PDA

View Full Version : Catahoula Leopard Cur

MFERGIE
06-13-2012, 12:50 AM
Hey all I've recently adopted a spayed approx 4-5 year old Catahoula Leopard Cur female. I've been working with her for the past two weeks establishing strong bonds, confidence building and socializing with my other Alpha female Bandogge Mastiff/Labrador. So far so good, she gets along with my alpha female, seems genuinely smart, alert, listens well and has good all around happy go lucky personality. I took her on leash out behind our barn and let her sniff out a feral cat, nose to the ground silently she took me right to him where she lit up, barking and baying. As she was leashed and the feral was up on an old scaffold, I let her bay for five minutes then rewarded her with some treats. I have treed bears with my Bandogge/Lab but never Cats as we never hunt them. I'm hoping with the new addition we can put a few coons and cats up this year or atleast have some good fun trying!

Does anyone else out there use Catahoula Curs? I'de love to hear about your dogs hunting, pics, stories etc?

I will post pics of our new beautiful girl soon!

MFERGIE
06-13-2012, 07:16 AM

MFERGIE
06-13-2012, 07:20 AM
Sorry for the sideways pics, lets hope Misty pics up on Cats faster than me with photobucket...

Foxton Gundogs
06-13-2012, 07:34 AM
Not sure how much you have looked into the breed, I remember in the late 60's when they were first brought to the B.C Interior. They were called Catahoula Cow and Hog Dogs....Later changed to Catahoula Leopard Hounds http://www.google.ca/search?q=catahoula+leopard+hound+info&hl=en&rlz=1T4GGLL_enCA403CA403&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=0KLYT-T5EKKi2wXypICTDw&ved=0CF8QsAQ&biw=1350&bih=558 , I am assuming these are the same dogs as u refer to under yet another new name. They were developed by the Cajuns in Louisanna to hunt wild cows and pigs. I have seen them used here as cattle dogs, as well as run in hound packs on both bear and cats. They seem to have a tendency to be fighters when something turns at bay on the ground(I supose do to ite Hogging roots) and if you run cats or bear singley with one it may have a very short career. I'm no expert but the ones I have known were, as they were bred for great companion dogs protective of home and human and kinds medeocor jack of all trades, they herd cows but are by no meand border collies, run game but not as good as nose etc as true hounds and are good fighters but not of airdale quality. Lots of the Hog hunters in the south are now crossing pit bull to get more fight into them as hog dogs. Not sure if this helps or not but prety much all I know 1st hand about them.

6.5x55mm
06-13-2012, 07:42 AM
I have 2, best all around dogs I have ever had. Have been hunting bears with them this fall. They both love it. Very loyal dog. Catahoula leopard hound, which is a member of the Cur family.

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk314/ovis383/Dahli1.jpg

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk314/ovis383/toadtsavo.jpg

houndogger
06-13-2012, 07:47 AM
So she is a catahoula leopard cross? Never had anything to do with a catahoula but heard lots good. Leopards are dam fine cat dogs I think you will be more then pleased with her. Find her a hot track in the snow and see what she will do for you. Keep us posted!

anglo-saxon
06-13-2012, 07:53 AM
She looks happy. Love the wall eye!

mfarrally
06-13-2012, 08:00 AM
Ive got one. Hes an awesome dog. Although he has treed a couple bears and coons on his own, he is more of a pet. Bit more of a hot nosed dog I would think. I got mine from a breeder on the mainland who doesn't really breed them only for hunting. I imagine you could get some catahoulas down south that would make unreal bear dogs.
These dogs get confused with the american leopard hound, I believe these are completely different dogs.

mfarrally
06-13-2012, 08:02 AM
http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac270/mfarrally/IMG_0104.jpg

MFERGIE
06-13-2012, 08:36 AM
Thanks for your replies everyone! 6.5X55mm those are some awesome looking pups you have there, If you don't mind me asking where did you get them from?

I've done a ton of research on these dogs the past while and am by no means a Catahoula/American Leopord expert, but through my searches I seem to find the same general consensus that these dogs are related down the line and are simply two varieties of the same dog bred for different traits and qualities in different areas? I was told that misty was from down south in the states and was papered Louisiana Catahoula? Anybody able to add to or clarify the above?

I'm hoping that because these dogs are closed mouth and hot trackers that she will take a fresh track on leash and maybe we can get the element of surprise on a cat or two. Although I trust my Bandogge on bears solo I will be "attempting" to hunt the two dogs together on cats as I truly believe dogs work dangerous game better as a pair or more. Planning on doing some drags with the two of them together and go from there. Anyone interested in running a rag tag team of dogs on some kitties this year I'm in the LM.

MFERGIE
06-13-2012, 08:47 AM
http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac270/mfarrally/IMG_0104.jpg

mfarrally that is an awesome looking dog, by any chance is that a Catahoula Ranch dog out of Mission? Gets me pumped seeing him up the tree, too cool!!

Any chance you would like to share what you know about the breeds differing? Like I said I have read and read and keep finding the same hotheaded debates about the two breeds. Is it a general understanding that these dogs came from the same lines but were later altered by different breeders for different qualities? Whats the scoop lol? Not that it matters but i'm going to try and track down the paperwork for her, might give me some insight as to what i'm working with here ;)

mfarrally
06-13-2012, 04:12 PM
Ya got him from Catahoula ranch. He is a great dog, and probably would have made a great dog for bear, but he is more of a pet now than anything. I take him out hunting with my two walkers but i make him stay pretty close. Not sure what the real difference in the Catahoula and the American leopard hound is. I believe the American Leopard hound is much more like your typical coon hound. I have read they "have the brain of a cur and the nose of a hound". the Catahoulas are actually in the herding category of dogs and are still mostly used for wild hogs and cattle.
My catahoula was the easiest dog from pup to adult I have ever had. Other than the fact he will jump any fence I try and keep him in, he has been great. The catahoulas make great pets and companions for the bush. I wouldnt hesitate to take him sheep hunting with me, my two walkers on the other hand are nuts, but great for hunting

mfarrally
06-13-2012, 04:15 PM
http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac270/mfarrally/319067_10100364690110471_58006275_57498204_1992953 261_n.jpg

horshur
06-13-2012, 06:02 PM
I don't think anyone here in Canada can really know where the Leopard Cur/hound originated however most of the leopard cur enthusiasts say they are not the same breed at all very different then a Catahoula.....a true leopard cur has a double coat is open on track..does not have webbed feet.

Richard McDuffy insists that Leopard curs originate from shepherd/collie type of dogs this is the foundation of the high tan and merle tendencies in the breed. There are many other breeds with merle coloration.

I have a little experience with leopard curs none with Catahoula.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/IMG_0541.jpg

vortex hunter
06-14-2012, 11:56 PM
Nice Looking Dog ... Really Nice Eye's

6.5x55mm
06-17-2012, 07:24 AM
I lucked out and got the male from Merritt and the female is papered out of washington. Both are red leopard colour phases.