PDA

View Full Version : transfer or not???

drakfero
06-13-2012, 08:13 PM
Guys , would you be happier if the Gov moved animals (example elk from reg. 7) which are over populating or problematic to another region lets say reg 8 instead of giving up more LEH draws for antlerless? I think would be nicer to travel closer than to reg 7 or 4 for elk , wouldn't it?

Caveman
06-13-2012, 08:23 PM
Absolutely, but for the same reasons they are a nuisance up there, the farmers here don't want the hassle.

coach
06-13-2012, 08:23 PM
Think about the costs involved. Then ask the question again.

91Jason91
06-13-2012, 08:27 PM
Prob cheaper to get people to farm elk up in those areas and let them go after prob cheaper to do that

TheProvider
06-13-2012, 08:29 PM
x2 very expensive... unless you wanna see prices for licences sky rocket

MattW
06-13-2012, 08:52 PM
I think they'd have a hard time capturing and moving large enough numbers to help the overpopulation issue. Like was said, the farmers where the elk would be getting dropped off would be mad.

ufishifish2
06-13-2012, 10:07 PM
I've been watching our local Elk herd for the last ten years. There is only between ten and twenty animals and the farmers are always complaining.
Funny thing is that the herd never seems to grow. I am certain that the farmers have something to do with the herd that never grows.
I couldn't imagine introducing higher numbers of Elk anywhere without having a Vancouver Riot break out.
Also the cost would be astronomical to move enough animals to actually make a difference.
Plus the I*****s would probably have a hay-day in most areas they would be transferred.

boxhitch
06-13-2012, 10:48 PM
I've been watching our local Elk herd for the last ten yearsBonus, what with 6's open this year.

Gateholio
06-13-2012, 11:18 PM
Just ask them to drop them in your backyard. Even closer to home.

drakfero
06-14-2012, 07:12 AM
hahaha , cost??? how much would it be , 5 k max.. ask the guys from Gold river , how much was it to move elk from there.. 5 k is one trailer from toronto which has to come back , so lets be real about the price..

MB_Boy
06-14-2012, 07:20 AM
hahaha , cost??? how much would it be , 5 k max.. ask the guys from Gold river , how much was it to move elk from there.. 5 k is one trailer from toronto which has to come back , so lets be real about the price..

Why don't you think about the costs and then be "real" about the price.

Are the elk going to trap and drive themselves down to the Kootenays???? :roll: Look at the bigger picture beyond fuel. :wink:

Amphibious
06-14-2012, 07:26 AM
Everyone wants hunting to be easy. Waaaaa, no elk in my backyard. waaaaa, someone should plant some here so I can have an easier hunt and won't have to go where the animals live. Maybe talk to the guys with buckets full of bass? Maybe we should seed a whole bunch of bighorn in Stanley park so the the Vancouver types don't have to drive or climb such a long way to get one.

MB_Boy
06-14-2012, 07:32 AM
Maybe we should seed a whole bunch of bighorn in Stanley park so the the Vancouver types don't have to drive or climb such a long way to get one.

Ya....and all the morons down here would be saying, "let's go see the endangered deer in the park.". :wink:

Mark_S
06-14-2012, 08:55 AM

It cost around $17,000 per animal to transplant some Caribou this spring from Dease lake into the East Kootenays. I'm guessing Elk are going to run a pretty comparable number. Its way more cost effective to simply shoot more in region 7 and manage more in region 8.

BCrams
06-14-2012, 10:27 AM
It cost around $17,000 per animal to transplant some Caribou this spring from Dease lake into the East Kootenays. I'm guessing Elk are going to run a pretty comparable number. Its way more cost effective to simply shoot more in region 7 and manage more in region 8.

Not quite as expensive for elk. Relying on volunteers etc - the cost summary to transplant 50 elk from Groundbirch to Ingenika River was $16, 855 back in 1996 (roughly $337 per elk). Bring it up to today's dollars and its still affordable.

Not implying or saying we should translocate elk anywhere for that matter but if I could remove elk from certain areas in BC, I'd give strong consideration to give them the boot from from Stone's sheep range (in particular - winter range habitat).

drakfero
06-15-2012, 06:44 PM
Not quite as expensive for elk. Relying on volunteers etc - the cost summary to transplant 50 elk from Groundbirch to Ingenika River was $16, 855 back in 1996 (roughly $337 per elk). Bring it up to today's dollars and its still affordable.

Not implying or saying we should translocate elk anywhere for that matter but if I could remove elk from certain areas in BC, I'd give strong consideration to give them the boot from from Stone's sheep range (in particular - winter range habitat).

and there is no road in Ingenika River , so the expenses are higher..

drakfero
06-15-2012, 08:12 PM
www.bchydro.com/pwcp/pdfs/reports/pwfwcp_report_no_185.pdf (http://www.bchydro.com/pwcp/pdfs/reports/pwfwcp_report_no_185.pdf)

TASK/ITEM COST

Contractor (setting up corral trap; baiting & trapping elk) 8,931
Radio-collars (10) 3,217
Nylon neckbands (26) 675
Antibiotics and Miscellaneous Supplies 1,435
Corral trap transport (Dawson Cr-Groundbirch & return) 380
Elk transport (3 trips Groundbirch-Ingenika & return) 1,000
Travel & accommodations 1,217
TOTAL $16,855

as you can see , it could be 1000$ with volunteers...

drakfero
06-15-2012, 08:16 PM
17 k per animal?? :))))))))))) is it moving by helicopter piece by piece of business class? :D

Jim Prawn
06-15-2012, 08:27 PM
Biologically, relocating animals from one location to another should be an absolute last resort. Introduction of foreign pathogens and a different gene pool could be devastating to otherwise healthy populations. Money and hunting oportunity aside this should only ever be done if a local population is extinct. Only politics would allow for such stupidity.
JP

BCrams
06-15-2012, 08:42 PM
and there is no road in Ingenika River , so the expenses are higher..

There's a road and has been for a long time. Pretty easy to get there.

Elk are still kicking around as well.

Trophyslayer
06-15-2012, 11:12 PM
This thread is ridiculous!

hunter1947
06-16-2012, 03:06 AM
Me thinks that by doing the transplant it would only benefit the bad people doing this its called pouching and other not to mention...

curt
06-16-2012, 07:54 AM
In a perfect world it would be great to see the government take surplus animals and move them to area's where the numbers are weaker. I personally think it would be great for future populations in the entire province , its not like they havent done it before they moved elk to the mainland from various herds on the island a few yrs back. Reality is not very often political/government brass spend money like that for the sake of our wildlife!! That would take away from their personal expense accounts, their new office furniture and the fancy air conditioning units and we just couldnt have that now could we!! :)

The Dude
06-16-2012, 08:02 AM
Everyone wants hunting to be easy. Waaaaa, no elk in my backyard. waaaaa, someone should plant some here so I can have an easier hunt and won't have to go where the animals live. Maybe talk to the guys with buckets full of bass? Maybe we should seed a whole bunch of bighorn in Stanley park so the the Vancouver types don't have to drive or climb such a long way to get one.

Man, that would be SO awesome! Can you drive the truck? :D

elcazador
06-16-2012, 12:29 PM
I think the activist should pay for the transfer of the animals otherwise they get culled.

i totally agree with transferring elk to seed areas that previously contained elk, like in watersheds or big parcels that will sustain big herds, then allow hunting just on the outskirts of the land to contain the animals not to control herd growth. just my opinion...

Castlerock
06-16-2012, 08:53 PM
Guys , would you be happier if the Gov moved animals (example elk from reg. 7) which are over populating or problematic to another region lets say reg 8 instead of giving up more LEH draws for antlerless? I think would be nicer to travel closer than to reg 7 or 4 for elk , wouldn't it?

Hello all -> this is my first post I hope I can add to the discussion that is happening here. I have always been an advocate for wildlife conservation and I believe the only way to do this is through a well thought out hunting program. There are just to many of us Bipeds on this planet to think that nature could take care of itself, but no doubt I could be very wrong about this, we could be witness to nature taking care of all of us in the very near future?

I was listening to CBC today and on Quirks and Quarks there was a discussion about BSE (mad cow disease), I happened to read this post afterwards and thought of the implications of moving animals from one place to another, not only the cost of moving said animals but the spread of disease should also be a huge issue for the Government, I don't know but I would think that this would also be a prime motivation in any government program that sought to move animals from one place to another. If you have a chance go to this URL -> http://www.cbc.ca/video/news/audioplayer.html?clipid=2246371895 to listen to the discussion on BSE, cows may have no interest to you but towards the very end there is mention of wildlife in Alberta and other points east that could be of concern to all hunters. Take the time to listen to the whole discussion it is interesting!:???:

My thoughts on transferring animals, not a chance, cull the animals where they are, there are just to many unknowns.