PDA

View Full Version : damn all the rules...

nwalter
06-17-2012, 06:20 AM
Just felt helpless watching a black bear chasing after a moose and her calf down the side of the highway. tried pacing the bear and honking the horn but it was pretty focused on the prize. The cow and calf cut in to the trees so I dont know the outcome

chris
06-17-2012, 06:34 AM
Hey man thats nature. They have to eat something after all. You wouldnt like it if you were hunting a moose and a bunch of hippies came and honked horns at you.

frenchbar
06-17-2012, 06:40 AM
^^^^^hahaha ..that made my day

pg83
06-17-2012, 08:01 AM
Damn Hippies!

Barracuda
06-17-2012, 09:57 AM
that bear has now called you into the RAPP line and they are looking for you :lol:

Obstruct lawful hunting fishing or
trapping .............................................sect 80.......................fine $ 345

Sorry couldnt resist :lol:

Ride Red
06-17-2012, 10:07 AM
Good Fathers Day Humor. Thanks Guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jelvis
06-17-2012, 11:31 AM
If the calf is with mommy, that black bear would get hoofed by sharp feet of it's mom. When the calf is bedded and mom his feeding a ways away, then it would be vulnerable.
A mother moose is one of the most dangerous animals in the bush when in company of it's new born.
It rears up and strikes out with it's sharp edged front hoofs, ripping another animals face apart.
Mother nature knows what's goin on.
Jel .. Can't touch this ..

sky-gunner
06-17-2012, 11:38 AM
Circle of life. It's nature, wild animals eat, we do not own the game, we merely have the privilege of harvesting it. Let nature do its thing.

steel_ram
06-17-2012, 12:16 PM
Most "hippies" wouldn't interfere with that. It's nature. Bears aren't welcome at the soup kitchens.

Rackmastr
06-17-2012, 01:03 PM
Enjoy it...watch it....its nature. Animals kill and eat other animals. To try and interfere is a bit laughable....

Ovis17
06-17-2012, 06:13 PM
Hey man thats nature. They have to eat something after all. You wouldnt like it if you were hunting a moose and a bunch of hippies came and honked horns at you.

Hahaha............

ryanshaw44
06-17-2012, 07:14 PM
that would be awesome to see a bear make kill like that. something you dont see much at all i bet. the cycle of life

Jeff88
06-17-2012, 07:19 PM
i watched a grizz in fort nelson stalk a deer ..it got about ten feet away until the deer finally clued in

Allen50
06-17-2012, 07:42 PM
the bear will be looking for you if he does not get his moose for dinner,,,lol lol,,,:mrgreen:

reach
06-17-2012, 08:11 PM
Just curious. Would you all have the same reaction if he had said "pack of wolves" instead of "black bear"?

russm
06-17-2012, 08:33 PM
Yes,animals gotta eat,not like there's a store to walk into and get their meal,what would u have done if there wasn't "all the rules"?kill the bear for trying to survive?

nolimits
06-17-2012, 08:43 PM
that would be awesome to see a bear make kill like that. something you dont see much at all i bet. the cycle of life

It was posted here before, but sure, go ahead and enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDEW-nIg844

Ambush
06-17-2012, 10:15 PM
Bears are competition. A smart player eliminates his competition.

All this " it's nature" stuff just doesn't do it for me. I'm part of nature to, not some alien observer that doesn't belong in this "natural" world. One less moose calf or a bear [wolf, coyote] going hungry would be an easy choice for me. Within the law.

nolimits
06-17-2012, 10:16 PM

All this " it's nature" stuff just doesn't do it for me. I'm part of nature to, not some alien observer that doesn't belong in this "natural" world. One less moose calf or a bear [wolf, coyote] going hungry would be an easy choice for me. Within the law.

Well said, thanks.

Gateholio
06-17-2012, 10:33 PM
I've been fortunate enough to see wolves take down deer on two occasions. While I tried to get a shot at the wolves, it wasn't to save the deer, it was to shoot wolves. :)

steel_ram
06-18-2012, 07:00 AM

Get real. Leave your guns, your boots, even your clothing behind and then your part of nature. Lets see how you will do. Modern man is just a visitor to the Northern forest.

Gateholio
06-18-2012, 07:10 AM
Mn has always been a part of nature, always made tools, clothing and modified his surroundings to survive. If man has no part in nature anymore, then we shouldn't' be hunting.

The Dude
06-18-2012, 07:16 AM
It's a completely natural ocurrance on a completely natural logging road.

I have three words for that bear THUMP! Thump thump.

dana
06-18-2012, 07:47 AM

If you managed to save that one calf, the bear would just go find another.

Ambush
06-18-2012, 08:07 AM

Or maybe he'd just stick with the salad bar long enough for the new calves to get longer, stronger legs. Being omnivirous, bears in particular are oppurtunists and will eat what's available. Unlike wolves, which target meat, bears will take it if they can get it, but they don't depend on it to survive the week. But you know all that.
And dead bears, wolves and coyotes don't eat calves and fawns, EVER.

Ltbullken
06-18-2012, 08:23 AM
If the bear caught the calf, it didn't deserve to live. And the cow's weak calf genes will no longer get passed on. Darwin is a beautiful thing...

The Dude
06-18-2012, 08:33 AM
If the bear caught the calf, it didn't deserve to live. And the cow's weak calf genes will no longer get passed on. Darwin is a beautiful thing...

Darwin never drove down a logging road.

Ambush
06-18-2012, 10:11 AM

And a geneticly superior, two day old calf would just kick that bear's ass and live to pass on his "predator-ass-whoppin'" genes. :roll:

scoutlt1
06-18-2012, 10:22 AM
Darwin never drove down a logging road.

I have seen some people on logging roads that deserved his award though....

steel_ram
06-18-2012, 10:23 AM
Mn has always been a part of nature, always made tools, clothing and modified his surroundings to survive. If man has no part in nature anymore, then we shouldn't' be hunting.

We don't really. Our lives don't depend on it. What we call hunting is just for play, certainly not life or death for us. Take humans of the globe and the world would do just fine. We're freaks! Makes one wonder where we did come from, which keeps the church's in business.

dingdongdenny
06-18-2012, 10:27 AM
:twisted: they did a study in wyoming, the common black bear accounted for 70% of the elk calf kill.

Ambush
06-18-2012, 10:54 AM
In region 7A, about the time that moose LEH and spike seasons started, biologist said that black bears killed 40% of the moose calves. Reducing black bear numbers was one part of the moose strategy. The regs even had blurps about the exccelent but under utilized black bear as a meat source.

Steel-ram. Who are we and where did we come from? Seems to me you can hold two points of view on that. Creationist or evolutionist, both of which leave us in the same boat as far as being integral to this natural world.
I've intentionaly left out the option that sometime in history we were dropped, as invading aleins, onto this planet to harrass and destroy it's "natural" owners.

Gateholio
06-18-2012, 11:32 AM
We don't really. Our lives don't depend on it. What we call hunting is just for play, certainly not life or death for us. Take humans of the globe and the world would do just fine. We're freaks! Makes one wonder where we did come from, which keeps the church's in business.

You could take any apex predator off the globe and things would work out just fine.

That doesn't change that humans have always been part of nature, and always hunted using tools and modified environments.

Husky7mm
06-18-2012, 01:56 PM
Cougars kill coyotes, wolves kill black bears, bears kill wolves, wolves kill coyotes, wolves kill grizzlies. Its very narural for the top of the food chain to thin out its competition. Just as it is natural for hunters to shoot predators, its also in our best interest if we want to have ample game around to hunt and eat.

happyhunter
06-18-2012, 02:11 PM

I highly disagree with this. I think if you took humans off the globe and allowed predator/prey cycles to happen unchecked you would loose a lot of biodiversity and you would see certain species go extinct. I think the conservation model we have in BC is the reason we have such a great amount of biodiversity and hunters/ bio's/CO's/ outdoors clubs/ ie HUMANS are largely responsible for the abundance of game we get to enjoy.

steel_ram
06-18-2012, 02:42 PM
I highly disagree with this. I think if you took humans off the globe and allowed predator/prey cycles to happen unchecked you would loose a lot of biodiversity and you would see certain species go extinct. I think the conservation model we have in BC is the reason we have such a great amount of biodiversity and hunters/ bio's/CO's/ outdoors clubs/ ie HUMANS are largely responsible for the abundance of game we get to enjoy.

We are the only animal on the planet with the tools capable of proliferating beyond our natural habitat, and/or destroying ourselves. I agree we have created some self serving artificial diversity, but if "pfft", humans were gone, things would slowly return to how they were and perhaps should be for the health of the planet. Our shorted lived race is just a nasty virus in the grand sceme of things. Fun to ponder, opposing opinions are welcome.:)

dana
06-18-2012, 03:14 PM
Or maybe he'd just stick with the salad bar long enough for the new calves to get longer, stronger legs. Being omnivirous, bears in particular are oppurtunists and will eat what's available. Unlike wolves, which target meat, bears will take it if they can get it, but they don't depend on it to survive the week. But you know all that.
And dead bears, wolves and coyotes don't eat calves and fawns, EVER.

Actually this time of year, bears do hunt. If you hunt them on a regular basis every year you will notice a trend. They seem to disappear for a week or 2 and that just happens to be the same time fawns and calves drop. During that timeframe you will see the usual runts still on green, but the older age class bears give up the green and hit the timber to hunt Meat. And the timing seems to also be right before the rut gets going. The boars will gorge themselves for a week or 2 and then start prowling looking for sows. That is the cycle. Happens every year. So my comments were made to elude to that. If you had a tag and wanted just any bear, then by all means kill the one chasing the calf. But.....honking the horn and such will only make you feel better and in reality will not change the course of nature. Bears do have a large impact on fawns and calves. But the only way you will see man having an impact is by us harvesting more bears to get their numbers down. If you feel so strong about saving the fawn crop, then you should be on here encouraging every hunter that frequents this site to shoot their yearly baglimit of black bears.

Jelvis
06-18-2012, 06:18 PM
Some bears chase a cow which is starting to birth the little calf and the calf comes out, and then they take both the mother and the lil one.
Jel(Get) Real it's a Tuff Hard world to live on .. for the Human Kind and Animals .. some of you are both lol.

91Jason91
06-18-2012, 07:03 PM
next time get you cam out and vid it

nolimits
06-18-2012, 07:17 PM

You might be right here, but at least the bear would be highly inconvenienced having a bullet up his ass. ;)

Jelvis
06-18-2012, 07:33 PM
What do the rancher's say, " The Only Good Bear ... Is A DEAD BEAR Dammit!"

jmo
06-18-2012, 09:01 PM
Bears. Either there going to go do bad, or there coming from doing bad. I would definetely cut one of my tags.

308Lover
06-27-2012, 02:12 PM
Same thing happened to me on the Bobtail FSR. I drove into a dry gravel ditch to head off a bear chasing a cow with a very young calf. The bear was easily gaining, but ignored me up until my right front was in his/her face. Bears kill many young calves and, no Jelvis, the bears usually win, mom or no mom. Bears can eat almost anything so they don't necessarily have to kill calves to survive. Yes it's nature blah blah blah, but it takes a lot to raise a calf to maturity in this country--a little help now and then doesn't bother me.

MFERGIE
06-27-2012, 06:42 PM
If I saw some idiot chasing a bear down the highway in his vehicle, honking the horn and trying to scare it off a kill....I would be writing down a vehicle description, plate number and reporting it! I fully encourage everyone to fill their bear tags but "herding and harassing wildlife with your vehicle", trying to scare it off a kill?? Really?? I think your a fool and furthermore an idiot for posting about it! Especially the mushy "helpless feelings" part....gag!! P.S. do yourself a favor and read the regs...especially the "its' unlawful part."

Jelvis
06-27-2012, 07:56 PM
That bear was hungry for meat, can't blame the black bear for wanting to eat to gain weight for the winter.
The predator aspect is what bothers a lot of people for some reason. The word predator lingers up visions of a blood thirsty animal or bird of prey ripping the flesh off another animal while it is still moving with life.
You can be prey or predator in the world.
A preyed upon animal like a deer, elk, moose are herbivores eating grass, twigs, bark, moss, herbs and legumes.
A predator like a mountain lion eats deer, plain and simple, and snacks on hares, rabbits and small cats etc.
A black bear is an opportunist, if it comes upon a calf moose and is close enough to catch by sur-Prize it will explode towards the little calf and kill before momma rips at him, rearing up, then with her front sharp hooves flailing away like a mother gone wild for her very young newborn about three weeks old or so.
Mother calves in June and the little tike is only a month or so young.
If we lived way back in the bush all year long we would see "Mother Nature" in her "House of Pain" and harshest moments, and also in her spirit of peace and tranquility of motherly love.
Jel ( The Machine ) Looger . My Mamma says to, "Knock You Out!" . Shamrocks and Shin Nanny Guns . HouseofPain!

anglo-saxon
06-27-2012, 08:03 PM
I'm pretty sure there are more hippies than Black Bear in BC. We should have a year-round open season on them! Back in the day,when the NZ Maoris were canibalistic, they had a word for humans that translated as "long pig". Hey, who am I to argue?