PDA

View Full Version : jetboil

argyle1
06-25-2012, 07:45 AM
does anyone use a jetboil backpack stove----do they have to use jetboil fuel cannisters, or can they use generic fuel cans---what is your favourite backpack stove??

lawlu
06-25-2012, 07:58 AM
Just picked up the Jetboil the other day. It is so FAST! You can use any fuel canister for it (isobutane blend), but only the smallest size will work if you want to store it inside the cup part. I have this and the SnowPeak Gigapower stove for backup as it is tiny and uses the same fuel.

Weatherby Fan
06-25-2012, 08:12 AM
I use the jetboil backpack stove all the time, keep it in my daypack also.I find it very easy to use,efficient and self contained,and the canisters last surprisingly long.Not sure if u can use generic fuel cels.
I was boiling water for coffee in under 2 minutes at 3500 feet in -10 last Nov deer hunting.
I used a Coleman peakone with separate canister and pump for years,worked ok but was a pain pumping the fuel cel in really cold weather and repairing yearly as the seals would dry out.

I would say Jetboil is the best system I've used so far for backpacking.
WF

bigwhiteys
06-25-2012, 08:55 AM
You can use any kind of fuel canister that is the same or similar isobutane mix. Jetpower (jetboil brand), Primus, Brunton are all brands I have used.

RiverOtter
06-25-2012, 05:25 PM
I've only ran Primus on mine with no issues...

argyle1
06-25-2012, 06:47 PM
right on --thanks--jetboil it is

argyle1
06-25-2012, 06:58 PM
a guy in ontario has them on ebay $94.95 , n o frieght, no tax

BCRiverBoater
06-25-2012, 08:46 PM
It is the best stove I have ever used. I found it to boil water faster than any other stove and therefore uses less fuel. It is the only stove I would use at this point.

It will take any of the isobutane mixes as most of the same threads on the top. The small canister is the only one that fits in the cup itself. With the cup it comes with I do not carry any other pots although I did buy the one pot from jetboil but I have yet to use it.

big game chaser
06-25-2012, 09:23 PM
The back packer store here in prince george doesnt carry jetboil anymore they told me ! So does anyone know of a place here to buy them or what would be second choice of stove?

moosinaround
06-25-2012, 09:27 PM
The back packer store here in prince george doesnt carry jetboil anymore they told me ! So does anyone know of a place here to buy them or what would be second choice of stove?
Nechako Outdoors had some on Saturday! Moosin

anglo-saxon
06-25-2012, 09:30 PM
Don't forget that butane is affected by sub-zero temps. I like my Whisperlite multi-fuel.

Moose Guide
06-25-2012, 09:35 PM
I use an Optimus Ranger 199, no steel canisters to pack out! It will work on kerosene, white gas or alcohol.

Moose Guide
06-25-2012, 09:48 PM
I use the jetboil backpack stove all the time, keep it in my daypack also.I find it very easy to use,efficient and self contained,and the canisters last surprisingly long.Not sure if u can use generic fuel cels.
I was boiling water for coffee in under 2 minutes at 3500 feet in -10 last Nov deer hunting.
I used a Coleman peakone with separate canister and pump for years,worked ok but was a pain pumping the fuel cel in really cold weather and repairing yearly as the seals would dry out.

I would say Jetboil is the best system I've used so far for backpacking.
WF

Remember, the higher the elevation, the quicker water boils.

RiverOtter
06-26-2012, 05:44 AM

Sign up to MEC(Mountain Equipment Co-Op) for $5 and order a JB Sol for $115. Shipping is fast, and free on orders $50 and more....

BCRiverBoater
06-26-2012, 05:52 AM
Only problem is MEC is part of the anti's. They have good products but you can buy them at other stores that support hunting and fishing. I try not to support MEC unless I can not find the product elsewhere. I will pay a little more even to support local stores that believe in the same values I believe in. Just my opinion. I have also found so many localy owned and operated stores that will meet Wholesale Sports, MEC and Cabela's for price and usually beat them if you just talk to them.

RiverOtter
06-26-2012, 05:35 PM
I hear ya on the anti-hunting, but do they actually support organizations against hunting financially, or do they just not endorse hunting, in and of itself?

The odds of finding most of the "GOOD" stuff a guy needs "GATHERED" in one location and priced competively are next to impossible, and at the price gas is at I'm not gonna drive all over hell looking for it. I'm also not big on having stuff "SOLD" to me, as I much prefer to educate myself on the products best suited to my needs, and go looking specifically for what I want. And when I find what I want, the last thing I want to do is dicker for a competitive price.

Iltasyuko
06-26-2012, 05:57 PM
I sent an email to MEC a few years ago asking if they have a position on hunting. The response was basically they neither condone or condem hunting.

338 winmag
06-26-2012, 06:07 PM

The Wildlife has some as well, they are right downtown.

jtred
06-26-2012, 06:43 PM
I just bought a Primus Express Ti, weighs 2.4 oz, folds up nicely into my cookset, boiled 1.4 l in 3 min, and will fit all the standard fuel mix cannisters(MSR, Primus power, Brunton, etc). I've only used it a couple of times but it got rave reviews in different hiking sites,magazines, and from consumers. I'll be doing more gear testing in July on a short pack trip north of my hometown here in the Kootenays. Just in the process of gearing up for more backcountry hunting/camping and I'm not made of cash so we'll see how it goes.

RiverOtter
06-26-2012, 07:17 PM
Curious to hear how it does in the field with cold and wind...

By the time you buy a pot with lid, heat exchanger, and wind shield, you'll be well into/past JB Sol territory; Price wise.......

anglo-saxon
06-27-2012, 10:51 AM
Only problem is MEC is part of the anti's. They have good products but you can buy them at other stores that support hunting and fishing. I try not to support MEC unless I can not find the product elsewhere. I will pay a little more even to support local stores that believe in the same values I believe in. Just my opinion. I have also found so many localy owned and operated stores that will meet Wholesale Sports, MEC and Cabela's for price and usually beat them if you just talk to them.

X 2. I do use MEC on occasion, but much prefer to go elsewhere (even Wholesale Sports if you can believe that!). Between the "prissyness", the oh-so-enlightened "Mother Earth" mentality, and spindly guys that look like hobos or chicks with beards (or both), I just about vomit whenever I walk in the door!

BackPackHunter
06-27-2012, 05:27 PM
I use to run a jet boil, worked great... But I wanted lighter, and something that worked a little better in the cold temps
I run a Soto Micro Reg Stove with wind screen, & Snow Peak Ti trek 1400 when hunting with a partner, and the 900 when solo
with the Snow Peaks 600ml hot lips mug

RiverOtter
06-28-2012, 06:02 PM
I use to run a jet boil, worked great... But I wanted lighter, and something that worked a little better in the cold temps
I run a Soto Micro Reg Stove with wind screen, & Snow Peak Ti trek 1400 when hunting with a partner, and the 900 when solo
with the Snow Peaks 600ml hot lips mug

Not sure what model you had, but the Sol has a regulator valve for cold temps.