PDA

View Full Version : lots of kamloops rain.

gmcslinger
06-19-2012, 10:52 AM
hey all i am fairly new to hunting about 3 years and i was wondering with all this rain in kamloops we have been having does it affect the population if grouse and rabbits it seemed like 2 years ago in august i was out rabbit hunting and saw tons and tons of grouse and alot of chicks , it rained really hard for about 2 week then once sept rolled around there deffinatly werent as many as i thought there would be would all the rain result in the chicks drowning etc or do they move on to new ground i kno it seems like a stupid question but like i saqy i am new to this and any knowledge i can gain is a plus for me thanks.

Matty_ola
06-19-2012, 11:04 AM
Ruffed grouse populations vary dramatically over time, both with the seasons and over the span of many years. Over the course of each year the population may swell by late summer to 3 or 4 times the spring level with the production of young. But, winter mortality rates may approach 75% in bad years. Within a given region grouse numbers tend to rise and fall in roughly a 10 year cycle, with the highest densities (#birds / unit area) reaching about 8 times the lowest levels. In BC, grouse populations have been known to average around 10-15 birds / square kilometre.
Severe winters with little snow cover are hard on ruffed grouse. Disease, weather and predation all play roles in the population cycles of this species. But this is a species with high fecundity; that is, it can produce many young, rapidly, so its population can recover quickly.

lovemywinchester
06-19-2012, 11:17 AM
There is no shortage of grouse around Kamloops so far this spring. I have had the crap scared out of me by escaping grouse on many occasions while hiking this spring. My theory would be a wet spring would produce a lot more plant life and food which should mean more grouse.

Big Lew
06-19-2012, 11:22 AM
If it's abnormally wet and cold for long periods during chick incubation there's low hatch rates. If the cold wet weather continues during the surviving chicks first few weeks, many die from hypothermia etc. Often though, there are second broods, and these usually are in warmer and drier conditions resulting in good survival rates. You'll notice that in some years when grouse season opens, there are a lot of grouse with very late chicks, some hardly able to fly yet.

Jagermeister
06-19-2012, 11:37 AM
If it's abnormally wet and cold for long periods during chick incubation there's low hatch rates. If the cold wet weather continues during the surviving chicks first few weeks, many die from hypothermia etc. Often though, there are second broods, and these usually are in warmer and drier conditions resulting in good survival rates. You'll notice that in some years when grouse season opens, there are a lot of grouse with very late chicks, some hardly able to fly yet.This is the #1 answer to the question.

gmcslinger
06-19-2012, 07:57 PM
thanks for the replies guys makes alot of sence now

iwing
06-19-2012, 08:20 PM
pneumonia for the chicks if its exceptionally wet for extended periods of time

Jelvis
06-19-2012, 11:38 PM
Blue grouse do the opposite of other grouse for elevation and seasonal migration, so it will hurt some birdies.
Bawk bawk bawk hey mom turn up the furnace .. cluck cluck ... buy me an umbrella from the dollar store .. cluck cluck

Jelvis
06-21-2012, 11:39 AM
Sunny right now in the Loopy Town, 27 and climbing, then tomorrow night, Friday the 22nd supposed to rain for two full days and nights til Monday, this means problemos for people who built on the water plains,
Kamloops Lake is rising right now folks.
Jel .. Your up to date .. from the "Twin Rivers City." ..... Kamloops flood concerns rising and getting serious ............................for some home owners and renters along the Thompson river flood plains.
Thompson Country

bosca
06-21-2012, 09:36 PM
I believe heavy rain affects grouse populations most if it comes during the nesting period in early spring. Grouse nest on the ground and heavy rain will damage the egg. If the chicks are all up and around all the green is good.

Jelvis
06-21-2012, 09:47 PM
Yah the rain kills small chicks who get hypo thermia and pass away from getting wet and the cold wind devastates the lil fluffy yellow beaked, fan tailed, charcol blue grouse. I've seen blue grouse up here that look like the size of small turkeys.

Bushy
06-22-2012, 06:36 AM
The chicks up here were big enough before the cool rains came this year. May this year was drier than the past 2 years and the population looks better, on the wet cool years where chicks don`t survive best leave them alone than to hunt them!

Jelvis
06-22-2012, 08:33 PM
Blue hunting is great up by yah Bushy, Durand Creek valley, the higher you climb the better the blues.
Awesome area above Savano for sure. The nicest deer and grouse habby tat anyone will witness to that.
Big mules late season after a big snow up by the tower. Down to the river too if yah can climb.
Indian Gardens now there is a lil piece of paradise. Wallachin and moocho more.
Chartrand Meadows, someone stop me.
Jel .. and High Water ..

finngun
06-22-2012, 09:15 PM
jello take your pick
http://www.google.ca/search?q=hipwaders&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=NwI&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=nELlT4qcLaGq2QWt8:mrgreen:

Jelvis
06-23-2012, 05:38 PM
Say a good word for Kamloops people dwelling along the rivers tonight folks around the south and north thompson Twin Rivers.
Lots of rain tonight more coming with a Hurricane watch .. for southern BC Interior.
Going to be a free Light Show! Later on tonight.
Jel .. In Kammy right now! .. The Loops .. Twin River City .. Mule Deer City .. The Hub City .. Center of the Earth City