PDA

View Full Version : what happened

Nimrod
11-07-2006, 07:44 PM
See I grew up in the Okanagan (Winfield). I was off hunting before I could drive a car. I would strap my rifle to my dirt bike and go in the hills. Once I got the truck it was all over …back when gas was 40 cents I was spending $400 a month on gas playing in the bush … I would hunt just about every day after work. Some times if I was on a spot I knew had a good buck in it would drive 1.5 hours just for the last hour of light. I didn’t watch TV from age 18 to 28 didn’t have one. All year all I would do is fish and climbing in summer then hunt all fall and ski in the winter. After dinner on the work nights we would just tie flies all winter.
I shot a lot of game, for years 3 deer a year and my 2 bear year after year the bachelors’ I lived with feed very well indeed…spent a season working for an outfitter up north....had alot of fun, seen a lot of country.
well then I found myself out of work one winter, after Christmas work was hard to find in Kelowna back in 99… I had met this girl skiing see ……she lived in Van. I needed a job so why not come down and look around …first week down here was offered an awesome job, the next thing I know I’m living here… Married with the huge mortgage 2 dogs wondering what the hell happened.
Most of the year I can keep myself amused climbing Squamish and salmon fishing, had to get myself an ocean fishing boat (sanity maintenance) I fish a lot. But every hunting season I get this itch to be in the bush way more than I’m able to, and it makes me a cranky Pr**k.
Guess I’m Lucky my wife lets me do what ever I want provided I keep a fair balance …just seems hunting season isn’t long enough to only get out there half the time.
Anyway SO SO MUCH looking forward to getting to some spots I know well that have produced some nice buck in the past. Had a chance to do some scouting and the deer are there alright. Time to go let the air out of one of them.

Jagermeister
11-07-2006, 07:52 PM
Winfield + butcher = Penninga?:idea:

Jagermeister
11-07-2006, 08:10 PM
Actually, the way your story was leading up, I thought that it was going to be one of those break-up tear jerking stories. I can't decide whether I'm disappointed or not!
I started hunting in similar fashion to you only about 65 miles further south and about 25 years sooner. Funny, it never occured to me or my hunting buddy to use our bikes, Duh! That's about where my story changes from your story. Women......................

Gateholio
11-07-2006, 08:12 PM
What happened? Life.

Just wait until she starts making broody noises!:lol:

I found that I had to make a choice between hunting and fshing and other recreational activities like sledding and boating and stuff. For me, my recreation is shooting and trying ot get out and hunt, which hasn't been that sucessful this year, as things seem to conspire against me this year.:sad:

000buck
11-07-2006, 08:25 PM
yup woke one morning there was a mini van in the driveway, a house full of kids (mine and opk) this woman laying tons of demands on time that wasn't considered free time untill that little golden ring appeared on my hand.... what the hell happened? Turns out you see that all men have an allergy to continuous gold loops syptoms usually include insesant nagging in both ears loss of vision and hearing during televised sports and action movies and general malaise of the wallet. ITS CALLED love

TravisC
11-07-2006, 09:12 PM
I Guess my story could have turned out some what like that too. i was raised on hunting and fishing and when i got married and my wife started to complain about my hunting i had to lay down the rules. i told her that its one thing she will have to deal with because that is what will keep us full for the year and if she wanted to be apart of it shes welcome to be my hunting partner. well ........................it took some time and after she missed her first big buck this year she has come to the conclusion that she must get that buck.........shes got the fever and im in the clear to hunt freely again.:lol: Too bad 7mm had his wife put her foot down on him hehehehehe. i guess the foot runs in the family.

browningboy
11-07-2006, 09:26 PM
Thats the power of the p***y, I had the opportunity to work in the interior, but was in a relationship with a city girl, my nards were in her purse!:lol: Anyhow she long gone but still stuck in the city, at least my wife enjoys the outdoors, but whats a person to do, only a certain amount of work available in the interior.:frown:

Caveman
11-07-2006, 09:26 PM
I started hunting at fourteen, married at 22, put in for a Buffalo draw the first year they offered it. My wife says to me, "If you think you're going Buffalo hunting, you've got another thing coming, I'll be leaving".:mad: My response, "If you don't think I'm going you may as well leave now, because i'll be going".:twisted: Thank god no kids involved at that time, but that was the last I heard about that. Married 21 years now to the same lovely lady, I'm still hunting, just not quite as much, but still take a trip or two a year. Now our son is getting into it so it may be even easier to get out from now on.:) :)

7mm
11-07-2006, 09:49 PM
well trav living in sechelt and working shift work I would say that maybe I get to hunt just a little bit more then you, like for the next 2 mornings poor you having to go to work with the weather change and all may be goooood huntin. as for the foot I just let her think she is puttin it down but in all reaity I have your mom eating out of my hand as well as eating all the deer and moose too

GoatGuy
11-07-2006, 09:51 PM
This is too funny!

Same thing happened to me.

Last GF of 3 1/2 years says "you can't just go away grizzly bear hunting for 3 weeks when we're married." My reply, "guess we aren't getting married." Grabbed my gear and my dog; out the door and into the bush.

To the curb with you, to the curb.

TravisC
11-07-2006, 09:53 PM
ohhhhhhh pa you only have your self fooled. the foot has been strapped to you rear end for years:lol:. you do have me there though my seasons over but only cause my tags are full. enjoy the weather change.

7mm
11-07-2006, 09:58 PM
3pt or better with 1 tag left taking bob thurs after night shift take a big one then i guess and mom and me pay your wife to let you hunt otherwise we would have to listen to you cry 9 mnth out of the year and you would have to borrow all my meat so it is cheaper to pay little red ridin hood!!!!!!!

dana
11-07-2006, 10:04 PM
Funny thread. I was raised hunting and fishing in the Okanagan. Pretty much the same story. Used to skip school to go hunting all the time. The difference is, I moved out of the busy city of Kelowna and settled down in a small town with a great wife and we had 2 great kids. I've got a mortgage on a small house in the country. I'm in the bush pretty much every day year round and am hunting harder now than I ever did in the big city of Kelowna. Man, I love my life!!! :)

browningboy
11-07-2006, 10:35 PM
We should start a new thread, job swapping, all the guys like me that want to be country bumpkins switch with the others that want to become city slickers, but for some reason I don't think anyone on this forum is willing to agree!:lol: Any employers on this forum, post jobs!
Still can dream.

Phil
11-07-2006, 11:10 PM
I wear the pants around here........any time she tells me to!!!:lol:

000buck
11-07-2006, 11:15 PM
I'm gonna miss her when i get home, but right now i'm on this lake shore sittin' in the sun............ Happily divorced living with a new girl who gets the point..........Don't ask me if you can go grocery shopping and i won't ask you if i can go grocery shopping with a gun or rod.

Fisher-Dude
11-07-2006, 11:23 PM
Wow GG, deja vu! I was datin' a gorgeous one, she was from a rich family. So she drops this bomb on me that she stands to inherit something like $5 million, and if I were to give up hunting, she would marry me. So I packed my gear up and went elk huntin with my buddy and brother for a couple of weeks. SEE YA!

Jagermeister
11-08-2006, 12:55 AM
Wow GG, deja vu! I was datin' a gorgeous one, she was from a rich family. So she drops this bomb on me that she stands to inherit something like $5 million, and if I were to give up hunting, she would marry me. So I packed my gear up and went elk huntin with my buddy and brother for a couple of weeks. SEE YA!

Me thinks that Someone (rich former boyfreind who heard it through the grapevine about the 5 mil inheritance) put her up to that one.
Someone asks, ever so nonchalantly, "What's the one thing Fisher-Dude is not going to give up when you two get married?" knowing your passion for elk hunting.
And she replied, "Oh, he will never give up his Elk Hunting, that's for sure!" And Someone said, "Well, I lay you $1000 to $1 that if you tell him the deal, he'll give up Elk Hunting, wha'dya say?"
To which she quickly replied, "Bet on!"
So the offer was $2.5 mil and the question was....'DEAL OR NO DEAL?'

Rich gorgeous wife.........$2.5 million
Two week elk hunting trip with your brother and a buddy.....Priceless
:lol: :lol:
Those damm women, where do they get it from thinking that they can wave a little bit of paltry cash in our faces and we're going to drop our hunting passions?
(Hey Fishe-Dude, no malice intended, just my imagination running wild, again.)

NightOwl74
11-08-2006, 01:25 AM
Don't know where all you Kelowna guys are finding the hunter chicks but I live in Kelowna and chicks I've met(and the ladies at work) are repulsed by hunting. How's 'bout some advice? Do I need to hang out at the OK Corral?:mad: :cry:

Fisher-Dude
11-08-2006, 06:51 AM
Me thinks that Someone (rich former boyfreind who heard it through the grapevine about the 5 mil inheritance) put her up to that one.
Someone asks, ever so nonchalantly, "What's the one thing Fisher-Dude is not going to give up when you two get married?" knowing your passion for elk hunting.
And she replied, "Oh, he will never give up his Elk Hunting, that's for sure!" And Someone said, "Well, I lay you $1000 to $1 that if you tell him the deal, he'll give up Elk Hunting, wha'dya say?"
To which she quickly replied, "Bet on!"
So the offer was $2.5 mil and the question was....'DEAL OR NO DEAL?'

Rich gorgeous wife.........$2.5 million
Two week elk hunting trip with your brother and a buddy.....Priceless
:lol: :lol:
Those damm women, where do they get it from thinking that they can wave a little bit of paltry cash in our faces and we're going to drop our hunting passions?
(Hey Fishe-Dude, no malice intended, just my imagination running wild, again.)

LOL no malice taken. Actually, she was just a spoiled little (insert Norman Spector's word for Belinda Stronach here) that had always got her way in the past, and so when she thought that the outdoors would knock her down a level on my priority list, she tried that one. I'd rather work my ass off for the rest of my life so I can hunt and fish than feed her insecurities. Her loss, not mine! :biggrin:

Doe See Doe
11-08-2006, 08:35 AM
You guys make me laugh :lol:

Sounds like the ones who are complaining made a bad choice in woman.

Did no one think to ask questions about each others interests before they commited to each other?

As much as you're saying the your wife is trying to change you, you are also trying to change her. She felt this way about hunting right from the start and you married her anyways.

Travis C and Dana---you guys both sound like REAL men, thank you for giveing me hope that there are still some left in this world.

WoodOx
11-08-2006, 08:41 AM
Nightowl

Ive never understood why guys go righ out and just tell some random girl they meet that they hunt all the time. Meet a girl after hunting season - dont mention hunting till youve been with her for 10 months (till next hunting season) and I can almost guarantee that if youve lasted 10 months, then hunting wont be a problem.

Worked for me :D

GoatGuy
11-08-2006, 09:17 AM
You guys make me laugh :lol:

Sounds like the ones who are complaining made a bad choice in woman.

Did no one think to ask questions about each others interests before they commited to each other?

As much as you're saying the your wife is trying to change you, you are also trying to change her. She felt this way about hunting right from the start and you married her anyways.

Travis C and Dana---you guys both sound like REAL men, thank you for giveing me hope that there are still some left in this world.

Marriage? Who said anything about marriage? What are you crazy?

Past GF had no problems with it when I went up guiding for 8 weeks at a time - no problem, come home with $$ and all is good. Only when I wanted to go do it myself did it become a problem!

New GF's great, she's keen on hunting, packs her share of dead critters out of the bush and can huck a fly better than half the guys I fish with. Works for me.:lol:

twoSevenO
11-08-2006, 09:34 AM
so all these hardcores .... who hunt almost every day of the year ....how do you get any chores done around the house?

I know that either the grass needs cutting, cars washed, fence painted, door fixed, oil changed

:( :( :( :(

stickbow
11-08-2006, 10:06 AM
the best way to get the wife from complaining about the fishing and hunting is to get her a boyfriend.:eek: lol

Islandeer
11-08-2006, 10:08 AM
Holy smokes, I need to hunt more... thats all... :eek: :eek: :eek:

Fisher-Dude
11-08-2006, 01:10 PM
New GF's great, she's keen on hunting, packs her share of dead critters out of the bush and can huck a fly better than half the guys I fish with. Works for me.:lol:

I didn't know you and One Shit were dating. :confused:

BCrams
11-08-2006, 01:32 PM
What ?? You...of all people didn't know that??? :)

RoadKing
11-08-2006, 01:36 PM
I didn't know you and One Shit were dating. :confused:

I can't tell you how much you brighten my day with the One-Shot comments.

youngbuck
11-08-2006, 01:50 PM

Whata thinking man? I would have married the woman. Waited for the inheritance and then filed for divorce on the teerms of unreconcilable differences. Take your half of the money and run. In the mean time I would have had many (nug, nug, wink, wink) business trips during the hunting months. :twisted:

Think about it, do you know how many fly-in trips a portion of 5 mil would get you? Just avoid the pre-enup.

Can you say "sugar momma".:lol:

Woman can do...so why can't men?

Personally, I have the same problem in regards to getting away. I though I would not have many problem considering my father-in-law is a hunter. It has become even worse now that we have 2 rugrats. I'm just going to have to get our older one out into the bush.

MichelD
11-08-2006, 02:21 PM
When I was 20 I met this German girl in Japan in December (long story). We lived together for six months in Japan, went to Germany for the summer and in September I said "Well, I guess I'll be going now."

"What? Why?" she said. "Don't you love me?"

"Sure I do, but it's hunting season," I said.

She came with me, and she's still here 32 years later.

11-08-2006, 08:29 PM
so all these hardcores .... who hunt almost every day of the year ....how do you get any chores done around the house?

House reno's have been going on for over 9 years now, 2 outta the 3 kids have already left home and the third is eyeing the door........bigger place doesnt mean as much any more, and l get to play more now then l used to. So you see, it all works out in the end! :)
And its not ONLY hunting ........there is a fly fishing season in there too, but that is another thread.....:wink:

dana
11-08-2006, 08:52 PM
"so all these hardcores .... who hunt almost every day of the year ....how do you get any chores done around the house?"

I've got bad hayfever and mowing the lawn is very bad for my health. ;) I'm actually trying the 'forest succession' route and let nature take it's course. Who needs a lawn anyway?

Honeydo's are easily managed when you live out in the country. You see, you don't have to keep up with the Jones out here.

Fisher-Dude
11-08-2006, 09:12 PM
Honeydo's are easily managed when you live out in the country. You see, you don't have to keep up with the Jones out here.

My dog doesn't give a damn if the leaves are raked or the fence is painted, as long as he gets to go huntin with me. However, he can't cook, sheds hair all over the house, hogs the couch, and sh*ts on the lawn. There's always a trade off, isn't there. :rolleyes:

Gateholio
11-09-2006, 01:43 AM
I split wit? my gal of 13 years because she wanted kids and the cit¥.

I am now wiht a gal 17 rs ¥ounger, that wants to be a farmer, rural etc. OK by me..
:lol:

I say- You only have ONE life. Do you want to spend that life getting TOLD or being ALLOWED to live it?:rolleyes:

scoot
11-09-2006, 06:35 AM
[quote=Doe See Doe]
As much as you're saying the your wife is trying to change you, you are also trying to change her. She felt this way about hunting right from the start and you married her anyways.quote]

Not realy the case. All they have to do is accept what a guy chooses to do. They may or may not change thier opinion of hunting, but accepting it is a different thing. Just my thought.

oscar makonka
11-09-2006, 09:17 PM

Hmmmm, could be why my house is fallin' down. Old lady better get it fixed up while I'm gone huntin this fall or she's outa here .....

mark
11-09-2006, 09:32 PM
Work, chores, bills, combing my hair.... all that stuff can wait! The days we dream about all year are upon us right now. Get out there and hunt!!! The buck of your dreams is just running around stupid right now waiting for someone to shoot him. For all you guys here that wear the panties in your house, well thats just one more buck for the rest of us to hunt!

jjensen20
11-10-2006, 01:15 AM
Work, chores, bills, combing my hair.... all that stuff can wait! The days we dream about all year are upon us right now. Get out there and hunt!!! The buck of your dreams is just running around stupid right now waiting for someone to shoot him. For all you guys here that wear the panties in your house, well thats just one more buck for the rest of us to hunt!

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!

TravisC
11-12-2006, 03:11 PM
Well said Mark.

ellellbee
11-12-2006, 11:14 PM
Sounds like some couples need to have more in common. Find someone who enjoys the outdoors then introduce them to hunting. Help out with some of the housework so you will both have time to go hunting. Problem solved.