PDA

View Full Version : 87 Martin Lynx Seeking Info

Nosler06
06-24-2012, 10:14 PM
Hi, I am re-kindling and old friend. I have a show room condition 87' Martin Lynx compound bow and am in process of getting back to shooting some arrows. The bow has been in my display ever since I destroyed my shoulder in 1991. I was wondering if anyone knew if the limb bolts have some sort of stop to them when they are backed off. I am replacing the string and changing from finger pulling to a release. I wonder if it would be in my best interest to diasasemble the bow and re-grease the bolts and check that there is no inside rust on threads. I would welcome any suggestions.

Thanks

Bowzone_Mikey
06-30-2012, 06:26 PM
Hi, I am re-kindling and old friend. I have a show room condition 87' Martin Lynx compound bow and am in process of getting back to shooting some arrows. The bow has been in my display ever since I destroyed my shoulder in 1991. I was wondering if anyone knew if the limb bolts have some sort of stop to them when they are backed off. I am replacing the string and changing from finger pulling to a release. I wonder if it would be in my best interest to diasasemble the bow and re-grease the bolts and check that there is no inside rust on threads. I would welcome any suggestions.

Thanks

I would press it and take it all apart .... no there are not any "bump" stops on limb bolts ...

If i recall correctly that bow has real steel cables and Teardrops to attach a string to. replace the string ....

if it has been sitting for the last 20+ years under tension I suspect the limbs are not long for this world.

I too would suggest getting a new bow if you plan to shoot alot ... todays tech will be easy going on your shoulder. Not that your bow will blow up ... but it is reaching that antique status ... do you really wanna take the chance?

kgriz
10-30-2012, 09:52 PM
Antique status? New bows more easy going on your shoulder...please...my buddy shot that exact same bow in the late 80's and I shot a split-limb check-mate, either of which I would pick up and shoot tommorrow and probably with a bit of practice over the 290's like the "old" days with our "antiques". ....and with fingers and pins no less...I've recently watched some younger guys target shooting and notice all that the new "better" equipment does is let you shoot higher scores sooner...nobody was shooting any better than we used too...maybe worse..a lot of technique has been lost to the fact that things are a bit easier now and less practice in general needed for good scores.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
11-18-2012, 07:03 PM
Thats funny . i have the excat same Bow and i was just thinking about taking it somewhere and maybe spending a little money on getting it tuned up and use it for few more years . the reason i want to keep using it is because i like using a finger tab . and the new ones you will have to use a quick release .