PDA

View Full Version : Baiting deer?

kako99
06-26-2012, 09:48 AM
I was looking in the reg's to see if it's legal to bait deer in bc. The only thing I found was it is elegal to bait bears, wolfs, coyotes, ect. Can any one comferim with me if it's legal or not to bait deer in bc. Thanks

rocksteady
06-26-2012, 09:52 AM
Perfectly legal... end stop....

Baiting not allowed for:
Bears
"dangerous animals" where you could be risking public (ie. feeding cougars off your back porch in town)
Baiting for migratory birds (ducks) within so many metres of a bird sanctuary.. (Someone on here who is a duck hunter can confirm this detail)...

kako99
06-26-2012, 09:54 AM
Perfect! Thanks for your time.

porkncheese
06-26-2012, 09:58 AM
I think that everything you bring in with you must leave with you. Its the only stipulation I have heard off. Bring in a bunch of apples, leave with whatever is left at the end of the day. hay, oats, salt licks etc....anybody else heard of this? or am I on crazy pills?

rocksteady
06-26-2012, 10:04 AM
Crazy pills....

6.5x55
06-26-2012, 11:22 AM
So deer hunting is now sitting on your ass 30ft up in a tree stand over a bait station waiting to snipe a deer @ 25yds ? No thanks sounds like a total fail.

rocksteady
06-26-2012, 11:27 AM
For a one legged old timer who can't walk far, and whos vision is close to Mr. Magoos.... I think its an epic win :)

KB90
06-26-2012, 11:35 AM
So deer hunting is now sitting on your ass 30ft up in a tree stand over a bait station waiting to snipe a deer @ 25yds ? No thanks sounds like a total fail.

Taken from your robo duck thread.

funny you should mention cornfields as I was in a freshly cut one in the Chilliwack area and there was corn everywhere.

From Deer to Waterfowl, what's the difference?

kako99
06-26-2012, 11:41 AM
That's the way I roll bud. For the books I will be hunting with a bow.

riflebuilder
06-26-2012, 07:58 PM
To each their own. I have hunted over bait and had a lot of fun just watching the deer fight each other. Some of those does are mean when it comes to the grub. No different than sitting over a food plot or hay field in AB. Go for a walk sit in a tree go for a drive, shoot of the back porch it is just putting meat in the freezer as long as it is legal and safe.

Gunner Staal
06-26-2012, 08:54 PM
Lol. I love guys who slag on people for hunting on bait. Put a bow in your hands and come sit in my tree stand all day, freeze your ass off and then try and make the shot. Just because there's food on the ground doesn't mean the bucks lose all sense of reality and come screaming in from all directions. Hunting in its own right is a challenge regardless of methods. Baitem up and knock me down. Any kill is a trophy.

keoke
06-26-2012, 09:15 PM
"
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by 6.5x55 http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1170362#post1170362)

Taken from your robo duck thread.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by 6.5x55 http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=788480#post788480)
funny you should mention cornfields as I was in a freshly cut one in the Chilliwack area and there was corn everywhere.

From Deer to Waterfowl, what's the difference?

He shoots the ducks at 60 yards

Big Lew
06-26-2012, 09:24 PM
This has been hashed many times.....if it's legal, go for it if that's something you'd like to try. I haven't done it, or hunted from tree stands, but if the opportunity was presented to me, I would have no problem in giving it a try, although I know I would have a difficult time sitting in one place for a long time. To me, it's the same as fishing....I love to fly-fish, it's my favourite method of fishing 90% of the time, but if trolling or spin casting is the only successful method at a specific location, I'll grab a trolling or spinning rod, even dig up a mess of worms, you bet!

Good2bCanadian
06-27-2012, 03:06 PM
I agree. If its legal go for it!

Each there own.
Have fun good luck.

Dont fall asleep in the blind , the big buck will come.

thunderheart
06-28-2012, 09:31 AM
For a one legged old timer who can't walk far, and whos vision is close to Mr. Magoos.... I think its an epic win :)

have we met ..lol

rocksteady
06-28-2012, 11:32 AM
Not me... Describing someone else... Mr. Hypothetically Speaking

Hank Hunter
06-28-2012, 12:09 PM

Another intraweb hunting judge, who knows zero about the posters circumstances

hunter1947
06-29-2012, 03:22 AM
There is nothing wrong doing if any one wants to put bait out for deer and elk when the regs say it is legal ,if not then it would be in the hunting regs ,good luck to all that put bait out for elk and deer..

Me I am an old timer now at 65 years old this Sept ,,when I get to the point when I can't do much more walking then I will be sitting up on these bait stations don't know when but it won't be to long down the road when I will have to do this.

I myself put out 7 baiting stations for deer and elk for the last 4 years and me I have never shot any animals at my bating stations :smile:..

For me I like putting out the feed and salt during the summer months with my trail cam 20 feet out from the baiting station working 24 seven to get good quality shots from the animals within this area ,the trail cam shots tell me if there are any decent animals to hunt in the areas where my trail cams are out its like there is 7 more eyes out there scouting for you 24 hours seven days a week I like :smile:..

The Dude
06-29-2012, 03:44 AM
Isn't a 6.5 x 55 also described as "The Swede"?
Just a random question......

drgame
06-30-2012, 09:24 PM
sat on lots of baits in saskatchewan for deer, best experience I ever had. Whats the best bait to use for elk up here near prince george?

leadpillproductions
07-01-2012, 07:23 AM
People will never get it . Just cause u don't like it it must be wrong to do lol
I hunt deer and bait sit my ass in a tree stand. -30 ya real easy to do . I shot my wt twp seasons agoo
Never hunted so hard for a deer from aug 15 to nov 21. Ya easy lol . You get to see deer do thing that u wouldn't get to otherwise.

Ruger4
07-01-2012, 07:34 AM
Isn't a 6.5 x 55 also described as "The Swede"?
Just a random question......

thats exactly what I was thinking

HIGHRPM
07-03-2012, 09:41 PM

Sounds like American deer hunting ! They don't hunt, they just kill, big bloody difference ! Spot and stalk, show your stuff and be a real hunter.

BCHunterTV
07-03-2012, 09:54 PM
Sounds like American deer hunting ! They don't hunt, they just kill, big bloody difference ! Spot and stalk, show your stuff and be a real hunter.

baiting may not be your thing but Highrpm baiting deer is legal so please dont start insulting people

Ourea
07-03-2012, 10:32 PM
Im on the fence somewhat.
My gang of outcasts and I have been using blocks at our trail cam locations. Without a doubt it repatterns game. Once they find it they become somewhat habituated. It's unatural ...in a natural environment..... sure lets us get a good account of whats available though.
However....
Anyone sittin at minus 30 over a bait stand with a bow...hats off...weeks on end for "the buck" they got pics of or know about ... have at 'er.
We as hunters have more and more tools to assist in our quest for success.....how much more do we really need....
Are we gettin lazier....or hungrier.?
I use the tools afforded to me but question them at times.

reach
07-03-2012, 11:02 PM
LOL. A question was asked in post #1, answered in post #2, acknowledged in post #3, all within 6 minutes. Yet here we are a week later still debating :D

Ambush
07-04-2012, 06:44 AM

Yeah, baiting is not sporting. Get yourself a long range scope and rifle, stalk to within 650 yards and snipe 'em.

The Dude
07-04-2012, 06:52 AM
Yeah, baiting is not sporting. Get yourself a long range scope and rifle, stalk to within 650 yards and snipe 'em.

LMAO. Bravo!

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r223/sandyquill/Applause.gif

NaStY
07-04-2012, 07:12 AM

If it's legal then it's legal. No frowning on the way others hunt just because you think it's wrong or you don't like it.

hunter1947
07-05-2012, 03:04 AM
There are so many opinions on this subject every one to there own what ever you like doing thats your decision as long as its legal..

buck nash
07-05-2012, 06:51 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_A3CZmkLo5mw/S0QfIK7DIvI/AAAAAAAAIKQ/HlD27wQ8PHg/s400/soap_box.gif
You'll be needing this I think.

moose2
07-06-2012, 12:23 AM
I have had a camera sitting on bait for all of Nov deer season the last two years, and got 1000's of pictures. Have seen some nice bucks at night ,but only have a few pictures of the big ones in day light. So out of about 240 hours of day light pictures I have about 4 minutes of big bucks. This could be along wait in -20 or colder. So I wouldn't call this easy, we have seen bigger bucks in the fields when we have been driving to check our cameras. As far as hunting methods go, do it the way you like and enjoy the outdoors.
Mike

junkyard_g
07-07-2012, 03:26 PM
United we stand, divided we fall. Bait vs non-bait, bow vs rifle, bow vs crossbow, meat hunters vs trophy hunters, private land vs crown land hunting, meat hunters vs predator hunters. All this talk only hurts the hunting community and does the antis work for them. Hunting is hunting. Anyone who thinks the way they hunt is the only "real way of hunting" is being close minded.
Sitting by any food source is a form of baiting. As far as bait being unnatural and changing patterns; bush roads are unnatural and change patterns, farms are unnatural and change patterns, cutblocks are unnatural and change patterns. Unless your naked throwing rocks at goats in some far off backcountry there is something "unnatural" about your hunt.

BCHunterTV
07-08-2012, 09:08 AM
i got my bait started yesterday, 3 spots...whole oats, whole corn, alpha pellets, 3 salt blocks and 3 peanut butter

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/532346_10150903994265069_2054331758_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/487360_10150904001305069_1336942355_n.jpg

The Dude
07-08-2012, 09:45 AM
Unless your naked throwing rocks at goats in some far off backcountry there is something "unnatural" about your hunt.

Did you catch me on a trail cam, or just psychic?

r106
07-08-2012, 11:00 AM
United we stand, divided we fall. Bait vs non-bait, bow vs rifle, bow vs crossbow, meat hunters vs trophy hunters, private land vs crown land hunting, meat hunters vs predator hunters. All this talk only hurts the hunting community and does the antis work for them. Hunting is hunting. Anyone who thinks the way they hunt is the only "real way of hunting" is being close minded.
Sitting by any food source is a form of baiting. As far as bait being unnatural and changing patterns; bush roads are unnatural and change patterns, farms are unnatural and change patterns, cutblocks are unnatural and change patterns. Unless your naked throwing rocks at goats in some far off backcountry there is something "unnatural" about your hunt.

Well put........

junkyard_g
07-08-2012, 12:28 PM
i was wondering who that was. lol

wolf
07-08-2012, 11:16 PM
Sticks & stones are not a legal hunting tools, otherwise good to go.
United we stand

W

hunter1947
07-09-2012, 03:53 AM
i got my bait started yesterday, 3 spots...whole oats, whole corn, alpha pellets, 3 salt blocks and 3 peanut butter

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/532346_10150903994265069_2054331758_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/487360_10150904001305069_1336942355_n.jpg

I like your set up ,what is the 4 inch pipe for that is holding your camera ???.

Riverboatfantasy
07-09-2012, 04:24 AM
I believe he stores his rifle in the pipe so he does not have to carry it each time.

BCHunterTV
07-09-2012, 05:36 AM
I like your set up ,what is the 4 inch pipe for that is holding your camera ???.

the pipe is full of feed, they eat from the cut out section. That red thing that appears to be attached to the pipe is a jar of peanut butter. I remove the lid, screw it to the tree then re-attatch the jar and cut off the bottom