy Arctic Cat! A couple of guys I know well and have quadded with bought the AC 700s a few years ago...
and every other ride something broke on them and they were in the shop! They don't baby their machines but still?!
I'd recommend a Yamaha Kodiak or Suzuki King Quad 450, they have everything except power steering and are very
reliable. IRS, DIFF LOCK, 4WD are awesome to have, and if you're planning on throwing deer on your quad and heading
back to camp, the Kodiak and KQ500 are available with Electronic Power Steering, which makes steering a lot easier.
As well, the EPS doesn't let the bars try to jerk out of your hands if you hit a large rock at speed with only one front wheel!
That's caused plenty of incidents. The Honda Rancher is reliable as well but doesn't have diff lock if you get in a sticky situation.

100% good advice,,,I have ridden with them all and I went Yamaha after seeing the Arctic Cat breakdowns,,,I would lok for a used Kodiak 450,,best bang for the buck,,,they come efi and with power steering if you go new or from 2011 up.
My wife has a 2008 450, no power steering, and carburated,,,awesome bike,,bullet proof,,part time 4x4, diff lock, hi and low range,,,gobs of power

Good2bCanadian
06-19-2015, 09:04 AM
I would go for a Kodiak 450 as well.

Big Hoss
06-19-2015, 09:11 AM
Have a 2001 Honda foreman and a 2008 Honda Rubicon. They both can handle heavy loads and tow a crap load of weight. Never had an issue with either of them and do my own services so not sure what the dealers are like to deal with. Love the stability of the straight axle the only thing I'm not fond of is the Foreman is full time 4x4

.330 Dakota
06-19-2015, 12:26 PM
Ok Boys. She's home. I made the call. Based on need and money I went with the Kawasaki 360 Prairie 4x4. I felt like it was the best all around option. It is a 2009 that has been in storage since the end of 2009, so it needs a tune-up but it is basically brand new with only 270 kilometers and 50 hours. I got it for $4000 from a private seller who bought it from his son-in-law when they got in financial trouble, but hasn't ridden it since. I got it started to load it and drive it around, but it is obvious the gas needs to be drained and the carb cleaned and spark plug replaced. I think I got great value for my dollar. Time will tell, but I don't think I bought a bag of garbage :) Thanks for all your help steering me. It was a tough call, but the lack of electronic features, the locking diff, hi and low gear, pull start, and many other things people suggested were all there on this Prairie.

Ive actually heard the 360 is a really good bike,,,enjoy,,and at $4000 you cant lose

SPEYMAN
06-19-2015, 01:12 PM
The best ATV for you is the one that has all the bells and whistles you want, sold by the closest dealer to you that will provide the service you expect and demand. Price will be a factor, but not that much. Compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges, watch out for lemons.

Ferenc
06-19-2015, 02:59 PM
Dump some Seafoam into the tank.. It will clean things up also.

Busterpayton54
06-19-2015, 05:58 PM
I'm so glad this thread didn't end in tragedy

Elkaholic1977
06-19-2015, 06:30 PM
my 99 honda foreman 450 rocks never had a problem yet!

russm
06-19-2015, 08:10 PM
yamaha kodiak!!!!!!!!

My dad just picked up a 400 kodiak off a buddy I work with and it's been a goo reliable machine so far, it's an '02 so it's not fuel injected (not really a concern to me), it's not the biggest quad around but my dads a pretty big guy and it hauls him around just fine and you can fit it it the back of a truck with the tail gate up, lots of the new ones almost seem TOO big.

JIL_24/7
06-19-2015, 11:46 PM
Well, seeing as I started this thread a couple of years ago I suppose I can chime in. The Kawasaki Prairie I purchased is an awesome machine really. It has a locking diff, automatic, 4x4 and hasn't skipped a beat. It is way better on gas than some of the larger engine models unless you're riding 2-up, but for a single rider it is all the power you need. I have hauled deer and moose with it, and the moose was out of some pretty nasty terrain. I really like the bike, and as long as I start it up for a bit every month it always runs strong. I would buy one again for sure. I also added heated grips, a gun boot and recently a windshield and fairing all of which have been good adds and are easily done yourself to save a ton of money.

blackford
06-20-2015, 12:21 PM
Just bought a 2014 King Quad 500. First bike I have ever had. I am looking forward to taking a cruise in the back roads.. I have gone for a cruise a few times around the block and I think my neighbors have had enough of me....

Sofa King
06-20-2015, 12:46 PM
The best ATV for you is the one that has all the bells and whistles you want, sold by the closest dealer to you that will provide the service you expect and demand. Price will be a factor, but not that much. Compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges, watch out for lemons.

this.
personal preference is pretty much it.
rather than ask "what is best" i think asking "what ones to avoid" is better info.
its always good to hear what problems people have encountered.

Good2bCanadian
06-20-2015, 02:53 PM
Small bore bikes don't cut it when your trying to climb a steep snow covered hill or cross a boggy section of road.
4lo has more than enough power for crawling and grunting around, but there are times when HP is a must.

Also it's sure nice to have that big bore when covering ground. My buddy's Yammy 450 is revving pretty good covering ground above 60kmphr. While my 550 does it much better and a RZR 800 will do it with ease.