PDA

View Full Version : Sheep hunt pack preference

Bigbruin
06-18-2012, 12:06 PM
We are heading out on a 14 day fly in sheep hunt and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with a Badlands Ox external frame pack. We are getting dropped off at one lake and hiking to our pick up point at another lake. I'm a big guy so I need a large fiting pack. And I like the idea of a built in scabbard. Any suggestions or ideas would be welcomed. The pack I'm use to packing is an Arcteryx Needle 55 which fits and packs well but I'm not sure about overloading it with all my gear and a Sheep. Thx in advance.

Butcherman79
06-18-2012, 12:22 PM
Check out Mystery Ranch.... http://www.mysteryranch.com/hunting

I am using the 7500 for my trip :-D

rifleman
06-18-2012, 02:08 PM
got a 6500 mystery Ranch for guiding this year. i did alot of research & this will be all the pack I need....

sheepaholic
06-18-2012, 03:14 PM
my vote is for the mystery ranch 6500 i love it and it did a great job carrying my sheep and gear last year

BromBones
06-18-2012, 08:21 PM
I used a Badlands OX all of last season - 30 or so days in the mountains, packing moose/deer on local hunts, and many many hours of training hikes. It is a great pack, pretty well bombproof, and very comfortable under a heavy load (100+ lbs). It carries like an internal frame pack, keeping the weight close to your back. Very well balanced and stable pack, and the meat shelf design works really well. Also the warranty is top notch.

The only downside is that you can't squeeze 14 days worth of food in it unless you want to skimp on some other gear. I packed for 12 days on two different hunts last year, but only by packing very carefully and using every ounce of space. If your hunt plan allowed you to return to a base camp and reload with more grub, it would be fine, but if you're going on a 14 day tour like you say, it's not quite enough.

I bought a Barney Hunter pack this spring (6800 cu.in) after talking to some of the guys here and seeing what they put these packs through, and it's easy to see what the hype is about. They are awesome. The OX pack is better balanced and more stable, but the Barney has the most comfortable harness I've ever used and the volume is perfect for those longer hunts.

RiverOtter
06-19-2012, 05:55 AM
Question for those who've done it both ways, and assuming a dedicated sheep pack, do you actually prefer an external over internal?

For shear comfort, I've yet to top my Gregory internal, as the bastid fits/carries like a jacket. MR is as close as I've come in an external format, an is on my short list for an all rounder, but it fits damn near like an Internal.

lp270win
06-19-2012, 05:59 AM
I don't have any advice on a sheep pack, however, the new Tenzing packs look pretty cool. Has anyone looked at these? I'd likely buy one but I currently own a badlands sacrifice.

Rackmastr
06-19-2012, 06:20 AM
I'm a Mystery Ranch fan here.....I run a 6500 and think its about the best choice for me.

I'd like to try a Kifaru a bit more sometime but cant justify owning both or selling anything to afford it! A Kifaru Timberline looks like a very nice setup though.

For now a 6500 works amazing and I've hauled everything from sheep, moose, elk, deer and antelope in it.....

goinghunting
06-19-2012, 06:52 AM
Another thumbs up for the mystery ranch 6500, awesome pack!

325 wsm
06-19-2012, 07:12 AM
looks like I could put that mr 6500 right into my wilderness wanderer after I put all the sheep meat in the wilderness wanderer. Loaded heavily it also looks to carry a lot of the weight way to far back from the body.

pickaspot
06-19-2012, 08:05 AM
One more thumbs up!

Another thumbs up for the mystery ranch 6500, awesome pack!

pickaspot
06-19-2012, 08:10 AM
The compression straps on the Mystery Ranch 6500 allow you to carry weight tight to your back OR back them out and fill your bag with meat (closest to back) and lightweight items such as clothing further away.

Not sure what you mean by putting a 6500 in a WW but it's a huge pack volume-wise.

6500 Cubic Inches = 106 Litres = Plenty of volume for a 14 day sheep hunt (plus endless possibilities to attach items on the side/back/bottom via compression straps)

06-19-2012, 09:14 AM
For guys that don't want to break the bank ......... personally I have a cheaper Camp Trails external frame removable pack, and have used it for years. Back packed a number of goats sheep and bucks with it, buddy has the same. No issues, yes not the quality some are looking for but you do not need to empty your account. I like the removable pack to only use the frame when need be. Also used the frame alone for packing out moose and elk quarters.

Just a thought.

CT

BCrams
06-19-2012, 09:47 AM
We are heading out on a 14 day fly in sheep hunt and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with a Badlands Ox external frame pack. We are getting dropped off at one lake and hiking to our pick up point at another lake. I'm a big guy so I need a large fiting pack. And I like the idea of a built in scabbard. Any suggestions or ideas would be welcomed. The pack I'm use to packing is an Arcteryx Needle 55 which fits and packs well but I'm not sure about overloading it with all my gear and a Sheep. Thx in advance.

I bought a Barney Hunter pack this spring (6800 cu.in) after talking to some of the guys here and seeing what they put these packs through, and it's easy to see what the hype is about. They are awesome. The OX pack is better balanced and more stable, but the Barney has the most comfortable harness I've ever used and the volume is perfect for those longer hunts.

If you're looking at 14 days (based on my experience). Go with the Barney pack. I have done 14 day trips (often packing food for 15/16 days in case) for 11 years and the last 5 with SSS. One trip, we had a ram down early in the trip, yet had room between two of us to keep packing all the meat, cape, horns from camp to camp through the mountains with the barneys on top of all the food we still had.

If you're hunting 7-8 days then I would say there's quite a bit of flexibility in the number of really good packs suited for the job including those that function as good multi use packs for other hunts.

Sheep season is right around the corner! Can't wait.

goinghunting
06-19-2012, 09:51 AM
looks like I could put that mr 6500 right into my wilderness wanderer after I put all the sheep meat in the wilderness wanderer. Loaded heavily it also looks to carry a lot of the weight way to far back from the body.

Give a MR a try it doesn't carry a load way out behind you the eberlestock's are the packs that make you wanna fall over backwards when they get loaded up. I sware my MR fits better and is more comfortable as you load it up more.

hitch
06-19-2012, 09:56 AM
I used the Camp trails pack that Curly Top mentioned for years with no problems, nice to have the frame, when needed. For the last 10yrs or so, I've used an Arcteryx 90 with no problems. Fits moose quarters, works fine for extended sheep hunts and also works well for general traveling.

Rubicon500
06-19-2012, 09:57 AM
I say Barneys , MR reminded me of my Eberlestock with a heavy load it feels like you have to lean so far foward. I agree with Curly Top , we used Camp Trails before the Barneys , they have been getting the job done for 30+ years they definatly work and dont break the bank.

BackPackHunter
06-19-2012, 05:08 PM
Mystery Ranch 6500 or 7500,

Moose Guide
06-19-2012, 05:22 PM
I say Barneys , MR reminded me of my Eberlestock with a heavy load it feels like you have to lean so far foward. I agree with Curly Top , we used Camp Trails before the Barneys , they have been getting the job done for 30+ years they definatly work and dont break the bank.

I use a cheap Taymor freighter frame with a moose bag for hauling moose quarters, my guiding partner said it wouldn't last a week and that was 7 years ago and it is still going strong!

Drop_Tine
06-19-2012, 06:17 PM
I run the MR 7500 , i took the advice from a few exsperienced sheep hunters ( rackmastr & Bigwhitie) , right now im training with 70lbs on my back , and i tell u what its very comfy , and holds tbe weight very
Nice/close to your body !! Listen to the majority spend the money and get the MR 6500 or 7500!!

bigwhiteys
06-19-2012, 06:46 PM
If your backpack trips will always be over 10 days, in fairly open country and you love hauling more meat than your buddy go with the Barney "Yukon".

If your backpack trips will be day trips to 14 day trips in all kinds of terrain and all kinds of conditions and you still love hauling more meat than your buddy go with the MR 7500.

I've got a Barney "Hunter" and a MR 6500. The difference in size between the two favors the Barney as it has about a 1 gal milk jug worth of more space. They carry and position the load quite differently so it sucks not being able to try them on in person. Neither the Yukon nor 7500 were available when I got my packs, but if buying new again it would be one of those two.

Stone C. Killer
06-19-2012, 07:34 PM
Barney's Yukon is the pack for me. Not one complaint.

Bigbruin
06-20-2012, 07:08 PM
Not alot of votes for the Blands Ox. I don't have access to any packs besides Bad Lands or Eiberstock. Probably spelt wrong. I really don't want to buy a pack I can't try on when it's loaded.

ianwuzhere
06-20-2012, 09:44 PM
I used a Badlands OX all of last season - 30 or so days in the mountains, packing moose/deer on local hunts, and many many hours of training hikes. It is a great pack, pretty well bombproof, and very comfortable under a heavy load (100+ lbs). It carries like an internal frame pack, keeping the weight close to your back. Very well balanced and stable pack, and the meat shelf design works really well. Also the warranty is top notch.

The only downside is that you can't squeeze 14 days worth of food in it unless you want to skimp on some other gear. I packed for 12 days on two different hunts last year, but only by packing very carefully and using every ounce of space. If your hunt plan allowed you to return to a base camp and reload with more grub, it would be fine, but if you're going on a 14 day tour like you say, it's not quite enough.

X2!- I love the pack, very comfortable, and durable- i wouldnt hesitate to load it up as much as i could possibly pack.
For 2 weeks you will find that it is small tho...

Rackmastr
06-20-2012, 09:48 PM
Not alot of votes for the Blands Ox. I don't have access to any packs besides Bad Lands or Eiberstock. Probably spelt wrong. I really don't want to buy a pack I can't try on when it's loaded.

Where do you live? There are enough guys with good sheep gear that I'm sure would be willing to let you pop by and try on a pack or two and see what works for you.

Weatherby Fan
06-20-2012, 10:05 PM

As said above, where are you located ? I have 2 MR Nice frames and bags you can borrow one for a a few days if u want and try it out.
I've used a few different packs over the years none come close to the MR Nice frame for comfort.
I also have a Cabelas Alskan Guide pack that you can try on and compare if u want.
WF

Bigbruin
06-20-2012, 10:22 PM
I live in Fort st John. Im going to start calling a couple of the companies that have been suggested and get a time line on delivery. As of a week or so ago I was confident in the pack I own but my hunting partner has got me second guessing my pack choice.That is why I didn't start looking for a better suited pack months ago.

buford19
06-21-2012, 01:33 AM
I live in Fort st John. Im going to start calling a couple of the companies that have been suggested and get a time line on delivery. As of a week or so ago I was confident in the pack I own but my hunting partner has got me second guessing my pack choice.That is why I didn't start looking for a better suited pack months ago.
Just bought a MR 6500, had it sent to northern bc. Received the pack in 7 days. Just mention you need it ASAP, they are very good to deal with.

bigwhiteys
06-21-2012, 07:53 AM
As of a week or so ago I was confident in the pack I own but my hunting partner has got me second guessing my pack choice.That is why I didn't start looking for a better suited pack months ago.

Listen to your partner. Your old pack has 1/2 the capacity of something like a MR 7500 or Barney Yukon. I am guessing this is your first backpack sheep hunt :) You don't want to figure out your pack isn't cut out for the trip, while you're on the trip.

BCrams
06-21-2012, 08:20 AM
I second the Yukon. It only came out last summer. The Pinnacle, of which my bro in law owns, is a tad too big in my opinion but it sure hauls gear - and the camera man last year had the Pinnacle himself and loves it (also a guide).

But I can't complain with the Hunter that has seen a lot of sheep hunting between myself and others and rams being hauled out on 14 day trips. Its just plain reliable and has been around a long time.

That said - it doesn't have the flexibility of say a MR to use on really short hunts or for other species like deer / elk other than leaving in camp / truck to use as a quarter / meat hauler.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-21-2012, 08:55 AM
I just ordered a Barney Hunter last summer....and when the pack arrived they had a brochure in it for the Yukon. Had their website been up and running I would have ordered the Yukon.
Having the extra space doesn't weigh that much compared to it's potential usefullness.

For anyone who chases grizzlies, a large bear will completely fill a large pack so it's nice to still have room for your gear instead of making your partner carry all your gear.

SSS