PDA

View Full Version : My first kill ...... But ..........

Joe89
11-07-2006, 07:12 PM
I'm a little embarrased .

My second year of hunting and nothing so far, except grouse and rabbits. My hunting partners are picky with what they shoot and so I have become that way also. I've passed up on quite a few animals. I got my White tail doe draw this year and so did my son and my daughter (this is their first year hunting). Well, with only 8 days left of the draw and no deer in the freezer yet, my hunting partner (who also including his wife and kids has 3 doe draws, not filled), says to start filling tags.
I head out today, by myself, around noon, I'm not even 15 minutes up the road and I spot a deer out of the corner of my eye, 30 yards off the road. I get out and load up and look through the trees, all I see is the back 1/2 of the deer. I now know it's a white tail. I fire 1 shot and it's down. I'm vibrating pretty good by now, lmao. I was a little dissapointed in the size, but still pumped about getting my first deer. I was a little nervous gutting it by my self with no one else around, but all went well.
I shot it with my daughters Marlin 30as 30/30 with 170 gr bullets.
Got it loaded up in the truck and started heading down the hill, 15 minutes later I'm in cell range, I go to phone my daughter to tell her, that her gun was the one to get the first deer, when all of a sudden I realize that I left her gun beside the gut pile, doh. Back up the hill I go and retrieve it, lol.

So now the contest is on, my daughter and son are out to get a bigger deer than dad, kids want me to let them skip school tomorrow , so they can show dad up. lol

Let's see if the pics work.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p309/adventu/wtd061.jpg

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p309/adventu/wtd062.jpg

DropTines
11-07-2006, 07:17 PM
good job on the first man, be unreal eating on her
________
MERCURY MOUNTAINEER (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Mercury_Mountaineer)

3kills
11-07-2006, 07:18 PM
way to go on ur first deer....dont worry about the size he is just going to be dam tasty...

Marc
11-07-2006, 07:22 PM
Congradulations on your first deer. That's going to make some fine eating. I prefer whitetail meat over mule deer, maybe it's an east coast thing.8)

Well you've got one under your belt now it's time to get the kids out to get theirs. 8 days left!

Steeleco
11-07-2006, 07:27 PM
8 days left! WHAT already!!!

Nice going Joe, big or small they're all good eatin!!!

Deaddog
11-07-2006, 07:32 PM
congrats, its not the size of the deer that matters, its the fact that you were out enjoying the outdoors and hunting, good for you and enjoy the tender meat

Phil
11-07-2006, 07:35 PM
Congratulations! Nice looking doe you got there. I'm picking my doe meat up from the butcher tomorrow. I can't wait to dig in. Seeing those pics gets me all reved up to get out there soon.

11-07-2006, 07:38 PM
Congrats........welcome to the ranks!!! (like the hat lol) Being picky is commendable but a freezer full of prime venison has its merits too :)

JohnS
11-07-2006, 07:42 PM
Congrats........welcome to the ranks!!! (like the hat lol) Being picky is commendable but a freezer full of prime venison has its merits too :)

I would have to agree here, freezer with some venison to eat is better than a short story, congrats!!

MichelD
11-07-2006, 08:00 PM
Hey, I'm impressed.

I've been hunting for 40 years and got my first deer 36 years ago at 17, but I am really impressed by someone who takes it up as an adult and starts from scratch.

I feel like it's as if I took up whitewater kayaking, rock climbing, skydiving, or flying an airplane. So much to learn, so many challenges.

The thing about hunting is, that you're always learning and there continue to be so many challenges. In my case, it is learning to wing shoot now.

Congratulations

Schmaus
11-07-2006, 08:40 PM
Cool deer, I like the rifle.

jaeger
11-07-2006, 08:52 PM
Enjoy, it will be good eatin!!

GoatGuy
11-07-2006, 09:45 PM
Absolutely phenomenal - congratulations!!!!!!!

Joe89
11-07-2006, 10:07 PM
Thanks guys, I am still pumped at getting my first deer. Yeah, the gun is awesome, bought it from a member of hbc. Had the the choice of my 30-06 pump carbine, or my daughters 30/30 and I decided to take the 30/30 as the 06 has been shooting high lately. The 30/30 also shot high today, I had the cross hairs on the heart and it hit in the back. So it must be me.
I'm pulling up every time shooting freehand.
On a rest , both guns are accurate within a 1/4 inch

browningboy
11-07-2006, 10:21 PM
Nice deer, looks like you started a liitle family challenge, sounds like fun trying!:lol:

Marc
11-07-2006, 10:26 PM
Joe89, chances are you were excited and pulled the rifle you've got to get out and practice more and just squeeze the trigger practice shooting off hand with the 30/30 because most times that's probably how you'll shoot that rifle in the bush at close range. I've mad a few bad shots this year an missed game myself the more game you see and the more practice the easier it gets. Now get your kids out there and fill the freezer before it's to late!

Marc.

gary mok
11-07-2006, 10:26 PM
way to go first deer and first gut,keep going!!!

30-06
11-07-2006, 10:45 PM
got my first deer this year..it was a doe to..