PDA

View Full Version : my uncle's and mine griz season 2012 two bears down

Kitimat Killer
06-12-2012, 06:37 PM
hey guys

So i had and awesome season this year being on two hunts taking a bear my self and being with
my uncle on his first grizz kill it's was an awesome hunt so here i go with both stories

my season begain in early May doing some scouting but with no luck due to 4 feet of snow still on most roads in the valley by mid may it all started i finally dragged my self out on a saturday morning and off i go i get to my one spot that bears hang around walk down the road and see some griz shit on the road thinking to my self this looks fresh so i keep going and next thing i know im looking straight at him 60 yards away.

Well since this is the first grizz of the season and he looked small i decide to let him go and i turn around and head to a different area, on the quad putting up the road i turn onto 1 more road and i know this one spot that hold bears so i park the bike 200yds away and walk in sure anough theres a griz and a nice size take a second look and it was a sow with two cubs.
oh well take some pics and vid of her and off i go.

the next weekend im back at it this time my uncle joins me and where off so i told him he could shoot first if we see a bear becuase he has yet to pull the trigger on one,
we walk into a hony hole for grizz and sure anough theres tracks going in bigger then my size 9 boot it's the big boy weve been after for a few years.
Right on im thinking he's back and where going to get him well head all the way in and we missed him his tracks disapeir into thin air dont know how thats possable for a bear that size but it is. On the way back out i stop in the spot to see if the sow is still there and sure anough there she is so more pics and off we go.

The next weekend im back at it this time leaving the house at 4am thinking im going to beat the in the trail and get there before he does, Well i was wrong this time there was fresh tracks coming out of the trail and it was him i missed him again, thinking to my self what do i got to do to get this guy. Well i keep head in the trail and sit it out around 8am i was almost asleep with the hot sun on me when i see movement in the bush and sure theres a grizz making his way out feeding i loose sight of him in the bush so i get ready start rainging all spots thinking where he would come out and all was under 200 so i knew i was good and about 10 mins later out he comes i start looking the bear over and thinking well it's on the smaller side and then out comes the cub ok take more pics and sit it out and watch.

at about 10am i decide to head back to the bike and get something to eat so off i go the 20 min walk back to the bike in the hot sun was nice when i get back to the bike i unload the gun put it in the gun boot and start taking my jacket off when i hear some noise behined me i look and there is a blond griz staring at me 40yds away i reach for the gun through a shell in and the bear bolts with the sound of the gun loading and off he goes i quickly jump on a stump and i catch a glimps of him and he's gone, Great just my luck see a nice bear and he's 50 feet from the bike and the gun was empty.

well thats it's im heading to one more spot and check out a diffrent valley, well on the way there im putting on the bike and look to my right and theres a grizz in the clear cut i get off the bike and yup my luck sow and a cub well she did not stick around for me to get pics. great im thinking all i see are sows and cubs and the boars dont give me a chance.

after heading home talking with the wife i was a bit down thinking i blew my chance on a nice bear and she said lets go we will all go out so off we go my wife daughter witch is 1 1/2 pack everything in the truck and where gone as the night goes on nothing to show for grizlies but finding acouple of nice blackies and get to one point to glass a large area and sure shit theres a grizz across the valley i look at the wife she says to me unload the quad race over get that bear and i'll drive the truck and waight by the quad ok it's on.
well by the time i get all the way there and walk the 300yds in to where he was he was gone just the way my season is going.

the next morning comes and out the door at 4:30am off i go knowing that i had to be back to watch hailey that afternoon, back into the same spot the big guy was hanging out walk into the trail make it all the way in and spot a good bear ok it's on this time i got it im thinking, i sneek in and get to 180yds start looking the bear over and with my luck it was a monster sow with a cub great, im thinking with all these sows and cubs theres got to be boars around with the rut going to start soon, thatt was all i seen for the rest of the day.

the next weekend my uncle was off so we dicied to head down the channel and check the coast line for bear first thing in the morning we spot a sow with two cubs watched her for a bit and where off again we get to a nice set of flats start glassing and there is a big boar tucked away in a little corner we plan our stock well that did not work the bear was gone by the time we got there GREAT now im really starting to see how my season is going.

Well on May 31st it's all comes together my buddy at works asked me that thursday mornign hey i want to see what huntings like you mind if i tag along im thinking to my self sure why not
well 5pm comes and off we go get home grab the gear and off we go have way through the evening i spot a nice blackie and let him walk he thought it was cool and told him i could find goats on a hill side that have been there all spring well he really wanted to see that being he's never seen them in the wild so off we go.

Getting to the spot i lean the set back on the truck and start glassing and he decieds to take a piss about 5 min later he taps on the window and says i hear something in the clear cut ya right im thinking and he looks at me again i just heard it again ok well i better get out of the truck and see whats going on so i load the gun see a high stump 50yds up the road so i load the gun and off i go well as soon as i get on the stump i can hear a bear whoofing coming through the clear cut and its getting louder and closer so i point at him to stay by the truck next thing i know i can see little pine trees hitting the ground as the bear is swiping at them but can not see the bear at this point the hart is pumping not knowing if it's a griz or blacky we here he comes keeps getting closer and up he comes on a log 20 yards away he looks up at me starts pouncing his front legs on the log and whoofing at me im thinking ok it's game over he goes to take a step off the log and i let him have it i drove it through the front shoulder and found the bullet on the opiset side behind the last rib got to love barns tripple shocks out of a 375 h&h.

Wow finally got my bear not having a good look at the bear and how i hit him i told my buddy to stay by the truck and i'll head in to find him well he only maid it about 10 yards from where i shot him awesome i got my bear the bad part was he was rubbed a bit but at the moment i was not looking at the i was still pumped on how it happends and my buddy was jacked to see me get one.

nature girl
06-12-2012, 06:47 PM
That was a great story. Nothing like a little adrenaline going a few times.

Kitimat Killer
06-12-2012, 06:52 PM
So that night i phone my uncle and he was pumped that i got my bear
the next day after work finished all the fleshing and got him in the freezer, my uncle phones me at 10 pm and said im loading the boat and where heading down the channel first thing in the mornign ok it's on, i tell him i want to be on the water at 5am he says good to go, well im up and at it at 4am and waighting for him to show up and nothing next thing i know he phones me he's going to be late ok well time to have one more coffee and a smoke i can relax more.

he shows up at my place around 6am and off we go head down to the channel and launch the boat and off we go well slowly cruzing the shore lines i spot a monster blackie and told my uncle hey if you want a trophy black bear this is the one so we cruse in and get to 200 yards of the bear look im over and he's getting bigger the closer we get i told him if you shoot this one where done today he says ok im going to take him i grab the video camera and press record the shot goes off and shoots right over the bear i look up oh well you missed good now we can keep hunting lol.

Back at it in the boat and we start to head up a river over looking a big tidle flats and i told him it's an incoming tide so we should go to the left side of the river and glass from there,
we park the boat and i get out glassing every inch of area seeing nothing i told him i was going for a walk to look for tracks after about 10 mins i came back with nothing he looks up and points across the river and i put up the glasses and look theres a big boar walking the flats with the wind in our favore we row the boat across the river and start the stalk about 10 mins goes by we make it to our stump we wanted to be at i told my uncle that this is a big bear and take your time he has no idea where hear and have all the time in the world after about 15 mins goes by he finally gives my uncle a shot and he lets it fly a perfict shot and the bear runs off and we loose site of him in a gully after all the high fives we waight awhile and off we go the bear only made it about 50 yard and my uncle puts one more into him to make sure he's dead
well with in a couple of days we had to big boars down.

my bears squard out at 7 1/2 with a 24 inch scull and my uncles was
8 1/2 with a 25 3/4 scull

hope you guys like my story and BcBillies or TSW will post the pics for me

thanks guys

canucks6
06-12-2012, 06:53 PM
wow ur luck sounds just like mine. hard work and determination pays off, its the only thing that works for me.
congrats

SimilkameenSlayer
06-12-2012, 07:00 PM
CONGRATS - thanks for sharing that story, well written!

Rhyno
06-12-2012, 07:19 PM
Great Story, congrats to both of you! Where's the pictures! Sounds like you know where to find G-bears.

Kitimat Killer
06-12-2012, 08:05 PM
thanks guys the pictures are coming just had trouble down loading them for some reason i do know my area very well and spend a tun of time in the bush every weekend i was out and lots of days after work also i've hunted this valley my whole life so far and love spring bear and nothign gets the hart pumping like chacing big Grizzlies

kk

gbear
06-12-2012, 08:09 PM
Congrats! Great write up!

Rackmastr
06-12-2012, 08:16 PM
Man oh man....that sounds awesome!!!!!

Congrats on what sounds like two well earned bears!!

I've gotta draw my first LEH grizz tag next spring and hunt them big old buggers!!!

coach
06-12-2012, 08:33 PM
Outstanding story! Congratulations. Looking forward to the pics.

ElectricDyck
06-12-2012, 08:34 PM
Great story, sounds like a lot of good hunting, even got the wife and kid in on it a bit, congrats!

91Jason91
06-12-2012, 09:10 PM
great story man good job to the both of you
should post some pics up also

yama49
06-12-2012, 09:11 PM
Awsome story, look foward to pics...

Kitimat Killer
06-12-2012, 09:22 PM
here is my uncles grizz

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/uncles_bear.jpg (javascript:;)

and here is my grizz

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/my_grizz.jpg (javascript:;)

hope you guys like the pics finally got it figured out

kk

Kitimat Killer
06-12-2012, 09:24 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/second_griz.jpg (javascript:;)

Iltasyuko
06-12-2012, 09:26 PM
Great pics and good stories!

Good2bCanadian
06-12-2012, 09:26 PM
Awesome!

Nice bears

Fella
06-12-2012, 09:27 PM
Nice coloring on yours!

Hammerhead
06-12-2012, 09:30 PM
Great story and nice work finding the bears. Rugs? Mounts? Couple a dandies!!
HH

Kitimat Killer
06-12-2012, 09:33 PM
Great story and nice work finding the bears. Rugs? Mounts? Couple a dandies!!
HH

Thanks im not sure on what im going to do with mine i might do a 3/4 mount becuase it was rubbed really good and i still have to life size my first one and my uncle is going to life size his

kk

Rackmastr
06-12-2012, 10:16 PM
Hey quick question for ya. I've never hunted grizz (next year!) but am curious as both of the bears are rubbed quite a bit and your last bear you posted was rubbed from what I remember. Still awesome lookin bears, but my question is do you think the rubbing is due to the time they've been out, or do you see more rubbed bears in the area you're hunting vs other areas?

Awesome colours! Great bears! Looks like some sweet country!!!

TSW
06-12-2012, 10:51 PM
Hey KK, like I said, those are a couple great bears. I'm guessing your uncle's bear wasn't so easy to move eh? Looks like a tank. Thanks for taking the time to write it up and tell us about it. Glad you got the pics figured out--I just got home and signed on to post them for you! Persistence and hard work paid off for you guys!

BCbillies
06-12-2012, 11:31 PM
Congrats to you and your uncle on a couple of fine bears. Thanks for posting the story and pics. I first saw the pics from your cousin at soccer and needed to know more!

Rackmastr - the coastal bears typically rub earlier than interior bears and likely come out of the dens earlier. But come June many of the interior bears will be rubbed somewhat.

Rackmastr
06-13-2012, 12:13 AM
Congrats to you and your uncle on a couple of fine bears. Thanks for posting the story and pics. I first saw the pics from your cousin at soccer and needed to know more!

Rackmastr - the coastal bears typically rub earlier than interior bears and likely come out of the dens earlier. But come June many of the interior bears will be rubbed somewhat.

Thanks, appreciate that insight. I was starting to see more coastal bears rubbed more it seemed like.

Man seeing pictures of these only drives the desire to draw next spring.....man oh man this planning stuff is fun!

gerrygoat
06-13-2012, 06:42 AM
Congrats KK on your uncle's and your bears, great stories.

Elkaholic
06-13-2012, 07:28 AM
Thanks for sharing a great story and great pics! Way to slam those big bears!

moose2
06-13-2012, 08:03 AM
Great bears and a great story. Congratulations on a couple nice bears.
Mike

.330 Dakota
06-13-2012, 08:07 AM
Congrats on a couple of nice bears, was that griz shot in the Douglas Channel?

REMINGTON JIM
06-13-2012, 08:25 AM
Beauty Bears Guys ! Congrats on that pair ! :-D RJ

Kitimat Killer
06-13-2012, 08:47 AM
Congrats on a couple of nice bears, was that griz shot in the Douglas Channel?

Yup it was hunted the channel twice this season next season if we get draws again we will hunt more down there