PDA

View Full Version : Bridge Lake Area Scouting for Fall

Griffon
06-24-2012, 10:48 PM
Hey All.... I will be in the Bridge lake area in early August with the family for holidays and want to scout the area for fall Deer hunting, thought I would ask the group for general info and any tips on where to look etc....how was the hunting in that area last year?

Thanks to everyone on this board....I don't post much but always learn allot on here!

:-D

Jelvis
06-24-2012, 10:51 PM
how long is your window of time at bridge lake .. to look around? Because altho it sounds like a smaller place, it is quite large of an area with diverse habitat and access roads.

coach
06-24-2012, 11:33 PM
The deer that are there in August will be around until early October and then they'll be gone - migrating south and west toward the Fraser. You'll find mostly mulies - but there's pockets of whitetails (population is steadily growing). Moose population is pretty good - spike fork season in region 3 - but not in 5.

Good luck and make sure to post your pics and stories!

Big Lew
06-25-2012, 08:06 AM
Used to have a cabin on Bridge Lake for many years, and found high up on Windy Mountain a good place as well as snooping around the roads on both sides of the hwy to Little Fort at the height of land above the long hill productive before, as "Coach" comments, they migrate in the latter part of October. Windy Mountain seems to be the dividing point between deer migrating to the Fraser, and deer migrating toward the Thompson.

Weatherby Fan
06-25-2012, 08:22 AM
You may want to check with the Mayor of Bridge Lake "Remington Jim" to ensure you have clearance to scout,camp or hunt in the area :mrgreen:

ElliotMoose
06-25-2012, 09:26 AM
How are you wanting to scout? (By truck, quad, hiking etc.) That region is my playground, and I would be happy to point you in the right direction as to where you could find a deer kickin around come fall. As mentioned before though, these mountains are crawling with deer this time of year. It's not out of the ordinary to see anywhere from 30-50 in a day of scouting, but come mid october majority of them have migrated out of the area. PM me if you'd like, and as Big Lew mentioned Windy Mountain is a good place to start

russm86
06-25-2012, 09:34 AM
I have thought about going hunting in that area a few times as it is the closest point to get into region 5 for me from Kamloops but looking at different maps I thought it might be kinda difficult hunting there as there seems to be many many cabins and resorts and ranches spread through out the area and thus a large amount of private property so wasn't sure what the crown land hunting would be like and how many hunted the area. I try to avoid areas I have to line up to get a nice hunting spot on crown land so have never made my way in there yet. But I have never been able to talk to anyone that lives up that way either.

Jelvis
06-25-2012, 03:58 PM
Lower part of MU 5-1 is good for mule deer, the southern most part.
Bridge Lake area is MU's in Region 3.
Region 5 and 3 divide by Roe Lake on Hwy 24 the "Fishermens Highway" .. Fishing is funtastic also ..
Check the boundaries on the border of Reg 5 and Region 3 and check the Mu's in Region 3 closest to Bridge lake
Moose habitat galore, mule deer, bear and grouse and water fowl.
Hwy 24 runs between Little Fort on the Yellow Head Hwy 5 to come out by 108 Ranch on Hwy to George.
Hammer Lake is popular for moose and deer and bear and grouse. Wavey Lake above and west of Bridge has moose.
Up from Roe Lake past Windy Mt into Region 5 has moose and deer also.
Bridge Lake is a top notch wildlife region with many healthy animals and lakes to fish every day a different lake til yah stop fishing.
From Little Fort side in, you got moose and deer as you leave the Fort heading west on the Hwy 24, head to top of hill or turn up to Tawheel Lake, if you stay on the hwy 24 to your left on top is Birch Lake on the right you can go to Crater Lake, or keep driving the 24 and hit Bridge Lake. Now you can go down to Hammer or up to other classic moose and deer habitat like Windy or Wavey. It's all gravy.
Jp .. Bridge Lake .. Hammer .. Roe .. Machette .. Moose .. Deer .. Trout .. Thuya .. Tahwheel .. tah tah wheel good

REMINGTON JIM
06-25-2012, 04:04 PM
You may want to check with the Mayor of Bridge Lake "Remington Jim" to ensure you have clearance to scout,camp or hunt in the area :mrgreen:

Mayor says no deer here - no moose here - no grouse here- no fish here- don't know why i even live here ! :shock: JELVIS knows nothing ! :?: RJ

Jelvis
06-25-2012, 04:21 PM
The locals call it Janice Lake but the map calls it?
A new road joins with the end of Gorman Lake and Patrick to the hwy 24 now west of Birch Lake.
At Darlield and up through Patrick. Moose the size of bison up there. And Bah Hucks, you'll crap yer shorts.
Bonaparte Lake, Mayson, MeToots, Gorman Lake, Janice Lake, Lac De Roche, Sheridan, Fawn Lake.
Jp .. Too many to mention and I'm on pension .. If you can't get a leh moose or gos deer up here .. Hang em up ..

Jelvis
06-25-2012, 05:41 PM
What MU is your Bridge Lake in? Are you talking Bridge Lake by Hwy 24 or by Lillooet?
Nail down the MU.

Big Lew
06-25-2012, 07:18 PM
Keep in mind that there are a lot of local residents living around Sheriden and Bridge Lakes now as well a large community at Deka lake. Add the amount of non- permanent cottage owners, and that represents a lot of hunters likely to have some intimate knowledge as to where the best hunting might be. As usual though, most hunters cruise the roads or use atvs along the trails.....it's up to you to check out the places the crowds overlook. Top ends of logging slashes accessed only by foot, even if they are old ones, the other side of swampy or boggy areas also only accessed by foot or canoe. I was successful in taking many moose and deer over the years between Deka Lake and north or south of hwy 24 all the way to the top of the hill above Little Fort. Areas around Wavey Lake, Tobe Lake, Friendly Lake, and of course, on top of Windy Mountain. Poke your nose into the 'out-of-the-way' pockets and you're likely to find some hidey-holes where the animals feel safe from the human crowds that race about all summer long. These 'safe havens' sometimes aren't very far from well traveled roads either, you just have to be keenly observant for freshly used game trails along the sides of the roads, especially at natural crossing places like draws or gradual ridges.

REMINGTON JIM
06-25-2012, 07:22 PM
WHO is JELVIS anyway :?: Is he completely :?: :idea: or just a bit ! :rolleyes: RJ

Jelvis
06-25-2012, 07:58 PM
Your from the Island so you need to figure out where your going to drive to get to Bridge lake.
Come up one way and go down the tuther. Up the Coquihalla to Kamloops and up the Yellowhead 5 to Little Fort turn onto Hwy24 to Bridge Lake then when done you go out to Clinton and down through Cache crick.

REMINGTON JIM
06-25-2012, 08:15 PM
WHO is JELVIS anyway :?: Is he completely :?: :idea: or just a bit ! :rolleyes: RJ

Jelvis you are amazing ! LOL What a nice fellow you are ! :smile: RJ