PDA

View Full Version : anybody hunt with a weimeraner?

cameron0518
06-25-2012, 08:17 PM
Just wondering anybody's experience with this type of dog. Has anyone ever had one track for them? I hear and have read plenty that they are hyper? On a scale of 1-10, what would you say?

reach
06-25-2012, 10:49 PM
No first hand experience but I was just talking to a guy at the dog park today. He said his 2 year old weimaraner was his elk hunting buddy and would crawl along on her belly while they were stalking :) He also said he hunts waterfowl with her.

From the ones (only 2 or 3) I've seen at the dog parks, yes they are hyper, but they're bred to be hunting dogs so I'm sure you could make one work if you start early.

longstonec
06-25-2012, 11:07 PM
No more hyper then a springer, or toller, or why I don't think.

06-25-2012, 11:19 PM
You bet, used ours and trained ours for Pheasant and Ducks, not a real swimmer in cold weather but faired OK, the NOSE was terrific and was great to shoot over holding point.

Like any dog or KID ..... put in your time and you will be rewarded ....... great family dog too.

CT

shottyshooter
06-25-2012, 11:29 PM
Yes- hyper - 10. My first was attached to me at the hip - If I adjusted my feet at the computer she would actually move the two inches necessary to still be resting on my toes. Her disposition was great but she absolutley needed - NEEDED - to run off leash for at least half an hour plus have a long evening walk. Second was great too but I married into allergies and had more kids so she had to be adopted out before she went insane.

This breed is awsome. And although I never trained mine for hunting, they are supposed to be excellent if you choose a breeder who is concerned with hunting. I still visit my second dog and she is very well exercised - but she will still start going mental around noon if she hasn't burned off any steam yet. Even in pairs or packs they don't like to run around without the Alpha. I had friends that would bring their dogs over and we'd put them out back where the other dogs would run and play and actively try to get her to join but she would never stray too far from the back door. Point of the story is that mine wouldn't entertain themselves - I had to be actively exercising them.

Amazingly loyal and loving but you need to devote 1-2 hrs a day to their exercise.

Spy
06-25-2012, 11:40 PM
Great breed! Great family,Hunting dogs & companions! Great retrievers,pointing is an acquired trait & they don't like cold water retrieves but will still go,lots of heart ! Great dogs to train for all hunting situations!
I had a cross Weimeraner Dalmatian best hunting dog/buddy anyone could ask for, a truly one in a million dog!

Spy
06-25-2012, 11:49 PM
Heres a picture of my pup Spy & his Weimeraner buddy Max after an exhausting mornings work !

http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy226/Hunterspy/img094.jpg
RIP Buddy's

thehammer
06-28-2012, 08:34 AM
Nice shotguns SPY

Foxton Gundogs
06-28-2012, 09:39 AM
OK heres where the "bear $hit in the buckwheat". I get tired of hearing that this breed is hyper or that breed isnt. It's all a matter of breeding and individuallity. I have 2 springers, both are field trial champion blood lines, both are 100 percent field bred. Tip the bitch is always ready to go when she works her feet never touch the ground she has 3 speeds, Waiting to go fast, going fast and going faster. Casey the male is out of Tips 1/2 sister, he runs big and runs hard BUT he is quite capeable of going 1/2 speed or even slow and when he is at rest or waiting he is as chilled out as an old Basset Hound. My point is you need to appraise the individual dogs sure some breeds tend to be more laid back than others but the fact is there are high powered and laid back individuals form every breed and line. As far as as Weimers being good gun dogs, I've worked with a few and they all turned into good upland/waterfowl dogs but training and followup is as with all dogs the key.

Good luck
FG

thehammer
06-28-2012, 09:52 AM
To add to Foxtons note, not enough excercise will make any field dog "HYPER" around the home.

FirePower
06-28-2012, 10:58 AM
To add to Foxtons note, not enough excercise will make any field dog "HYPER" around the home.

Excercise and training are deffinately the key to a happy, enjoyable dog.

cameron0518
07-02-2012, 03:58 AM
thanks. appreciate the advice. second time i have heard the bear sh.t in the buckwheat. i don't totally get it but i like it.
OK heres where the "bear $hit in the buckwheat". I get tired of hearing that this breed is hyper or that breed isnt. It's all a matter of breeding and individuallity. I have 2 springers, both are field trial champion blood lines, both are 100 percent field bred. Tip the bitch is always ready to go when she works her feet never touch the ground she has 3 speeds, Waiting to go fast, going fast and going faster. Casey the male is out of Tips 1/2 sister, he runs big and runs hard BUT he is quite capeable of going 1/2 speed or even slow and when he is at rest or waiting he is as chilled out as an old Basset Hound. My point is you need to appraise the individual dogs sure some breeds tend to be more laid back than others but the fact is there are high powered and laid back individuals form every breed and line. As far as as Weimers being good gun dogs, I've worked with a few and they all turned into good upland/waterfowl dogs but training and followup is as with all dogs the key.

Good luck
FG

switchback
07-05-2012, 09:44 AM
The Weimeraner is a beutiful looking dog and has been very popular as such. Lots of dogs have been bred but not neccessarily for hunting.
You should decide what you want to use your dog for and then find a breeder that can supply what you are looking for in your dog. Phone some dog clubs for contacts and check out the parents. Take your time an get a feel for the breed and all the individual blood lines within the breed.

chinooker
08-29-2012, 08:44 PM
The one I had would absolutely go apeshit when left alone. She would howl non stop and destroy whatever enclosure she was in.

Jimsue
08-30-2012, 12:20 PM
You can make toast in a frying pan....... but why would you want to? Get a good field bred lab and work with it. To many hunting breeds have been watered down by the show people. Do your research whatever you decide to get. There was a weimeraner that trained with us for a while, he was a pretty good dog on land marks.

weatherby_man
08-30-2012, 12:34 PM
I have hunted over them for ducks and geese. Properly trained they are good dogs and retrieve well. I have a wiemer as a pet, he is very obedient and needs lots of exercise which is fine and not bad for me either. I unfortunately didn't have the time to train him for hunting but he is an excellent family dog.

MillBay
08-30-2012, 01:40 PM
"You can make toast in a frying pan....... but why would you want to? Get a good field bred lab and work with it."

Maybe the OP wanted a pointing dog, thus your statement makes no sence.

MichelD
08-30-2012, 01:46 PM
I met a guy in the parking area of a marsh I go to one morning before daybreak and he had two weimaraners. He invited me to join him. The dogs were well behaved waiting for birds and very good retrievers. One was really birdy and was even spotting distant jets and watching them.

When I shot a snow goose before his human did, he came and sat with me.

His wife bred them for field trials I think you call it ( I don't know anything about the dog show world) and he trained them for hunting.

Foxton Gundogs
08-30-2012, 06:32 PM
As stated before it is all in the breeding I remember when they first started to become popular, they got a bad rap because they could never have lived up to the hype they got. Tey were permoted as being able to our tetrieve the best labs, out point the best pointers and out track the best hounds. Of course that was not the case and when they didnt live up they were unjustly pushed aside and relegated to the show ring. Fortuantely a few staunch supporters kept breeding them for the field and there are still some good field bred examples out there if you look

RVB
10-23-2012, 09:11 AM
My Weim, Mia, was a great dog. Seemed to have the same energy level as my buddies GWP. She hated to be left alone, like most Weims, but with patience and work she learned that I would always come back. Like any pointing breed, they need a lot of exercise. At age 7 she mellowed slightly, and was simply an awesome dog and hunting companion. She would retrieve ducks/geese, but the best times we had were hunting ruffies together.

Thought I would have a few more years with her, but unfortunately she developed a stomach tumour, and I had to put her down two months ago. Hardest day of my life....

Did I mention exercise?

Cheers,

R

cameron0518
10-23-2012, 09:17 AM
sry to hear. always a crappy day.