PDA

View Full Version : 18ft sangster value????

MEATEATER
06-14-2012, 07:12 PM
For all you boat nuts on the site without pics or knowing the boat etc etc etc what do you think a 18ft sangster with a older say mid 80's 65hp merc with power trim and tilt, trailer and fishing gear rods, life jackets, paddles, manual downrigers, tackle etc so what do you think this would be worth? as a package?

Cheers Meateater

proguide66
06-14-2012, 07:18 PM
I just went through maybe 1500 boat adds this spring. They arent holding 'high' thats for sure. With no pics 'almost' makes the thread useless....but if its clean , 'maybe' $2500.00

Jeff88
06-14-2012, 07:19 PM
what year boat ...and without pics it would be a shot in the dark on a price ...if its a mid 80,s all around and its all equiped with downriggers ,sounder ,flares ,lifejackets etc id estimate 3 to 4 grand

RENO
06-14-2012, 08:19 PM
We had one it was a 21 or 23 ft, 1976 model, in board six Merc , depth sounder, down riggers, paddles, life jackets, mustang floater suits, 9.9 kicker, cb, marine radio, stereo system, we sold it in 95 for 3,ooo . It had the half hard top, half soft, and seat 4 people. sound about the same?

MEATEATER
06-14-2012, 09:23 PM
Ya sorry guys I know without pics its kinda silly but I myself am waiting on the pics Im trying to go down island and buy the boat but before I leave I wanna see a pic of it myself just wanted a general idea of value thanks for the help :)

cheers

f350ps
06-14-2012, 09:39 PM
Hardtops are worth more for sure, an 18ft Hard Top Sangster in good condition are in high demand, the power is what will dictate the price. My guess is this boat is a soft top or open boat, not worth much dough. A hard top with and Inboard, Outboard in good shape will still command good coin. Good luck! k

Jagermeister
06-14-2012, 11:16 PM
The boat is so old you should be paid to take it away for the person rather than buying it. Chances are the transom is so rotted that the first time you slap some power to it, it will fold like an accordian. The hull stingers are probably in the same shape. Fiberglas covers the flaws nicely and to find out you will need to drill some small holes to find out if there is no exposed wood. My advice is for you to save your money and buy a newer boat.

betteroffishing
06-15-2012, 03:12 PM
The boat is so old you should be paid to take it away for the person rather than buying it. Chances are the transom is so rotted that the first time you slap some power to it, it will fold like an accordian. The hull stingers are probably in the same shape. Fiberglas covers the flaws nicely and to find out you will need to drill some small holes to find out if there is no exposed wood. My advice is for you to save your money and buy a newer boat.

been there , done that !

Jeff88
06-15-2012, 03:26 PM

i got an 18ft ..K&C ..its 1976 ...i threw a 99 evenrude 150 ocean pro on it and before doing so i had a new aluminum transom built and welded up ...800 bucks ..my beater boat does 60 mph ,,..gets me to my fishing hole dam quik

Foxton Gundogs
06-15-2012, 06:12 PM
I've been perusing the adds my self I looked at lots $2500-$3500 from clean-has that boat ever been in the water condition.

Jeff88
06-15-2012, 07:40 PM
I've been perusing the adds my self I looked at lots $2500-$3500 from clean-has that boat ever been in the water condition.

ya thats probably just motor and hull...not the full package ..sounder downriggers cannonballs rods reels lifejackets ..all that stuff is extra mdepending on quality ofcoarse

B.S.A.30/06
06-15-2012, 07:55 PM
I like to know if the boat catches fish

Jeff88
06-15-2012, 08:00 PM
I like to know if the boat catches fish

well if im on it ,it will

bigshooter
06-15-2012, 08:02 PM
Don't rush in a new boat pops up on used victoria or craigslist every 10 minutes. Check the hull I had a sangster that had soft stringers and the cure is not easy or cheep.

Sitkaspruce
06-15-2012, 08:12 PM
Get a marine survey on any boat you buy. Piece of mind for the boat buyer.

Older Sangsters are good boats, but you need to make sure she is sound and will not cost you an arm and leg later.

If you are going to buy the boat, but it for the hull and re-power, that old motor will cost a lot in fuel, especially up here with our gas being $1.43/l. Nice Etec or yammy will make it easier to go for a boat ride or chase fish. The extra stuff is fluff, easy to buy, no real added value to the price. Buy it for the hull if it is in good shape.

Cheers

SS

Jeff88
06-15-2012, 08:16 PM
Get a marine survey on any boat you buy. Piece of mind for the boat buyer.

Older Sangsters are good boats, but you need to make sure she is sound and will not cost you an arm and leg later.

If you are going to buy the boat, but it for the hull and re-power, that old motor will cost a lot in fuel, especially up here with our gas being $1.43/l. Nice Etec or yammy will make it easier to go for a boat ride or chase fish. The extra stuff is fluff, easy to buy, no real added value to the price. Buy it for the hull if it is in good shape.

Cheers

SS

i dont no about fluff.
2 scotty maual downriggers ...300 bucks
decent depth sounder 300 bucks
decent rods and reels 400 bucks
4 lifejackets 180 bucks

if u consider 1200 bucks fluff ,well must be nice

Jagermeister
06-15-2012, 10:13 PM
i dont no about fluff.
2 scotty maual downriggers ...300 bucks
decent depth sounder 300 bucks
decent rods and reels 400 bucks
4 lifejackets 180 bucks

if u consider 1200 bucks fluff ,well must be niceYou don't get it do you. If the selling price of the boat is $2500, you end up paying that for the 1200 bucks of fluff that is used as the enticement as you junk the boat after finding that you cannot insure it.
Who would want to insure a 25 hundred boat? Probably not many, but you will want 3rd party liability and the insurance companuy will not give that without a marine survey.
Now you get the picture?

Sitkaspruce
06-16-2012, 07:40 AM
As Jager explained, it all fluff to think you got a good deal. All that "extra Stuff" is just that...you can find that stuff anywhere, new or used. If you are going to buy a boat, buy the boat, everthing else is an added bonus if they want to throw it in.

Jeff, if you want to buy a boat for $2500 and they through in $1200 worth of stuff, who do you think is getting the better deal???

Anyways, make sure you get a marine survey, especially on those older. ocean going boats. They are great hulls, but only if the wood transome and stringers are still sound.

Cheers

SS

Foxton Gundogs
06-16-2012, 08:33 AM
ya thats probably just motor and hull...not the full package ..sounder downriggers cannonballs rods reels lifejackets ..all that stuff is extra mdepending on quality ofcoarse

Nope went to look at 3 so far $2800 KC 17 ft with 75 and 4 HPs trailer 2 down riggers, rod holders Hummingbird depth/FF life jackets and misc stuff. The others were simmilarly rigged 1 was $3000 the other $3200. lots of full meal deals over here for a good $

Iron Glove
06-16-2012, 09:02 AM
I've been in the Marine Insurance business for @ 40 years and have written off a number of similar boats due to the noted stringer and transom problems. Hit log. Open 'er up. Find extensive rot. Write off.
As noted, get a survey from a decent Marine Surveyor ( and they are extremely hard to find ) along with a mechanic's inspection of the power. Problem is, you'll likely spend $500 for these guys to tell you it's not worth it.
If you do buy and can't get, or afford, the insurance, as noted earlier at least get liability ( aka Protection & Indemnity ) insurance. You might be able to get your Homeowner's Policy extended - not exactly the same but good enough.
Good luck with your quest.

MEATEATER
06-16-2012, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the input guys I think this one is a write off the guy was supposed to send pics a week ago and still havent seen them Ive talked to him three times since trying to get the pics but still nothing oh well ill keep on my search for a new fishing vessel.

cheers

Bro 300
06-16-2012, 11:21 AM
If you are looking at older boats to buy. Then you may want to narrow your search to Double Eagle or Hourston Glasscraft. These are well made boats and seem to have less problems with transom and stringers. May cost a bit more, but quality usually does. Just an opinion.

Jerry

riflebuilder
06-16-2012, 05:30 PM
I got lucky with an older boat it is not as pretty as the newer ones but it float just as good and the fish still bite.

Sitkaspruce
06-16-2012, 07:22 PM
If you are looking at older boats to buy. Then you may want to narrow your search to Double Eagle or Hourston Glasscraft. These are well made boats and seem to have less problems with transom and stringers. May cost a bit more, but quality usually does. Just an opinion.

Jerry

Sangster is in the same boat, no pun intended........

All three are great west coast boats, all three have the same problems on the older boats. One of the better glass boats out there is a 23' Sangster, lots of WC guides run them.

Of all WC boats in the 17-18' range, these three are some of the best.

But moot point as he is still looking.

Cheers

SS