PDA

View Full Version : time for a new "old" hunting story.

kyleklassen
06-23-2012, 09:49 PM
After re-reading last seasons reports it is time for a new story.
Dateline....approx..18 years ago.
place...wigeon island B.C.
conditions....flooding of the cowichan estuary.
After scouting the bay and only finding 1 large flock of wigeon feeding on the outside edge of wigeon island i call up a friend and give him the report..he agrees to come down and give it a shot, the plan being that we will jump these wigeon then throw out the decoys and see what shows up.
I ask the old man if he wants to join us...." hell no, with this high water you guys aren't even gonna see a duck"...O.K.
off we go..dump the boat in the water...motor up behind the island...beach the boat ...sneak thru the grass...pop up to see ducks feeding in range...hunker back down to formulate plan.."O.K. on three we jump up and let um have it"..sounds good....THREE!!!....First shot on the water next 2 shots into a solid wall of wigeon...could actually see the shots cutting a swath thru the flock....and man we must be good at math too.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/scan0113.jpg

load up ducks.... motor back to truck...2 mins to home...old man comes out on the deck and asks "what did you guys forget"....didn't forget nothin' sucka......a hunt i'll never forget.

Marc
06-23-2012, 09:57 PM
lol,

I've heard the same sort of story from one of my buddies, but it was a swarm of teal, he fired 3 shots and 8 teal fell.

longshot
06-24-2012, 07:09 PM
Gotta love those moments! I remember my dad and I have 4 geese come in, we each took 1 shot and all 4 geese were stone dead! We had another time this past season on a marsh, 6 shots 13 teal haha, had to buy lots of bacon!! :)

Crazy_Farmer
06-24-2012, 08:00 PM
Convenient how all these stories end up taking a limit of ducks.

My grandpa on the other hand back in the day shot one shot into a flock raising out of a pond and shot 13. Game warden was watching from behind him and knew he only fired once and didn't ticket him.

Neat idea for a thread though, wish I had more pictures when I was younger sharing a goose limit with my dad.

Marc
06-24-2012, 08:24 PM
Convenient how all these stories end up taking a limit of ducks.

My buddy is from back east, limit there is only 6.

Crazy_Farmer
06-24-2012, 09:17 PM
Now that's truthful!!

Seen alot of 4 canadas out of 3 shots in my younger age jumping them instead of hunting over decoys.

kyleklassen
06-25-2012, 06:29 PM
My first geese were 4 for 3 shots on opening day in cowichan bay.didn't know til i went out to pick them up.
We had 1 more too but gave it to a guy whose dog helped us out.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/224229_1040927661616_3748_n.jpg

lorneparker1
06-25-2012, 10:08 PM
I ground swatted 5 lards with 1 shot last year in a cornfield

f350ps
06-26-2012, 07:51 AM

You must be so proud! :) K

mattchu_19
06-27-2012, 06:43 AM
Funny thing, when grandpa told me the story it was 16 with one shot and then when the game warden left he got another 10 at the next pond. All with a 16 gauge model 12.

kyleklassen
06-27-2012, 09:14 PM
convenient how all these stories end up taking a limit of ducks.

My grandpa on the other hand back in the day shot one shot into a flock raising out of a pond and shot 13. Game warden was watching from behind him and knew he only fired once and didn't ticket him.

Neat idea for a thread though, wish i had more pictures when i was younger sharing a goose limit with my dad.hey....are you calling me out!!!!!...I'M REALLY GOOD WITH THE 3 R'S REEDIN' RITEIN' AND RITMATIC'

Crazy_Farmer
06-27-2012, 09:37 PM
not calling out, just poking a little fun. older picture with 3 man limit of white tops....or mostly white tops hahaha. The wigeon were suicidal in the snow, 3-4k in the air and they just kept circling the area wanting into the one grass field. I'm sure if we looked hard enough a euro would be in there.

http://members.shaw.ca/stevensml/hunting/dec%2027th3.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBEYfOuMJmk&feature=g-upl

kyleklassen
06-27-2012, 09:48 PM
you needed a .410 with steel shot for those wigeon.

Crazy_Farmer
06-27-2012, 10:01 PM
That's too sporting for these boys hahaha

branthunter
07-10-2012, 10:12 AM
Wow....... that's amazing! Did you have to take a rest or were you able to do it freehand?

lorneparker1
07-10-2012, 08:14 PM
Wow....... that's amazing! Did you have to take a rest or were you able to do it freehand?

I was laying in a layout blind, so i was at rest you could say

Lorne