PDA

View Full Version : QCI fishing/camping

Kalum
06-15-2012, 08:00 AM
For the last 10 years we've been setting up bar fishing camp on the Skeena the first 2 weeks of July. It's time for a change up though and so this year we're headed over to QCI/Haida Gwaii.
It's a large group, 20-30 and a mix of rednecks, princess's, and kidlings. We're there for 8 days and thinking of setting up camp up on North Beach. Taking the jet boats along to get out on the water.
I'll be headed over a couple days early to scout out a camp area in the north beach area. Any thoughts?
What's the fishing like out of Masset?

scott h
06-16-2012, 03:49 PM
I'm headed up next weekend to open up the place and see if the boat and truck will run after sitting the winter. Hopefully I will be able to tell you that it's the best year ever !!!!!
Normally the fishing is first rate out of Masset with a free boat ramp and a short run out to some very good fishing . I've seen guys taking their jet boats out there on numerous occasions . Their is a camp site in town thats nice , a provincial one at Agate beach on the road to north beach and another one run by the Haida at the entrance to the beach. Once you get on the beach their is miles of sand to choose from. Take chest waders and landing nets cause you will be able to pick up crabs in the surf on a low tide. Lots of razor clams to dig also .
If you need fish processed their is a great place in Masset called Seapac that does a great job for cutting and freezer packing.

Kalum
06-16-2012, 04:14 PM
Thanks Scott, much appreciated. I've googled the crap outa the area and come up with some names, like hidden island, the green can, eagles nest, etcetc... so looks like there's plenty of opportunity and should be fun scouting out newtous grounds.
What's the camp site like that the Haida run? I can see the agate beach one on GE and it looks great but imagine it will be pretty busy.

scott h
06-17-2012, 01:17 PM
The Haida campsite is right at the entrance to the beach ( try google earth ? ). It's just cut out of the bush with not much there. Maybe a camp kitchen...... Hidden island is a nice well kept campground in town with showers( ?) and washer/dryers and a restaurant . Don't count out agate beach as it's frequently got a lot of empty spots , if it was on the mainland it would be booked a year in advance . I opened a blog up a while back to show some pics to my dad and haven't used it since . I'll look around tonight and try and find some pics of the area and post them if you're interested . www.wiahpoint.blogspot.ca

REMINGTON JIM
06-17-2012, 02:06 PM
I always dry camp at Agate Beach - its great there right on the ocean -beach - like scott h says you can go out at low tide and net the crabs - 6 per day per person and i have got them up to 10 " across the shell ! Dig some razor clams too ! Great fun and exercise chasing them ! I have caught salmon and halis out there North of Agate Beach and you can catch rock fish and ling cod right around the base of tow hill !
Have Fun - its a Great Place! :-D

Cheers RJ

Kalum
06-17-2012, 07:34 PM
thanks guys, we were chasing springs and hali today out Prince Rupert today. Not much of a bite on the go, look forward to trying some new grounds. Pics are always welcome. "Hidden Island" is also supposodly a fishing spot, sea mount with good ealry spring fishing? I've found a few likely looking areas on the charter and look forward to working them over.

freonguy
06-21-2012, 08:48 PM
Kalum:

I am on my way up Saturday, but we will be fishing Rennell Sound. I used to live there and my buddy has his boat in @ Rennell right now.
If fishing out of Masset, go out to ' Seven Mile ' - there are a couple can buoys west as you exit the inlet - the fishing is usually great this time of year - it is a featureless area for the most part - 80 - 100 feet of water, but it varies - halis coho, smileys - troll around with the gear @ 40 -50 feet - watch for feed etc. - can blow up quick, so keep an eye on the horizon.

Good luck !

Freonguy

GoatGuy
06-21-2012, 08:58 PM
Just got back, pretty neat spot. Campsites have all been named, north and east beach are a lot of fun. If you have a quad you can take it and run down the east side of the island. Looks like good cuttie fishing'. The Haida campsite looked pretty sparse.

Nobody camped at the provincial when we were there but I imagine that will change soon.

Have fun.

scott h
06-22-2012, 04:52 PM
Heading up to Masset in the morning. I'll try and send a post or two over the next 3 weeks.