PDA

View Full Version : Retrieval of your animal

7MM RM
06-13-2012, 09:10 AM
In the past year and as recent as the past few days I have been hearing about people loosing thier animals. I understad that this is something that will happen from time to time and most of the folks on here have a story of searching for days and even asking for help finding thier animal. Im not concerned by these folks. Its the folks that tell me- "Shot a nice buck on the weekend but I looked for a good 2 hours and I couldn't find em". This is discusting to me.

The latest was a guy that shot a nice bear in the early afternoon and by 4pm he was heading out looking for another one. The guy hadn't reported the thing and didn't cut a tag. After I gave him Sh#$ (S@#$) he called it in.

Am I alone in hearing these sorts of stories or does this happen to you guys too. What do you do about it?

KodiakHntr
06-13-2012, 09:29 AM
Good on him for not cutting his tag. You DON'T CUT THE TAG TILL ANIMAL IS IN YOUR HAND.

And report to who? For what reason? If he couldn't find it knowing exactly where it was when he shot and the direction it went a CO is supposed to go spend valuable time and $$ looking for a bear that may or may not have been hit?

604redneck
06-13-2012, 09:29 AM
First off shit can happen animal moves as u shoot ur scope is bumped and the shot is too low or something but as for the not cutting ur tag thats a different story.

Glenny
06-13-2012, 09:32 AM
I don't find 2 hours unreasonable. Guess it all depends on the circumstances.

rocksteady
06-13-2012, 09:49 AM
Depends on what you find in the 2 hours...

If you find no hair, blood etc after 2 hours, maybe it was a clean miss....

If you are finding blood, lung tissue, hair , bone all over the place, maybe 2 hours is not enough....

There is no guidance in the regs as to how long you must look for it, so therefore no offence has occurred...

Steeleco
06-13-2012, 09:52 AM
2 hours in some locations can be like all day in others. And like has been said, you don't cut your tag till your animal is at your feet. If you can't find an animal in 2 hours, you may not have hit it like you thought you had and its long gone and licking its wounds. I once hit a bear and searched till well past dark. It's not a nice feeling leaving without it. But had to return to work in the AM so I had no opportunity to go back and search more. Shit happens.

Foxton Gundogs
06-13-2012, 09:57 AM
2 hours in some locations can be like all day in others. And like has been said, you don't cut your tag till your animal is at your feet. If you can't find an animal in 2 hours, you may not have hit it like you thought you had and its long gone and licking its wounds. I once hit a bear and searched till well past dark. It's not a nice feeling leaving without it. But had to return to work in the AM so I had no opportunity to go back and search more. Shit happens.

X2, and every inconent is diffrent and cant really be measured in time

Ddog
06-13-2012, 10:28 AM
why on earth would he report it, and to whom? who are you to give him shit and tell him to report it?
so let me get this straight, in your eyes if you shoot at an animal and lose it you should report it? you need to relax, shit happens, there is no need to report anything, unless it poses an immediate danger to people in the area and even then it isn't mandatory that one has to report.

7MM RM
06-13-2012, 12:28 PM
why on earth would he report it, and to whom? who are you to give him shit and tell him to report it?
so let me get this straight, in your eyes if you shoot at an animal and lose it you should report it? you need to relax, shit happens, there is no need to report anything, unless it poses an immediate danger to people in the area and even then it isn't mandatory that one has to report.

If a hunter knowingly hits an aminal, I was always taught to cut your tag and wait a few minutes for the animal to die. Might not be in the regs that way but there is an ethics portion of the CORE. I guess if your aminal doesn't drop on impact, just throw er in reverse and find another one eh?

Barracuda
06-13-2012, 12:40 PM
If a hunter knowingly hits an aminal, I was always taught to cut your tag and wait a few minutes for the animal to die. Might not be in the regs that way but there is an ethics portion of the CORE. I guess if your aminal doesn't drop on impact, just throw er in reverse and find another one eh?

It isnt in the ethics portion to ilegally cut your tag for an animal you did not kill (must confirm the kill) . A clean miss is a clean miss no blood no sign and there is a very good chance no hit. even a hit does not ensure you will find the animal if it is a not fatel wound. you are to make every reasonable attempt to find an animal you have wounded but you are not allowed under any circumstances to cut a tag for an animal you have not personally harvested.

Licence Cancellation
It is unlawful to be in possession of a big gameanimal without a properly cancelled specieslicence or otherwise by licence, permit, oras provided by regulation. Any person whokills any big game species must immediatelyafter the kill and before handling the big gamekilled, cancell the appropriate species licencein accordance with the instructions on thatlicence.

Gateholio
06-13-2012, 12:41 PM

if you cut your tag and don't recover the animal, you have broken the law and could be ticketed/ fined.

7MM RM
06-13-2012, 12:47 PM
I agree with Barracuda on that. What is frustrating is that when you see that you hit the thing and its a good shot, take as long as possible to recover it. You can tell we all need some time in the bush to "de-stress"...Gettin a bit tense in here!

rocksteady
06-13-2012, 12:52 PM

Show me where that says it in the CORE manual???

You are assuming, the following:

a) Ddog is a road hunter -----WRONG
b) Ddog would not even go look for signs of a hit ----Wrong again..
c) Ddog is a rifle hunter -----Wrong for a third time.....

Just beacuse YOU were taught something, it does not mean you are correct.....

See what happens when you start a "flame" thread ???? Better put on your asbestos undies :)

06-13-2012, 01:12 PM
7mm RM

I get what you are saying in part. Though i have never heard of a guy not doing everything they can to recover an animal.
There is some ignorant or un screpulous people out there im sure that would just wak to where the animal was and say "Nope musta missed it" But not in my life have i met one.

like it has been said somethines it takes 6hrs t come up dry sometimes you can figure it out in 1hr.
I shot at a bear last year and missed ( Still dont know how ) i spent 2 hrs that evening with 2 people and 2 more the next morning. I had flagged every step of the shot. Where the bear was and where i was and where i saw it go. My partner was dong circles and i was looking for blood or hair around its tracks. Combine this with my full recolection of pulling the trigger and the bear just looking back at me and walking away,,,,,,,, miss. Took the gun out the next weekend and shot 3-4 1" groups at 100yds..... all me baybe,,,,, all me.

SimilkameenSlayer
06-13-2012, 01:22 PM
imho, it's all about doing "dodeligence", making sure that the animal is "out of bounds" for any possible practical recovery. this may take 5 mins or two days, whatever is appropriate for the situation.

http://blog.michna.com/sites/blog.michna.com/files/smiley_popcorn.gif

The Dude
06-13-2012, 01:24 PM
Kinda daring thread for a noob, I might say.

06-13-2012, 01:35 PM
Kinda daring thread for a noob, I might say.

Gotta give the guy benifit of the doubt,,,,,, he might not know how big the spoon is and whats in the pot!

boxhitch
06-13-2012, 01:39 PM
Preaching about what should be done goes on every Sunday..........and look where that gets us.

boxhitch
06-13-2012, 01:41 PM
Gotta give the guy benifit of the doubtNaw, The Dude hasn't spent enough time on this one, to show him the ways

sawmill
06-13-2012, 01:47 PM

Ah,a new internet saint.

Ddog
06-13-2012, 01:47 PM
you were taught wrong, plain and simple, if you take a shot at an animal and think you hit it your saying you cut your tag?or if you knowingly hit it you cut your tag? whomever taught you that is also wrong, you need to step back read the regs again and possibly take another core program. The only time you cut your tag is when you recover the animal you shot, simple.

rocksteady
06-13-2012, 02:03 PM
Oh.. and the 4th ASSUMPTION....

Ddog Misses :)

bandit
06-13-2012, 02:15 PM
"RetrievalNo person shall kill, cripple or wound game without making all
reasonable effort to retrieve and include it in his/her bag limit"

Reasonable effort appears to be the key word here. In legal terms it is pretty ambiguous.

Barracuda
06-13-2012, 02:21 PM
for most folks Retrieve would be the key . if you cannot retrive or confirm it is killed you cant include it in the bag limit . if you can confirm its kill but do not retrive that another canoworms (sheep or goat falling to a ledge would be a such a situation which could cause grief)

if you read the back of your page on your hunting tag booklet it gives instructions . .

Licence must be cancelled7 (1) If a person hunts and kills big game, he or she commits an offence unless, immediately after he or she kills the big game and before handling the big game killed, he or she cancels the appropriate species licence in accordance with the instructions on that licence.

7MM RM
06-13-2012, 03:29 PM
I guess I'm wrong on the cutting the tag part. Been wrong before and probably be wrong again. My point is that I feel that SOME people are not putting in a reasonable effort to recover their animals. That's all! Assumption #5...Your have a life outside this forum...wrong again.Thanks to those whom corrected without being Dix.

springpin
06-13-2012, 03:59 PM
Ah,a new internet saint.
It sure seems like it.

06-13-2012, 04:11 PM
I guess I'm wrong on the cutting the tag part. Been wrong before and probably be wrong again. My point is that I feel that SOME people are not putting in a reasonable effort to recover their animals. That's all! Assumption #5...Your have a life outside this forum...wrong again.Thanks to those whom corrected without being Dix.

Just suck it up and learn! You my friend stuck a very big spoon and stirred a big pot!
Wording is HUGE here, as i am sure you are aware now.

like i said, i really think 90% of us do our very best. 5% dont know how to be better because they werent taught right and 5% are just idiots.
If you are surrounded by the bad 5% or the ignorant 5% that sucks..... But be careful with what you read on forums.... because here there is a million opinions and ways to do things..... In my 20+ years hunting i can honestly say i have never hunted with a guy that wouldnt give his all.... Ive met a coupe shady guys but i do not spend a cent of time on them....

Now go poach a bear! :)

kidding,,, thats bad :)

lovemywinchester
06-13-2012, 04:14 PM
It think it could be pretty easy to miss a wounded or dead animal in the bush if it ran a ways. A bear or deer can fall over dead and slide up against a log or end up in a little hollow or brush pile and you would never see it. This is just a theory because anything I shoot drops within a few meters.

06-13-2012, 04:16 PM
It think it could be pretty easy to miss a wounded or dead animal in the bush if it ran a ways. A bear or deer can fall over dead and slide up against a log or end up in a little hollow or brush pile and you would never see it. This is just a theory because anything I shoot drops within a few meters.

I lost 1 deer,,,, since then i get a lump in my throught every time i go up to an animal. Even if i watch them drop like rocks....

lovemywinchester
06-13-2012, 04:24 PM
I lost 1 deer,,,, since then i get a lump in my throught every time i go up to an animal. Even if i watch them drop like rocks....

A lost Van isle deer would be even harder to find in that gnarly terrain. Especially when you consider that 90% of them they are the size of a farm goat. (except those legendary Renfrew mulie x breed transplants)

1980skywalker
06-13-2012, 04:59 PM
I do see your frustration 7mm, but with that said losing game is an extremely unfortunate part of the fantastic sport we all call hunting. It can happen to even the best of us and spend enough time out there and it probably will happen. I have been on that unfortunate end and it definitely leaves a lump in your throat, I literally wanted to puke. But as others have said every circumstance is different and it is our responsiblity as hunters to use good judgement and make every effort reasonable for the circumstance to recover our game.

7MM RM
06-13-2012, 05:08 PM
I'm new to this forum and as 835 said, it seems wording is everything and sensitive topic are gonna get alot of attention. Lesson learned, some folks take this place very very serious. I'll read up on my core and continue putting in my very best effort when I shoot an animal. I have never lost one and have been hunting for a long time now and hope I never have to go thru it.

pg83
06-13-2012, 05:18 PM
There is no worse feel on a hunt than being unsure of your shot and not knowing if the animal is alive and well, wounded, or dead. The circumstances change on every hunt and with every potential shot, but the feeling remains the same. I have failed to recover one animal in my hunting career and it haunts me to this day. The cougar of my dreams(get your heads out of the gutter) got away from me. I know I hit him because I found blood, but I never did find him. For all I know he was curled up against a rock 2 feet from me, but 10 hours of searching the last footprints and bloodstains turned up nothing.

lightmag
06-13-2012, 05:53 PM

really?? hence the "junior" hunter label, so you know you when you hit an animal everytime hey???? NOT!! sometimes the can react to a shot like they have been hit but arent, some show no sign of a direct lung shot, so your theory is ALLL wrong!! you cut your tag when the animal is FOUND, no animal, no cut tag, simple. The ethics that come into play are knowing your gun, your limits, making smart clean shots, looking for animals properly etc... cutting a tag with no animal lying dead in front of you has NOTHING to do with ethics junior hunter.

timberhunter
06-13-2012, 06:15 PM
Ok I think everyone has had a chance to dance around the flaming fire on this one. Down she goes before it gets ugly.

As often the case with internet forums.
The fingers doing the typing are often way faster than the brain telling the fingers what to type.
Research the fish and game regs and laws before posting about someone breaking any laws. There have been many threads that have lead to a visit from your local Game wardens and rightly so.
In the old days there were 3 easy rules to follow.
1. Shoot
2. Shovel
3. Shut up

:)

Kidding