PDA

View Full Version : spring bear meat is mighty tasty eats!

SimilkameenSlayer
06-13-2012, 09:22 PM
first time for spring bear, and all i can say is yummy! as good as elk if not better.

just sayin'

of course ymmv

tomahawk
06-13-2012, 10:43 PM
Its the most underated meat in BC, too many hunters have a "stigma" about the meat cause its bear, and like you say there missin out on great eats!!

Jelvis
06-13-2012, 10:48 PM
A little bit scary for some of us who have problems with eating pork meat, I believe bears are pig family?
Jelly Head Cheese .. Bacon is the only pork I can hack, once in a blue mooner .. scared of trick ah Nosis ...

warnniklz
06-13-2012, 11:11 PM
A little bit scary for some of us who have problems with eating pork meat, I believe bears are pig family?
Jelly Head Cheese .. Bacon is the only pork I can hack, once in a blue mooner .. scared of trick ah Nosis ...

What about the ecoli on the spinach from your local grocery store?
What about the hormones in the meat you buy from the store?
What about diphyllobothriasis from the wild fish you catch?
Taxoplasmosis that's found in warm-blooded animals?
And all the other diseases out there?

Everett
06-13-2012, 11:15 PM

Well if your a observant Hebrew all wild meat is off limits not sure about our Islamic brothers it may our may not be Halal. I know we have at least on member from Pakistan mayby he could chime in on this. Other wise not sure why anyone would have a hang up about Pig our Bear both are real tasty and fear of tric is a real sorry excuse to eat very tasty meat.

Jelvis
06-13-2012, 11:17 PM
I eat deer and moose, never pork, and only small amounts of lean beef sandwich meats. I don't eat beef burger anymore or beef steak. Some chicken and turkey and take Omega 3 fish oils.
Jel .. deer and moose .. with some chicken and turkey and lean Montreal beef roast slices with Horse raddish mayo

Everett
06-13-2012, 11:27 PM
I eat deer and moose, never pork, and only small amounts of lean beef sandwich meats. I don't eat beef burger anymore or beef steak. Some chicken and turkey and take Omega 3 fish oils.
Jel .. deer and moose .. with some chicken and turkey and lean Montreal beef roast slices with Horse raddish mayo

So you would eat chicken and turkey the two filthiest meats you can buy but not bear give your head a shake.

Steeleco
06-13-2012, 11:37 PM
Bear meat from either season is hands down the most favored in my house.

Whonnock Boy
06-13-2012, 11:42 PM
I have to admit that I was turned off of bear the first time I tried it. Island fish bears will do that I guess. I am going to give bear another shot. Every year I buy a tag, but never fill it. This year might have a different outcome.

Dhegg
06-14-2012, 07:01 AM
the only problem I have with bear meat is that I can't keep it long enough. once i've processed it it seems to be the only thing my clan wants to eat! Maybe it's cause i told them it will put hair on their chests!

There will always be room for bear on my kitchen table!

Slinky Pickle
06-14-2012, 07:08 AM
I believe bears are pig family?

You're wrong on this one too man! Sorry to burst your bubble.

Glenny
06-14-2012, 07:28 AM
Bear tastes nothing like pork but I wish it did. Pork rocks!!

nolimits
06-14-2012, 07:58 AM
Bear meat from either season is hands down the most favored in my house.

Got to ask: is there a difference in taste between bears from both seasons?

SimilkameenSlayer
06-14-2012, 08:58 AM
what i did ...

placed the bear meat in the slow cooker 8hours, added some veges and seasoning at 7th hour and served.

tasted like a cross between prime rib and pork with a very mild gamey taste, texture is course but fulls apart on your fork.

also the nice thing about hunting spring bear is i get the whole forest to myself, very few folk out.

Steeleco
06-14-2012, 09:27 AM
Got to ask: is there a difference in taste between bears from both seasons?

Not in my experience. Some will state one tastes better than the other but I think it's more down to the individual bear and it's diet more than when it's shot. Typically spring bears are easier to cut as they carry less fat. But the one my son got on the MLWE filled a 3 gallon bucket with fat. Thought it was a fall bear LOL

ABad
06-14-2012, 09:56 AM
Well if your a observant Hebrew all wild meat is off limits not sure about our Islamic brothers it may our may not be Halal. I know we have at least on member from Pakistan mayby he could chime in on this. Other wise not sure why anyone would have a hang up about Pig our Bear both are real tasty and fear of tric is a real sorry excuse to eat very tasty meat.

Gen 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;
Gen 27:4 And make me savory meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die.
Gen 27:5 And Rebekah heard when Isaac spoke to Esau his son. And Esau went to the field to hunt for venison, and to bring it.

Hi - not all wild meat is prohibited.

REMINGTON JIM
06-14-2012, 10:27 AM

Not even CLOSE ! ever seen a bear with HOOFS ? Try Google sometime - there is info for you ! :) RJ

Moose Guide
06-14-2012, 10:47 AM

Why would all wild meat be off limits to Hebrews? Deer, Elk, Moose, Caribou, Sheep and Goats all have a cloven hoof and chew their cud!! Pigs have a cloven hoof but don't chew cud and rabbits chew cud but don't have a cloven hoof (most of the critters called un-clean are on the clean-up commitee) Fish must have both fins and scales.

Moose Guide
06-14-2012, 10:49 AM
Not even CLOSE ! ever seen a bear with HOOFS ? Try Google sometime - there is info for you ! :) RJ

In high school, we were taught that the bear is part of the pig family!!!

Gateholio
06-14-2012, 10:55 AM
Why would all wild meat be off limits to Hebrews? Deer, Elk, Moose, Caribou, Sheep and Goats all have a cloven hoof and chew their cud!! Pigs have a cloven hoof but don't chew cud and rabbits chew cud but don't have a cloven hoof (most of the critters called un-clean are on the clean-up commitee) Fish must have both fins and scales.

Unless the wild game was killed via kosher or halal methods, it's off limits. That's what I was told by a Jewish friend, anyway.

Gateholio
06-14-2012, 10:56 AM
Bears aren't related to pigs via DNA

Moose Guide
06-14-2012, 11:01 AM
Unless the wild game was killed via kosher or halal methods, it's off limits. That's what I was told by a Jewish friend, anyway.

As I understand from my Bible, that means that the blood must be spilt o the ground, so no snaring moose:) and no blood sausage!

REMINGTON JIM
06-14-2012, 11:29 AM
In high school, we were taught that the bear is part of the pig family!!!

Really ? :confused: and where was that at ? RJ

Husky7mm
06-14-2012, 11:36 AM
So aside from farmer sausage and peperonni what are other good ideas for the bear meat? I find the steaks too grainy.

GrandA
06-14-2012, 11:44 AM
i must of eaten a disgusting one.. it was gamey fatty and tough

Slinky Pickle
06-14-2012, 11:48 AM
So aside from farmer sausage and peperonni what are other good ideas for the bear meat? I find the steaks too grainy.

The hinds done up as hams are delicious!!! Just make sure to cook it completely.

SimilkameenSlayer
06-14-2012, 12:34 PM
acts 10:9

It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles of the earth and birds of the air. Then a voice told him, “Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.”

Steeleco
06-14-2012, 12:44 PM
Wasn't this thread about taste and not religion?????

warnniklz
06-14-2012, 12:48 PM
If you get a bear that's gotten into a ranchers dead pit, grazing in the dump, foraging in the city or been gorging on fish... those tend to be off in flavour.

porkncheese
06-14-2012, 12:59 PM
Got a fall bear last year and when we were procesing it the meat smelled fantastic! a really sweat smell to it. Got it in the middle of nowhere so it was not near any dumps or towns. It's pelt was cleaner than the hide of any deer that I have harvested so I was confident it had not been into or rolling in anybodies gut pile. Got breakfast sausage made out of it and ill tell you when you cook them up in a fry pan with a little maple syrup there is nothing better! First bear but not my last!

Husky7mm
06-14-2012, 01:38 PM
When you get sausage mad out of a bear would it still be wise to add pork?

SimilkameenSlayer
06-14-2012, 01:48 PM

my spring bear was quite lean, next to no fat, but his flesh was a little oily, so i would say that adding pork is optional.

hunterdon
06-14-2012, 02:28 PM

Actually I never add pork fat to any sausage that I make. If I make sausage like Bratwurst for example I will add bear fat. That includes Bratwurst made with bear, deer or moose. Bear fat is a nice lite fat which is very mild in taste, and in my opinion is better than pork fat. Now for other sausages, like salami for example, you want a heavier fat,(bear or pork is too light). In that case I'll get some beef fat from my local butcher. Beef fat does not have a strong taste, such other wild game such as deer. You don't want to use that. Also, according to my wife, bear fat makes the very best shortening for baking.

porkncheese
06-14-2012, 03:35 PM
We added 20% pork fat and were happy, Should have thought of using the bear fat would have saved some money. We rendered some fat down to put on our boots to water proof. Thought it would be a natural smell to have on there. Worked well for keeping moisture out in the snow. I was told afterwards that I was silly for not smoking a ham, best thing you will ever put in your mouth I'm told. Anybody got a recipie or method for smoked bear ham?

ElectricDyck
06-14-2012, 03:38 PM
I find bear meat to be tough, even the tender loins. We had some hams done by a butcher that were very tasty but a work out to chew! I started sausaging the whole thing but maybe I should try the slow cooker again. I sometimes make roasts, cook them, let them cool and then cut them ultra thin to make them tender in the meat slicer and eat with gravy or just a bit of seasoning salt or horseradish.

Moose Guide
06-14-2012, 05:17 PM
Really ? :confused: and where was that at ? RJ

Southern B.C., just don't be shocked if you hear someone state that bears and pigs are related because they used to teach it in school.

nature girl
06-14-2012, 06:23 PM
I just had for supper spaghetti made with deer hamburger and bear sausage.

REMINGTON JIM
06-17-2012, 02:20 PM
Southern B.C., just don't be shocked if you hear someone state that bears and pigs are related because they used to teach it in school.

Prob because both can have Trichinosis in there meat ! :icon_frow RJ

Gateholio
06-17-2012, 03:45 PM
As I understand from my Bible, that means that the blood must be spilt o the ground, so no snaring moose:) and no blood sausage!

It's a little more involved than that. Bullets aren't kosher, from what I understand.

nuadixion
06-17-2012, 05:23 PM
Prob because both can have Trichinosis in there meat ! :icon_frow RJ

I have never seen a bear with hooves ......all omnivores and carnivores can have Trichinosis. I also found a reference stating that horse can have it to.

REMINGTON JIM
06-17-2012, 05:31 PM
I have never seen a bear with hooves ......all omnivores and carnivores can have Trichinosis. I also found a reference stating that horse can have it to.

Refer to post # 17 :) RJ

Phoneguy
07-26-2012, 11:33 AM
I took my first bear last September in the McBride area. No odor and very clean. My wife has an issue with bear meat, and until recently would make a face whenever I suggested trying it. Made sausage, and then she started agreeing that she liked it. Easter time I was looking at what was left in the freezer, came upstairs with a 1.5 lb bag of ground in my hand. Wife sees it and asked if I was going to make burgers. So, I made burgers on the barbeque, chopped onion, egg, regular seasonings just like I would beef. Put some barbeque sauce in the meat while mixing too.
At dinner she commented that those were the best burgers I had ever made, and what was it. When I told her it was bear her face kind of dropped, then she said "well they are good" and finished it off.

Fast forward a month or two, at dinner at friends house and the conversation turned to game meat, and I was asked about eating bear meat, she piped up ......"Its really very good!"

If you had a bad bear in the past I would suggest trying again. I have had bad lamb, and beef too. It happens sometimes.

James

greenhorn
07-26-2012, 07:14 PM

Which cartridge do you need to use for it to be kosher and halal? Probably a new WSM?

REMINGTON JIM
07-26-2012, 07:24 PM
Which cartridge do you need to use for it to be kosher and halal? Probably a new WSM?

Nope - Prob 223 Rem with 55 gr tsx bullet ! :shock: That seems to be the newest BG cartridge ! :smile: LOL RJ

BCHoyt
07-26-2012, 09:06 PM
I love my bear meat... Already cooked a roast in the slow cooker, steaks on the bbq, breakfast sausage, kilbossa, and just made a pasta sauce with ground bear.. So gooooooooood!

Ron.C
07-27-2012, 10:55 AM

When I butcher mine, I remove ALL bear fat before I grind it. I then add ground pork fat "which I can get for free" and make some of the tastiest burgers I have ever had. Someone stated about fishy bears, I avoid hunting in tidal areas or near fish streams. Mountain bears for me.

Gateholio
07-27-2012, 11:25 AM

You would need to get up close and personal with a knife for it to be kosher. Bears are predators though, so not on the kosher list of animals anyway. :)

rbduck
07-27-2012, 12:39 PM
Love bear meat. Number two on my list. Roasts, chops, burger, jerky, steaks. Burgers are my favourite.

Ron