PDA

View Full Version : Hungry Brown!

Tikka270wsm
06-16-2012, 07:16 AM
Went for an evening fish the other day after work with a buddy. I was reeling in about a 3-4 inch rainbow when this Brown came out of the depths and ate the minnow right off my lure! Buddy had the same thing happen on his next cast so we gave the spot some time to simmer down. Well about an hour later, buddy hooked this Brown on his second cast into the run. About a 5 minute battle and the fish was in hand for pics. While taking the last pic, the trout regurgitated the very rainbow that it had eaten an hour before off my lure.

http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww338/Bearhunter09/3093.jpg

http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww338/Bearhunter09/3096.jpg

Downwind
06-16-2012, 09:01 AM
Beauty fish! Were you fishing the Cowichan?

Spy
06-16-2012, 09:08 AM
Nice Brown !

kishman
06-16-2012, 09:14 AM
Whoa! Beauty Trout there, wish there were more Browny Streams in BC......

Tikka270wsm
06-16-2012, 07:21 PM
Beauty fish! Were you fishing the Cowichan?

Yup, the Cow.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-16-2012, 08:58 PM
Great looking brownie!!...and cool story!

My buddy and I were fishing the lodgepole and he hooked ~ a 14" cuttie...when all of a sudden a several pound bull trout pounded the cuttie. Cuttie got off but he landed the bull.

SSS

nolimits
06-16-2012, 09:04 PM
You got a beauty there. Nice.

BlacktailStalker
06-17-2012, 10:57 AM
Nice one. Good time to take those on the fly right now, great fight...

06-18-2012, 08:37 AM
Tubby brown!
We are going out for a evening some time this week if the weather smartens up.... now i have yer new cell number i'll give you a shout. Im kinda interested in that water you were in and up river... just to change the pace!

TARCHER
06-18-2012, 10:29 AM
I sure miss fishing the cowichan. When I lived in Cobble Hill I almost lived on that river. Mask and snorkle down in the summer will show you some very large browns, all of 10 lbs. They are great fighters for sure.

steel_ram
06-18-2012, 02:51 PM
A few of the deeper holes in the upper river serve as summer refuge for some hogs. I once watched one take a swimming mouse. Biggest one I ever saw, back when you were allowed to keep them was 13lbs. 2-3 pounders are common.

06-18-2012, 02:59 PM
The hammers are still in there, but they are keyed in pretty good to food sources that are hard to imatate. Thoes fish look at gear like its just that. And flys, Right at night, mouse patterns, cray fish. But they have to be perfectly presented. As the saying goes "Big fish dont get big cuz they're dum" The big browns are feeding on things that just cant easily or legally be presented.

The Cowichan is a great river, you just gotta know how to fish her. And all you need to do to find out what your missing is to bring a snorkle

Tikka270wsm
06-18-2012, 06:11 PM
The key for the big nocturnal browns is to fish at night. Perfectly legal as long as you aren't lighting up your fly. Big boyant flies and white streamers produce well, especially with a big moon.

scallywag
06-18-2012, 06:40 PM
I think it's time to go for a drive after work this week

91Jason91
06-18-2012, 07:02 PM
nice looking fish

06-19-2012, 08:13 AM
The key for the big nocturnal browns is to fish at night. Perfectly legal as long as you aren't lighting up your fly. Big boyant flies and white streamers produce well, especially with a big moon.

Yeppers! Trouble is when im on the river at that time im usually impaired by the fire!

RENO
06-19-2012, 08:30 AM
Is there a public access, for fishing the lake ? and is there anywhere you can fish from shore. I fly fish and don't have a boat.

steel_ram
06-19-2012, 08:44 AM
Is there a public access, for fishing the lake ? and is there anywhere you can fish from shore. I fly fish and don't have a boat.

It's in the river, and yes, lots of public access. The Browns inhabit the entire river. I've caught them while Steelhead fishing below the Holt crk. confluence but some of the prefered area is above Skutz falls, which is a park with trail heads. The TLC trail runs upstream from there and will eventually cross the river at the 70.2 tressel a few km up. Above there is fly fishing only.

Never heard of Brown trout being caught in Cowichan lake, but I see no reason why they wouldn't be there. I know Cameron Lk., on the way to Port Alberni has some elusive monsters.

TARCHER
06-19-2012, 09:44 AM
When bait was allowed(don't know the regs now) I fished the upper river bottom bouncing worms. Whenever I got hooked up on bottom I would wait a few minutes. This was the time the big browns take. Got broke off more than once after a great battle on 6 lb test. Snorkelling in the summer some of the big pools with big browns I would tear up a river clam or crayfish and watch how the fish feed. Always the big fish last in a feeding line. The browns would take in the food and immediately spit it out and if they liked it they would reear it. Very interesting to watch. Gotta be able to hold your breath and stay on the bottom.

06-19-2012, 10:01 AM
When bait was allowed(don't know the regs now) I fished the upper river bottom bouncing worms. Whenever I got hooked up on bottom I would wait a few minutes. This was the time the big browns take. Got broke off more than once after a great battle on 6 lb test. Snorkelling in the summer some of the big pools with big browns I would tear up a river clam or crayfish and watch how the fish feed. Always the big fish last in a feeding line. The browns would take in the food and immediately spit it out and if they liked it they would reear it. Very interesting to watch. Gotta be able to hold your breath and stay on the bottom.

Baitban the whole length. You used to be legal below the silver bridge in Duncan but that changed in 2011. As for the snorkle feed show,,, i love that as well. Or just hanging out behind a bouder and watching minnows... But clinging onto a roak at the head of a pool and destroying a Crawdad... And seing a 20" bow come ripping in and grabbing it 3' from your hand! Yeah thats cool stuff.....