PDA

View Full Version : quick question for atv owners.

tkoett
06-23-2012, 03:01 PM
Not to sure this is in the right section but... I'm in the market to buy my first atv. I found somthing that seems to be in decent condition and in my price range. What I need to know is the process of buying a "used" atv. Is there any paper work involved or registration? I checked it out and looks clean, problem free and in good running order, that being said I want to buy it. Are there any laws or nonsence I need to know before I hand this guy my cash. I was told that BC is in the works to make all atv registered but not yet.
The guy selling seems to be legit, we looked it through at his home. I strongley believe it's not stolen. I just want to cover my bases. When buying a used atv do I just pay up and go?
I asked him if he had any papers on it and he said no. He never insured or registered it. He used mainly on his farm so never bothered with any paper work. is this common with atv owners?

Second question is when riding in the bush and stopped by a co, do they want you to show them a title or ownership papers? or insurance? Or just insurance? This is the first time buying such an item and I don't want to get screwed.

r106
06-23-2012, 03:08 PM
I would see if you can get the serial # and run it by the RCMP just in case??? It would suck to have to register it and find out it's stolen

ruger#1
06-23-2012, 03:29 PM
He should at least have a bill of sale , If he is the original owner.

tkoett
06-23-2012, 03:36 PM
he's not the original owner. He's the second. He has no papers. So when I put liability insurance on the atv, Do i just give my insurance broker the vin # and nothing else?

Glenny
06-23-2012, 04:45 PM
What r106 said. Also if you join a gun club your liability insurance is covered for hunning and fishn through the BCWF.

allan
06-23-2012, 04:47 PM
You only need Vin# make and model for liabiltity ins. Dont forget to check seatle cl if your deal falls through for quads. You can get em cheap. I bought 07. 08 (08 almost brand new) (07 barely broken in)800 sportsmans for $9400. thats after the dust settled for all the extra taxes, and fees.

tkoett
06-23-2012, 06:00 PM
What r106 said. Also if you join a gun club your liability insurance is covered for hunning and fishn through the BCWF.

I'm a member at mission rod and gun. Does that mean I'm good to go? If so that would rock!

SPEYMAN
06-23-2012, 06:01 PM
If you are confident that this machine is not stolen,Obtain a "Bill of Sale"when you pay for and take the machine.You then contact an Insurance co. that insures ATVs,there are several,make an informed decission as to your best bang for your buck and Insure so have a minimum $200,000.00 Liability Insurance for riding FSRs.They will most likely want a copy of the Bill of Sale and the VIN.

A good deal is when both parties are happy.

tkoett
06-23-2012, 06:37 PM
If you are confident that this machine is not stolen,Obtain a "Bill of Sale"when you pay for and take the machine.You then contact an Insurance co. that insures ATVs,there are several,make an informed decission as to your best bang for your buck and Insure so have a minimum $200,000.00 Liability Insurance for riding FSRs.They will most likely want a copy of the Bill of Sale and the VIN.

A good deal is when both parties are happy.

You mean just a "hand written" bill of sale with his information and such? Then get him to sign it? Probably a good idea.

randymac
06-24-2012, 07:28 AM
The bcwf liability insurance is only good while hunting and fishing.
some guys say just carry a fishing rod but if your just out joy riding and meet the wrong co or cop you could have a hard time convincing him your fishing.

longwalk
06-24-2012, 08:15 AM
If the owner has both sets of keys for it and an ownership manual it is a good sign that it is legit.

Glenny
06-24-2012, 10:42 AM
I'm a member at mission rod and gun. Does that mean I'm good to go? If so that would rock!

Yes you should have recieved a paper on that. If not contact BCWF.

Glenny
06-24-2012, 10:45 AM
The bcwf liability insurance is only good while hunting and fishing.
some guys say just carry a fishing rod but if your just out joy riding and meet the wrong co or cop you could have a hard time convincing him your fishing.
Then have a gun with you. Somethings have no closed season. Carry a pocket fisherman on you.
How is a CO or a copper gonna prove you weren't on the way to a lake or a stream??

ryanb
06-24-2012, 10:58 AM
No papers at all including no manual etc would throw up some red flags. Do your due diligence, only you can decide how far to go.

bccanadian
06-24-2012, 05:37 PM
It could be legit however guys at work that are into ATV's say that theft of them is a HUGE problem since they aren't registered like a car.
Personally, I have no experience with them, I'm just repeating the complaints of some of my coworkers.

tkoett
06-24-2012, 07:04 PM
Thanks for all your input guys. I met with the seller today at his home. I took the atv for a test run an his farm. He didn't seem scetchy or like he had anything to hide. He wrote up a hand written bill of sale on some paper along with his info and such. got him to sighn it aswell. I don't know if it holds any legal significance but atleast I know his full name and address........ Anyway I bought it. So whats the next step? lol.

tkoett
06-24-2012, 07:29 PM
Oops, I forgot" This thread is completely useless without pictures. So here's what it is. I know it aint the biggest or best, but it is my first atv and it is 4x4. I'm happy :)
For the record I typed the serial # into the rcmp data base for stolen vehicles. It came up clean.

tkoett
06-24-2012, 07:30 PM
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt54/tkoett/quadwolverine001.jpg

Glenny
06-26-2012, 08:11 AM
Um is that somes's purse on the back rack? Haha kj. Nice buy, good on gas to I bet. What cc is it? My Kodiak is fun to ride but sure likes the gaz. Have fun!

REMINGTON JIM
06-26-2012, 08:36 AM
Um is that somes's purse on the back rack? Haha kj. Nice buy, good on gas to I bet. What cc is it? My Kodiak is fun to ride but sure likes the gaz. Have fun!

Yamaha Wolverines were all single cyl 350 cc 's :smile: RJ

Rock Doctor
06-26-2012, 10:23 AM
No papers at all including no manual etc would throw up some red flags. Do your due diligence, only you can decide how far to go.

Huh, I have 4 Argo's, 3 Quads, 4 Snowmobiles, 5 Boats, ect. No manuals for any of them, but I might be able to dig up a reciept for one or two if I look hard enough. Lol, I'm a red flag kind of guy, I guess ;-)

RD

Barracuda
06-26-2012, 10:54 AM
http://www.cpic-cipc.ca/English/searchForm.cfm?sType=Vehicle+VIN&Submit=Begin+Search

laredo318
06-26-2012, 11:22 AM
http://www.cpic-cipc.ca/English/searchForm.cfm?sType=Vehicle+VIN&Submit=Begin+Search

Good for bicycles, and vehicles.....not sure if it is set up for quads, etc.

Barracuda
06-26-2012, 12:02 PM
under the heading "stolen vehicles and bicycles" click on- Search

that page allows you to click on the heading for the type of search

Please select an item you would like to search on.

Request Stolen Vehicles by VIN (Vehicle Identification Number)
Licence Plates
Bicycles

click - choose "request stolen vehicles" then click on " Begin search"

which brings you to the next page which has a drop down window that has the choices

Auto
Truck van/suv
motorcycle
snowmobile
farmvehicle
Heavy equipment
trailers
other/ATV

click on the appropriate choice put in the VIN and Bobs your uncle and Millies your aunt

its really simple

Singleshotneeded
06-26-2012, 01:20 PM
Tkoett, that's a nice used quad you got there, I'm sure you'll enjoy it! So if you're going to be riding by yourself
in places that are near water you can probably tell the CO that you're heading to a lake to do some fishing, and of
course you'll need your BCWF card, fishing licence, and a collapsible rod and tackle in your quad box. If you're
going to be riding with others or you're planning on riding up to mountain tops for the views, you'd be advised
to google Capri insurance and get their atv liability insurance, it's just $100 per year. If the COs stop you and you're
heading up to a mountain top viewpoint then you'll get a nice fat fine, it's not worth it for $100. If you have any
technical questions you can ask them in the appropriate section of QUADS.CA, and you'll get good answers. If you
want to make improvements, mods, and find out any weaknesses of your quad so you can fix them before they cause
you grief deep in the bush, you can look up tons of good info about your atv on NYROCATV.COM. Have fun and enjoy
your machine! :-)