PDA

View Full Version : Your elk head mount....need some measurements please

willyqbc
06-20-2012, 10:34 AM
I shot a big bull several years ago and have just had the antlers on the wall but am now thinking of doing up a head mount of him. My problem is space....I have one corner of the living room where he might fit. Best I can figure, I have 41"X41"X6' tall to work with before it sticks too far out into the room and will get bumped into and be a nuisance. If you good folks with head mounts would be so kind as to measure up your mounts in regards to how much space they take up I would really appreciate it.....basically, how big a cardboard box would you need to comfortably fit your mount inside and be able to close the top. If you could post up a pic of the mount as well that would be great!

Thanks
Chris

moosinaround
06-20-2012, 10:57 AM
It will take a bit, but I will show you my 2012 bull this time next year!;) Moosin

DWH
06-20-2012, 11:23 AM
Hey Chris,

I have 3 6X6 racks up on my garage wall that range in size from small to medium. I have a pic right now but I can't seem to load it up on here. I'll take some pics and make some measurements tonight and get back to you. PM me your email address to make it easier for me to get you the info.
...Dave

BernDawg
06-20-2012, 12:07 PM
I heard tell of a fella once that had a head mount done up then found out that there was no way to get it into the house. He had the biggest "garage elk" in the province! ;-)

My Brother-in-law did a head mount of his Trophy moose many moons ago and had it up in the basement rec-room but they realized it took up way too much room so they sold it to the local hotel.

jml11
06-20-2012, 01:16 PM
Probably best to talk to the Taxi who you would get to do the mount. They can find or modify a form that will best fit the area. If height is an issue you could go with a full sneak or bugling elk but it will stick out farther from the wall than a standard upright shoulder mount. You can get it turned to the right or left to suit your needs as well and even incoporate a sneak or bugle into a turn which would probably take up the least amount of space. Mounts tend to take up a lot more space than people realize, especially elk and caribou. If you have standard 8' foot ceilings the bigger racked ungulate mounts are usually quite difficult to place in your home without being in the way. These mounts also look better elevated. In these cases an upright shoulder mount would need to be hung half way down the wall to work don't 'look' all that great that way (IMO) I can remember being at a buddies house after he moved, he had a roomate occupying the extra room and had his caribou mount in the living room beside the couch...anyone sitting on the end was basically lap feeding the mount!

jml11
06-20-2012, 01:17 PM
I heard tell of a fella once that had a head mount done up then found out hat there was no way to get it into the house. he had the biggest "garage elk" in the province! ;-)

My Brother-in-law did a head mount of his Trophy moose many moons ago and had it up in the basement rec-room but they realized it took up way too much room so they sold it to the local hotel.

LOL...yah that's probably pretty common problem...when this is a concern taxi can create the mount with removable antlers or so I have heard anyways.

sawmill
06-20-2012, 02:10 PM
LOL...yah that's probably pretty common problem...when this is a concern taxi can create the mount with removable antlers or so I have heard anyways.

Yup,buddy of mine has a 390`ish bull with the removable antlers,works like a hot damn.

Ruger4
06-20-2012, 02:19 PM
do a cow in heat bull sniffin sneak backscrathin mount :mrgreen:

willyqbc
06-20-2012, 03:24 PM
Probably best to talk to the Taxi who you would get to do the mount

I am probably going to do it myself , I have done several of my own deer mounts so will probably try and give it a go.

You can get it turned to the right or left to suit your needs as well and even incoporate a sneak or bugle into a turn which would probably take up the least amount of space.

Yeah, will defiantely need to be a turn with the head back. Just hoping someone might have something similiar they could get the overall dimensions off of to get an idea if it will reasonably fit before i lay out the cash for the form etc.
I would want to put it where the left hand bull rack is in this picture having the head turned towards the opposite wall where the deer racks are currently and use the space behind the corner of the sectional to create that "buffer" so its not sticking out too far into the room. The front center of the wood piece on the open part of the sectional corner is 41" from each wall and a 6' overall height would allow the bottom of the mount to be a foot above the wooden piece. It would be tight but if i can keep it within those dimensions it should work.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/trophy_room_2.JPG (javascript:;)

Moose Guide
06-20-2012, 04:28 PM
My brothers 365" bull is mounted in a hard 90 degree bugling pose, I am going past his house on Friday and could measure it if you can wait for a few days. He lives 3.5 hours away so let me know if that is a mount you would like.

Rackmastr
06-20-2012, 05:43 PM
I have a good sized bull (360") that I shot and had mounted a few years ago. The average dimensions are about 6' tall by 4' deep (back to nose). It's probably close to 4-5' wide or so.

I have a semi-sneak mount with a pretty sharp turn (not quite 90 degrees).

Hope that helps a bit.

willyqbc
06-20-2012, 06:01 PM
Thanks rackmaster! gotta pic of the mount???:-D

Chris

Rackmastr
06-20-2012, 06:14 PM
Here ya go man....I'm at work so cant see if my Photobucket links are still working, but they should be...

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?56493-My-2008-Alberta-Bull-home-from-Taxidermist

hunter1947
06-21-2012, 03:07 AM
Your height will be the problem the depth of my elk head mounts are all a foot or more in height then what your measurements are 56 inches and more..

ryanb
06-21-2012, 04:36 PM
You appear to have 8' ceilings, so the mount will be anywhere from 1-3' off the floor depending on hat you choose. Any way you cut it it's going to look a bit silly. You really need tall vaulted ceiling for moose, elk, caribou shoulder mounts to work in my opinion.