PDA

View Full Version : Region 8 wolf season

Walksalot
06-15-2012, 07:47 AM
I see, in the new regulations, there is a wolf season in region 8. I don't want a wolf pelt but on the other hand I would hate to see any build up of numbers in our corner of the world, the Okanagan, 8-09 to be exact. So, what do I do when I see a wolf? Do I let the numbers build up or do I take my 3 wolf limit each year, if I have the opportunity. Being the Okanagan is hunted hard because of the amount of access available to hunters and given the fact the wolves are such efficient predators I think it would be detrimental to the wildlife population to see much of a wolf population in our area.

I have never shot a coyote in my life because I have not had a reason but wolves are a different story. To put a wolf on the ground and leave it is a sad waste but I fear any amount of wolves in our area could cause a huge problem. Is it even legal to shoot a wolf and leave it? This wolf issue puts me in a very precarious position as I, at this point in time, am in a moral dilemma.

BiG Boar
06-15-2012, 07:53 AM
Furbearing Animal - means a fox, beaver,
black bear, marten, fisher, lynx, bobcat, mink,
muskrat, river otter, raccoon, striped and
spotted skunk, northern flying squirrel, red and
Douglas’ squirrel, ermine, weasel, wolverine,
wolf or coyote.

Of grizzly bear,
cougar or a furbearing animal other than
a black bear, the hide must be removed
to the person’s normal dwelling place or
to a meat cutter, the owner or operator
of a cold storage plant or to a taxidermist,
tanner or a fur trader. A person who kills
wildlife is exempted from the requirement to remove the hide if that person
transfers possession of the wildlife to
another person who complies with the
requirement.

boxhitch
06-15-2012, 07:57 AM
Guess you have to weigh your feelings , whether you favour the prey or the predator.
I'm sure someone would take it off your hands and deal with it, regardless of condition, if they knew that was helping with your dilemma.

The Dude
06-15-2012, 07:58 AM
So, what do I do when I see a wolf? Do I let the numbers build up or do I take my 3 wolf limit each year

Thanks for the belly laugh. If you get ONE in Fair Chase, I'll buy you a beer at the Barley Mill. (Or Pub of choice)
Hell, I'll buy you a beer for every wolf you shoot.
I think others might match my offer.

604redneck
06-15-2012, 08:05 AM
Ill match that and take them of ur hand

BiG Boar
06-15-2012, 08:05 AM
If you can take your 3 wolf limit this season, I will buy you a case of beer!

Shoot every wolf you can. The way they breed and slay animals is like nothing eles out there. Just ask the people on the state side of the boarder.

bassplayer
06-15-2012, 08:42 AM
I only ever seen one wolf in the Penticton area in the 30 years i've lived here. Crossed the road at the second cattle guard up Carmi and my buddy seen it two weeks later at the Ellis Reservoir.

Good2bCanadian
06-15-2012, 09:01 AM
Kill it and skin it.

Steeleco
06-15-2012, 09:29 AM
If you can take your 3 wolf limit this season, I will buy you a case of beer!

Shoot every wolf you can. The way they breed and slay animals is like nothing eles out there. Just ask the people on the state side of the boarder.

Damn I wish this was legal last OCT, I could have had 5 in the week. None of them knew I was there and all were DEAD if I'd been allowed.

I'm thinking 1 for the wall, the others if I'm lucky will be passed along to someone that wants a hide.

coach
06-15-2012, 09:34 AM
Kill it and skin it.

Just make sure you plug your nose first. Those buggers are stinky!

Boxhitch has it right. Do you want the elk and moose population to continue building in 8-9 or would you rather see wolves?

buck400
06-15-2012, 12:25 PM
kill the wolf for if you don't your deer an moose populatoin well go down. i know i well do my job
i know 1 cougar well take 52 deer a your

d6dan
06-15-2012, 12:32 PM
I'm thinking 1 for the wall, the others if I'm lucky will be passed along to someone that wants a hide.
David,
Couple for floor matts and some more for seat covers.:mrgreen:

Good2bCanadian
06-15-2012, 01:00 PM
Our wolf never stank. Rather easy skin job.

coach
06-15-2012, 02:03 PM
Our wolf never stank. Rather easy skin job.

You're lucky. Mine was the worst smelling animal I've ever encountered. Possibly due to the proximity to a sockeye stream. Maybe it had been rolling in dead fish.

betteroffishing
06-15-2012, 03:07 PM
Damn I wish this was legal last OCT, I could have had 5 in the week. None of them knew I was there and all were DEAD if I'd been allowed.

im in :mrgreen:, ill buy the beers when we meet to transfer hide . ive never seen one in reg 8 but their tracks are everywhere.

BCptown
06-15-2012, 03:38 PM
mans bestfriend.. i could never kill a wolf or coyote even though doing so would keep deer/moose population at a healthy number.

steelballs
06-15-2012, 09:07 PM
coyotes will also kill their fair share of deer

Elk-Aholic
06-15-2012, 10:41 PM
I have never shot a coyote in my life because I have not had a reason but wolves are a different story. To put a wolf on the ground and leave it is a sad waste but I fear any amount of wolves in our area could cause a huge problem. Is it even legal to shoot a wolf and leave it? This wolf issue puts me in a very precarious position as I, at this point in time, am in a moral dilemma.

Better do your homework. If you think coyotes are not hard on ungulate species, remember they have to kill to survive just like a wolf. Only difference is their frequency of killing is not as high as wolves, but that's not always the case. Coyotes are opportunists and will take advantage of an unsuspecting animal. Kill a coyote, save a deer/elk/moose/sheep/etc! I have personally, in one instance, watched a small pack of 3 coyotes kill 4 deer in under 2 weeks. Then they wondered outside of the no shooting area and that was the end of them:-D. Coyotes are brutal on game, especially during this time of the year when the ladies are dropping their young. Personally, I have ruined deer hunts I've been on when coyotes appear. I look at it this way, those coyotes live in the bush 24/7, 365 days a year. Myself on the otherhand, and like most other hunters, only hunt for a short duration of time in an attempt to fill their few amount of tags. When our tags are full or the season finishes, we go home. A coyote doesn't have a bag limit or restrictions on what to hunt and never stops hunting. Remove a coyote and you save much more than a single ungulate. Wack'em and stack'em!

Steeleco
06-16-2012, 09:01 AM
A good guy I know once watched a couple yotes stalk a cow that was about to give birth, they didn't even wait for the calf to hit the deck before they were tugging on it's body. He did scare them off, but for how long? There's NBL on yotes for a reason. Besides, it won't take long before some other hungry creature takes advantage of your good deed!!!!!

We usually take a week in July and do some fishing/camping near Davis lake. This year, we'll have something to pursue while we're scouting!!!

SHAKER
06-16-2012, 09:06 AM
Let the lead fly on both types of them dogs... Not sure what to do with one if you get it? Post it in the clasifieds on here and I bet it's gone in 20 minutes or less. Took allot of work to get this season, so lets get some of them &%#$^*'s take'n dirt naps and do our local wildlife and hound dogs a favor.

dana
06-16-2012, 09:18 AM
Shaker,
Seriously, how many Okanagan houndsmen have lost hounds to wolves in Region 8???? LMAO!

As to the OP, I don't think you will find yourself in the ethical dilemna you are thinking about. Chances are you won't see one, and if you do, you will be so surprised that by the time you get your rifle ready, it will be long gone. I am talking with experience. I live in an area that is over run with wolves and yet I have only ever killed 1. Thrown lead at a few others in a hail-marry attempt to give them the fear of man, but they ain't easy creatures to hunt. I'd be surprised if 3 get killed this season by hunters in Region 8. Trappers will see better success. That is where the houndsmen of the OK will need to be more careful. Wolf snares will kill more hounds than wolves will. ;)

ruger#1
06-16-2012, 11:02 AM
I have seen one last year in region 2-08, So I am sure he would see one there.

boxhitch
06-16-2012, 05:07 PM
Thrown lead at a few others in a hail-marry attempt to give them the fear of man, but they ain't easy creatures to hunt.That will make it easier next time, as they will stand around and watch, realizing you are not serious.