PDA

View Full Version : kamloops bound

ghost
06-16-2012, 09:31 AM
Moving to Kamloops this july, cant wait.Now just have to get a house and get ready for some serious hunting.

ncurrie
06-16-2012, 09:33 AM
love the loops! good luck with your new adventure!

doubled
06-16-2012, 09:46 AM
Right on, excellent central spot. Great fishing all around you, great hunting, enjoy. Only draw back is that pulp mill but that is the smell of money!!!

SR80
06-17-2012, 08:26 AM
Right on, excellent central spot. Great fishing all around you, great hunting, enjoy. Only draw back is that pulp mill but that is the smell of money!!!

depends where you live, i live on the south shore and work on the north shore, and rarely smell it.

bosca
06-17-2012, 09:02 AM
If are a mule deer hunter you will be happy here...Where are you moving from?

curt
06-17-2012, 10:19 AM
Ghost you are a very lucky guy I cant wait to retire there 15 more years of working for the man first for me!! :(

MuleyMadness
06-17-2012, 11:16 AM
depends where you live, i live on the south shore and work on the north shore, and rarely smell it.

Yes the mill at times can smell still...it is after all an industrial plant, but it is way, WAY better than it used to be. The 'stinky old pulp mill' is really, for the most part a thing of the past. Really about the only time you smell anything from them (and really the only places in Kamloops you ever smell it any more is Brock and the North Shore right across) is when they have a turpentine leak or some gets into the mill sewers. In fact a lot of times, what people are smelling now and assuming is the pulp mill is in fact not...it's the open sewage lagoons the city operates about 1.5KMs past the mill entrance...stewed shit on a summer's day can really be something to behold if you're downwind of it :)

You will enjoy it here I'm sure, no it doesn't have the flash of the lower mainland or Kelowna, but it's got good people, good services, and a location that is second to none (well second to none for those of us without 50 million or so in our pockets). What are you doing here, or are you joining the growing ranks of active retirees?

BigfishCanada
06-17-2012, 11:42 AM
U buying or wanting to rent

finngun
06-17-2012, 12:04 PM
kammy only :mrgreen:2nd place after blind bay

Brian011
06-17-2012, 12:07 PM
There's no good hunting around here, I would suggest day trips to clearwater.

ghost
06-17-2012, 12:12 PM
I am leaving port coquitlam and the rain behind.looking to buy a place,I like the barnhartvale area,no job right now but not to worried.

REMINGTON JIM
06-17-2012, 12:24 PM
A GREAT move to come out of the LML to kamloops- its a nice town-city - everything you need there ! :) JMO RJ

LOC
06-17-2012, 01:36 PM
We moved out to Kamloops last Aug. from the LML, now we wished we had done it sooner! It's a great place with everything you'd need close-by.

Caveman
06-17-2012, 03:55 PM
I've been in Kamloops since I was nine. No reason to leave. It has everything I need

4 point
06-17-2012, 04:02 PM
A GREAT PLACE Kamloops is. Everything is so close and the outdoors is right at your door steps. Whitetail not far from any Barnhartvale home. Welcome.

Jagermeister
06-17-2012, 04:03 PM
I smelled the pulpmill up in Aberdeen and down in Valleyview as well as the Brock and Tranquille areas. Whenever the scrubber on the dissoving tank stack plugs up, it can become rather rank. With computer control, the guy monitoring the flow accepts that a straight line on the screen is good. Not realizing that actually the flow stopped but still in his mind as it indicated on his screen. Fluctuating line=flow........Straight line=no flow.
Not sure if the pulpmill effluent and the city sewage effluent are combined. Probably are as the sewage would supply "bugs" for an anaerobic pulpmill effluent.

Caveman
06-17-2012, 04:18 PM
They are separate! The mill discharges to the river. From Google Earth you may be able to see the plume in the river. it is piped downstream before allowed to enter the river.

The majority of the City effluent, after it is treated, is piped across to Cinnamon Ridge farms and is used to irrigate. Kamloops G&CC as well as several hobby farms use it as well

Jelvis
06-17-2012, 04:32 PM
One thing about Kamloops that we found is the pace of the rat race slows w-a-y d-o-w-n compared to the lower $trange land.
It's more country and the people are very intelligent and thoughtful about the area and how it relates with the community in a practical way. This is a city built with all people in mind, access built for wheel chairs and the disabled.
The City has great employees who work on the surrounding infrastructure and maintain the roads and streets in all four seasons. Outdoor people themselves who understand the elements affecting the region.
I found that Kamloops has a special population of people who have clear vision for the present and the future of city planning.
Kamloops is up to date and modern yet it has the old western atmosphere all around the region.
Kamloops is a bell weather city and is watched and listened to by leaders through out the south central and lower mainland. What Kamloops citizens like for leaders is what usually ends up the winners.
Kamloops has superior trout fishing with clear healthy lakes of all sizes. Kamloops is second to none for mule deer hunting, has black bear, moose, bird hunting and a California sheep herd visible close to the outskirts of this recreational paradise.
Golfing, beaches, tennis, hockey, gun shows, skiing, with gym facilities at Hillside stadium which are top of the world.
Shopping malls, modern schools, churches, theaters, night clubs and real good radio and tv station.
Kamloops transit system is well thought out for routes to get the riders to work or shopping and back.
The best people in the world live in " The Loops."
The scenery will blow you away as you enter the region, it's eye popping, images of a true south western interior.
Your imagination will take you over as you see the dunes and the hoodoos along with the hills and rivers.

Jagermeister
06-17-2012, 05:17 PM
One thing about Kamloops that we found is the pace of the rat race slows w-a-y d-o-w-n compared to the lower $trange land.
It's more country and the people are very intelligent and thoughtful about the area and how it relates with the community in a practical way. This is a city built with all people in mind, access built for wheel chairs and the disabled.
The City has great employees who work on the surrounding infrastructure and maintain the roads and streets in all four seasons. Outdoor people themselves who understand the elements affecting the region.
I found that Kamloops has a special population of people who have clear vision for the present and the future of city planning.
Kamloops is up to date and modern yet it has the old western atmosphere all around the region.
Kamloops is a bell weather city and is watched and listened to by leaders through out the south central and lower mainland. What Kamloops citizens like for leaders is what usually ends up the winners.
Kamloops has superior trout fishing with clear healthy lakes of all sizes. Kamloops is second to none for mule deer hunting, has black bear, moose, bird hunting and a California sheep herd visible close to the outskirts of this recreational paradise.
Golfing, beaches, tennis, hockey, gun shows, skiing, with gym facilities at Hillside stadium which are top of the world.
Shopping malls, modern schools, churches, theaters, night clubs and real good radio and tv station.
Kamloops transit system is well thought out for routes to get the riders to work or shopping and back.
The best people in the world live in " The Loops."
The scenery will blow you away as you enter the region, it's eye popping, images of a true south western interior.
Your imagination will take you over as you see the dunes and the hoodoos along with the hills and rivers.
You forgot to mention your "friends" at the transit interchange that want to pound on you once in awhile.

fireguy
06-17-2012, 05:33 PM
You might even spot the rare and elusive Jelvis creature when you get there, if you do take lots of pictures, you will need proof, kinda like a bigfoot sighting.

ufishifish2
06-17-2012, 06:25 PM
A thousand bucks says you will never meet Jelvis in person. :)
Barnhartvale is a great spot away from the stench of the pulp mill, and still close to town.
Yes, the pulp mill does smell quite a bit. Those who live in Kamelpoops can't smell it anymore but I smell it every time I drive to town which is about once a week.
I remember taking a tour of the Vernon Sewage plant years ago. It smelled disgusting when we got there but after a while wee got used to it and forgot about the smell. It's kinda like that with Kamloops residents and the pulp mill. Get used to the daily excuse that it's the winds fault.
All in all Kamloops is actually a great town with just about all the amenities a person could need. Just lacking the beautiful lakes for boating that the Okanagan has.
Hope to meet you one day in the bush as we are both dragging monster mulies out to the trucks! :)

MuleyMadness
06-17-2012, 06:41 PM
I smelled the pulpmill up in Aberdeen and down in Valleyview as well as the Brock and Tranquille areas. Whenever the scrubber on the dissoving tank stack plugs up, it can become rather rank. With computer control, the guy monitoring the flow accepts that a straight line on the screen is good. Not realizing that actually the flow stopped but still in his mind as it indicated on his screen. Fluctuating line=flow........Straight line=no flow.
Not sure if the pulpmill effluent and the city sewage effluent are combined. Probably are as the sewage would supply "bugs" for an anaerobic pulpmill effluent.

They are separate....the mill has it's own containment ponds with the requisite 'bugs' to eat the solids. Considering the mess the City treatment plant has been for decades (and now being upgraded), it's a damn fine thing it was being pumped to Cinnamon Ridge, because putting it into the river would have been a huge mistake. I know what you mean about the scrubbers, though we shall see how the new precipitators cut down on the issue, but what I meant was, the only places you typically smell it now are those areas directly across from it..yes any where in town can get hit (pretty much anyways), though once or twice a year for those odd areas isn't such a big deal...pretty rare for the prevailing winds to blow it East, but obviously it could happen.

Barnhartvale is a nice spot for sure, as are many of the neighborhoods in town. Any requirements or specific features you looking for?

BlacktailStalker
06-17-2012, 06:55 PM
Ok who the hell hacked Jelvis' account and typed that ? :lol: ;)

REMINGTON JIM
06-17-2012, 07:01 PM
[QUOTE=ufishifish2;1165417]A thousand bucks says you will never meet Jelvis in person. :)

You might have to jump him on a transit bus ! LOL RJ

cameron0518
06-17-2012, 07:21 PM
LOL, was thinking the same thing.
You forgot to mention your "friends" at the transit interchange that want to pound on you once in awhile.

betteroffishing
06-17-2012, 07:40 PM
ive heard heresay that the kamloops area is running out of water , not in the next week kind of manner , but rather over the long term the regions water table has been seen to be falling in tune with the population icreases its seen in the last decade or so. again , not a scientific fact , i have only the words of my father in law cautioning me against moving to the area to go off of . anyone heard such a thing before or to the contrary?

Neff
06-17-2012, 09:13 PM
Still a days drive to hunt muleys in Clearwater.
Next to impossible to get a moose draw. Even harder for sheep. The sewage smells. Pulpmill smells Big mine coming. Dangerous transit system. And now it sounds like the place is drying up too?
Why oh why move to Kamloops?!

btw
Love it here!
:wink:

MuleyMadness
06-17-2012, 09:26 PM
ive heard heresay that the kamloops area is running out of water , not in the next week kind of manner , but rather over the long term the regions water table has been seen to be falling in tune with the population icreases its seen in the last decade or so. again , not a scientific fact , i have only the words of my father in law cautioning me against moving to the area to go off of . anyone heard such a thing before or to the contrary?

The water for domestic use comes from the river (South Thompson)...pumped directly from the river into the treatment centre, and therefore to the houses and businesses. It's (the river) not running out of water, and wherever your father in law got his facts seems to be unaware of the fact that they are supplied from the South Thompson (except for Rayleigh which gets its water from the North Thompson). Remember this is a large river/drainage system, and has zero to do with ground water or the depth of the water table.

I know localized areas of Cherry Creek have difficulty with water, but it's because the water source there (ground water via wells) is a couple thousand vertical feet from where people chose to build houses. That being said, there are several larger ranches and farms in the area, so even there it's not widespread.

It's one of the few areas in the world where you don't really have to worry about water in a desert, so perish the thought :)

skibum
06-17-2012, 09:44 PM
don't swim in the lake