PDA

View Full Version : Centerpin setup

northernwolf
06-23-2012, 05:52 PM
hey there,

I've been trying to find/research a steel head setup, Center pin reel and a drift rod.
If you have any suggestions or you have one you are willing to sell let me know.

BlacktailStalker
06-23-2012, 06:23 PM
I've been running islander steelheader reels on sage 3113s exclusively. I do believe they 'wrecked' the 3113s and made the butt stock shorter on them, which I don't like.
For smaller rivers I use the same reel with a St.Croix.

ABad
06-23-2012, 06:23 PM
try fishing with rod.com

coach
06-23-2012, 07:37 PM
I've been running islander steelheader reels on sage 3113s exclusively. I do believe they 'wrecked' the 3113s and made the butt stock shorter on them, which I don't like.
For smaller rivers I use the same reel with a St.Croix.

Bingo! But get the MB. I had the LB and it was a bit too soft with bigger fish.

BlacktailStalker
06-23-2012, 07:39 PM
Yes that's right coach

steel_ram
06-23-2012, 07:40 PM
Yikes, my Silex has been serving me for over 30 years. To be honest I haven't used much else. I did try a rare smaller dia. version of the Hardy but found line retrival was painfully slow. The Islanders seem like they serve well. I think you get what you pay for in this style reels.

My original glass Fenwick 1162(?) is getting pretty tired. It has nice flex in the belly for the long launch. I'm having a hard time finding a replacement. I don't care for the stiff newer rods and haven't found a reasonably priced one with good reviews. The Redl Titan series apparently break. Though replaced under warranty, not much good when your standing in the river. Loomis seems to be the way to go, but big money.

longstonec
06-23-2012, 07:59 PM
I use a sage 3106L with a Milner. Great rod for steelhead and coho.If you can find a good used silex I would suggest starting with that for a reel. I have never been a fan of islanders pins or mooching reels. Jims should be able to help you find something. A 10' trophy xl bucktail rod will get you started without spending 500$ on a rod!, Craigslist, and www.fishingwithrod.com are all good places too look.

northernwolf
06-27-2012, 03:38 PM
Thanks for all the info, I'll take a look and research the make and models you guys have provided. Thanks again.

06-27-2012, 03:47 PM
Can anybody tell me how to cast them damned things out into the river instead of 20 up the beach?

Hyjack over!

MB_Boy
06-27-2012, 03:56 PM
Can anybody tell me how to cast them damned things out into the river instead of 20 up the beach?

Hyjack over!

Cast with your back to the river. :-P

NaStY
06-27-2012, 04:00 PM
I really miss fishing with my Milner original I beleive it was 4 5/8 arbor matched with a sage 3113LB I custom made. Made the reel seat a little longer for better support of fighting fish.

As for casting, its an art. All you need to do is let go of the reel then cast smoothly holding back at mid cast and of course stopping the line just as your bait hits the water.

steelheadSABO
06-28-2012, 03:46 PM
Islander steelheader reel with some 12-15lb maxima and a stcroix, loomis or sage rod, Make sure the rod is not a 10'6" they may feel long in the shop but ones your on the river you'll feel undergunned i prefer from 11"3 to a 13' rod.

Gunner
06-28-2012, 08:45 PM
I've been using Super Silexes for the last 35 years,before that Silex Majors.Still haven't found anything that runs better and I doubt I will.My 4 1/4 Super that I used to use on the Thompson picks up line near as fast as a 6500,and being a little slower has picked me up a good number of fish on the retrieve over the years.Gunner

fuzzybiscuit
06-28-2012, 09:23 PM
Sage 3113 with a Milner for centre pin set up.

Sage 3106 with a Shimano Calcutta TE 400 for a bait caster.

Jim Prawn
06-28-2012, 10:07 PM

Hyjack over!

Ive been told, and it seems to work for me, that you reel your float right to the rod tip, then let go of the reel and let the gear start to fall just before starting to swing through your cast. Lets the reel pick up a little momentum first.
JP

Islander w/ 11'-3" Lamiglass, very nice - even caught a couple on it!

06-29-2012, 09:56 AM
Ive been told, and it seems to work for me, that you reel your float right to the rod tip, then let go of the reel and let the gear start to fall just before starting to swing through your cast. Lets the reel pick up a little momentum first.
JP

!

Im sure eventually i could figure it out! My buddy had a Silex and a ??? rod. I tryed it for a while on the Gold, that was back when bait was ok. I was casting into 1' of water 20' up river and he was hooking fish with my rod...... I gave up quick! I really like the idea of Centerpins, and Spey as well. I just dont do enough Steel heading anymore. And when i did it was usually small West coast rivers where 9-10' traditional Van Isle setup was it. No room to swing a 110 or 130.

Philcott
06-29-2012, 10:14 AM

Hyjack over!

I've found the best way is to unspool about 100 feet of line onto the rocks at your feet, pinch off the line with your finger so your float is just about a foot or so below the tip of your rod, slowly draw the rod tip back and with a smooth forward motion hurl your rig over the water letting go of the line at just the right time and your bait will sail smoothly through the air and land exactly where you wanted.

Ok, Ok that's a pile of scat.

Practice makes perfect with a centerpin float reel.

I like the Islander too......:smile: mine is also on a sage 3113

Black tail stocker. Let me know next time you are in Victoria and I can take you around the shop so you can see the reels in their many different stages.

06-29-2012, 10:47 AM
Yep i know about practice Phill.
I just need sponsors! Hint,,, hint,,, To fund my addiction!
or the right 6 numbers..... .338 RUM before more fishing gear!

IronNoggin
06-30-2012, 12:26 PM

Practice, and a Good Mentor helps LOADS!

I was so damn embarrassed by my initial attempts to work a centerpin that I actually hid out from The Ladz on one of the small flows here to try and figure it out. That was a rather frustrating experience, going basically on what I had read and completely un-used to the idea. Along came a good Buddy who is a Master with one of these, and while he didn't laugh overtly at my flailings, the look in his eye was enough to make me turn red. LOL!
Jump forward a couple of months, and I was soon keeping up with The Master in terms of casting, and more importantly to me - the Catching!! Now I feel I can give him a run for the money most days, and am certainly happy he came along before I chucked the whole issue literally into the drink!!

I run an Islander and LOVE IT! Matched that with a "Rogue" custom rod valued at well over a grand, and it is indeed a SWEET Set-Up! Before I got my new truck, The Ladz would openly laugh noting the rod 'n reel combo I took out of the truck when arriving at the river was worth about 2.5 times the value of the truck itself! Priorities STRAIGHT methinks!!

A few pix:

The Custom Rogue's First:

http://gallery.fishbc.com/albums/Tracks/Rogue_s_First.jpg

Normal winter conditions here:

http://gallery.fishbc.com/albums/Tracks/Chilly.jpg

A FINE Adversary:

http://gallery.fishbc.com/albums/Tracks/3_Feet_Of_Muscle.jpg

And Another:

http://gallery.fishbc.com/albums/Tracks/Consolation_2.jpg

Now that set-up is my main Go-To for steelhead and coho.

835: Any time you are in the neighborhood, feel free to give me a shout. Always willing to share what I picked up from my own Mentor, kinda like the idea of helping out much as he did for me...

Cheers,
Nog

steel_ram
06-30-2012, 04:43 PM
It doesn't take long to master after you get over the engrained spinning reel flip and shoot mentality. Before you know it you'll be landing your bobber on the far side with a one armed cast, heck you'll even be casting buzz bombs on the chuck with your favourite mooching reel.