PDA

View Full Version : What fly's for Kamloops

r106
06-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Thought I would try my hand at getting into fly fishing I got the necessities but I have no idea what fly's to try on lakes like duffy and dairy for this time of year ( and other ) What are you guy's using? Trolling or casting?

I should add, I know sweet F-all about fly fishing. but we all got to start somewhere

coach
06-12-2012, 01:10 PM
Pick up a copy of "The Gilly". It's a great book on most of the flies used in the Kamloops area. An easy read and very educational.

swampdonkey
06-12-2012, 01:25 PM
Also check out a book called kamloops

lovemywinchester
06-12-2012, 01:46 PM
Go into the Kamloops fly shop, beside Canadian Tire off the highway. Plunk down $1000 and say "set me up". If you are getting into fly fishing you will easily spend that much in the near future. May as well get it out of the way all at once and be set up. Make that $1400 and go for a guided lake trip to learn the ropes. Great fishing around here for sure.

BigfishCanada
06-12-2012, 02:10 PM
R106, are you going to be trolling? If yes then its easy, Fly rod, Sinking with a tempered line, green wolly buggers, or pumpkin heads. Troll slow, if no bites troll fast, if no bites change color of fly. Thats it?

Best colors for me are 1)green, 2)brown, 3)black

Thanks for the help winchester, stick with killing rodents lol.

Go into the Kamloops fly shop, beside Canadian Tire off the highway. Plunk down $1000 and say "set me up". If you are getting into fly fishing you will easily spend that much in the near future. May as well get it out of the way all at once and be set up. Make that $1400 and go for a guided lake trip to learn the ropes. Great fishing around here for sure.

r106
06-12-2012, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the tips guy's. I will be trolling and casting. My buddy has a boat and trolls with a fly rod and has been successful but i'll be there for a day or 2 before he gets there and thinking of just casting from shore. Something to pass the time.

RENO
06-12-2012, 05:33 PM
Thought I would try my hand at getting into fly fishing I got the necessities but I have no idea what fly's to try on lakes like duffy and dairy for this time of year ( and other ) What are you guy's using? Trolling or casting?

I should add, I know sweet F-all about fly fishing. but we all got to start somewhere

I did the same a few years ago as well and I love it, should have gotten into it years ago, very relaxing and peaceful. I mainly fish for trout in streams and troll the lakes with a sink tip. two years ago we fished the logan lake area, and did very well the fly that worked very well late August was the royal coachman it's an old fly but worked the best despite all the flies they suggested at the resort we were at. Mine is a 2 piece rod and I love it , some prefer multi sectional rods ? I watch the insect in the particular water you are fishing and try to match it up, or make one.

http://www.beginnersflyfishing.com/fly-fishing-flies.php
http://hipwader.com/flyfishing/oreillys-fly-tying/tying-fly-patterns/
http://hipwader.com/flyfishing/oreillys-fly-tying/tying-fly-patterns/

kishman
06-12-2012, 08:46 PM
For trolling, try out (on a sinking line) Leeches, Wooly Buggers, Carey Specials. For casting from a Boat on a sinking Line, try casting near the Cattails and Lilly-pads with a green Damselfly Nymph(segmented tail is best). This time of year that should kill 'em.......if not;-) try out a Pheasant Tail Nymph or maybe a Hare's Ear Nymph. If they don't work go back to the fire and get into the Booze. Good Luck!!

SHAKER
06-13-2012, 09:36 PM
Learn how to fish Chronimids and you'll be able to catch fish just about anywhere. I'm not a huge fan of the delicate art but it does pass the time.

boxhitch
06-13-2012, 11:11 PM
These will cover most needs. In various sizes and colours, at least red and black
Chronimids, Tom Thumb, Doc Spratleys , 52 Buick, Full backs, Idaho Nymph, shrimp
Spratleys are versatile, they can be trimmed to match whatever.

ncurrie
06-14-2012, 06:47 AM
These will cover most needs. In various sizes and colours, at least red and black
Chronimids, Tom Thumb, Doc Spratleys , 52 Buick, Full backs, Idaho Nymph, shrimp

X2. But right now the chronimids are doing very well at those lakes. So are leeches, and when in doubt a trusty red or green shrimp and troll around the shores! Good luck and have fun!

yamadirt 426
06-14-2012, 07:09 AM
Bead head micro leech in black green char truce. That's all you need. Will work in any lake

Glenny
06-14-2012, 07:31 AM
Not just what flies? but how to present them.

coach
06-14-2012, 07:56 AM

Exactly right. Get some in black, red, green and, my personal favorite, blue with gold ribbing. Like I said before, the "Gilly" is a must read. Pick up a copy and you'll never be skunked again.

boxhitch
06-14-2012, 06:29 PM
Also , iirc, either BC Outdoors or Outdoor Edge had an article titled ' the only 8 flies you need for Kamloops trout' or? similar. Penned by Shaw or Chan ??
The basics were also covered in the local fly tying course through Continuing Ed.

BradB
06-14-2012, 10:11 PM
Might be too many options for somebody starting out, but it'll give you a good idea.

http://flyguys.net/blog/photo-gallery/fish-food