PDA

View Full Version : Bear deboning

Gunpoint
06-12-2012, 04:53 PM
Does anyone know any good links to instructional videos online on how to debone a Bear, say if I wanted to do it in the field?

The Dawg
06-12-2012, 04:56 PM
Are you looking to just sausage and pepperoni type things? If so, just cut away and bag it. :)

No sense making it perfect if its just gonna be ground anyways.

boxhitch
06-12-2012, 05:07 PM
Cut the hide open
Cut the hide away from the meat
Cut the meat away from the bones
Repeat as required

Bowzone_Mikey
06-12-2012, 05:41 PM
Follow the muscle group lines ... like anything else you would de-bone at home

pg83
06-12-2012, 05:52 PM
If it's getting ground just cut and bag. It you're looking for roasts then do the same as you would for a deer/moose/elk.

Do a google search for a beef, pork, or even game chart and you will find all the cuts out there.

Marlin375
06-12-2012, 06:02 PM
Meat Bear (leaving the hide in the woods, no gutting) I put the bear belly down and split the hide from head to tail.
Skin the shoulders and remove the meat in large pieces, skin as you go to keep things clean, remove the back straps, I leave the hams bone in to save time.
Canvas game bags work good on a quad. My plan for this year (when I eventually get my bear :roll:) is I have a box of big ziplocks and a cooler with a block of ice in my truck, fill the bags and put them in the cooler, if I do it clean, minimal rinsing at home and into the freezer......that's the plan anyhow.
There is no secret to boning out a bear, but the cleaner you can do it the easier it is in the end. Like the Dawg says its going to ground anyhooo.

swampthing
06-12-2012, 07:15 PM
Dont overthink this process. I looked around for info on it and didnt find much. I started doing it and get better each time I do it. The next thing you know you are cut and wrapping all your own meat. I lay the animal on its side. Peel the hide back and start with the front shoulder, backstraps and then the hindquarter. I lay the meat on the hide as I remove it. Remember to leave a peice of hide and sex attached to a peice of the hind quarter. I mark the game bag it goes into and put that peice on the top of the meat in that bag.I do a deer sized animal in just under an hour. Give yourself a couple hours to do a moose by yourself. Use string to help hold legs and such up in the air to help cutting. Dive in and do it. Sharpen your knife often. Be careful.