PDA

View Full Version : Flying to Edmonton w/ Rifle

CraigOC
06-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Hey guys/gals

Wondering if any of you had flown within the country and brought your rifle as your checked piece of baggage. I'm flying to Edmonton in July and wanted to bring my Marlin with me to do some shooting with a friend, I looked on WestJets website and everything seems fine with bringing it but I wanted to know if any of you have done it and what the expierence was. I am mostly concerned about bringing a rifle into the airport(seems so weird even though I know its legal) and them possibly misplacing it. Is there an insurance policy I can take out on it? Thanks for the advice.

IronNoggin
06-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Done just that, quite a few times.
Yes there is additional insurance you can get (Do It!!).
Locked case & trigger lock obviously - choose one with LOTS of padding!
Sign Declaration there is no ammo in with the rifle.
In most cases they attached a large RED sign to the case reading: FIREARM (ummmm... yeah, no doubt!).

Had issues a few times (Air Canada) in that the case had obviously been booted around a little more than standard luggage might see (zero was out - takes a damn GOOD Boot! :evil:). Never had any issues with West Jet.

Enjoy your trip!

Cheers,
Nog

CraigOC
06-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Done just that, quite a few times.
Yes there is additional insurance you can get (Do It!!).
Locked case & trigger lock obviously - choose one with LOTS of padding!
Sign Declaration there is no ammo in with the rifle.
In most cases they attached a large RED sign to the case reading: FIREARM (ummmm... yeah, no doubt!).

Had issues a few times (Air Canada) in that the case had obviously been booted around a little more than standard luggage might see (zero was out - takes a damn GOOD Boot! :evil:). Never had any issues with West Jet.

Enjoy your trip!

Cheers,
Nog

Much appreciated advice, who did you get the insurance through? Also do you get/sign the declaration at the airport? Thank you!

ElliotMoose
06-12-2012, 01:14 PM
Just flew from Calgary to Vancouver with Air Canada bearing a firearm. To avoid a hassle, make sure it is in a locked case WITHOUT ammunition in it, and even a trigger lock to be safe. They get you to sign a declaration there. I wouldn't bring out any ammo as it just creates more confusion. Just buy your ammo out there, and shoot what ya buy! Also they may ask for your PAL at the airport

bighornbob
06-12-2012, 01:16 PM
I beleive Air Canada charges $100 each way for the firearm. So fly westjet.

BHB

ElliotMoose
06-12-2012, 02:05 PM
Ya 50 bucks a way for firearm, plus 20 if you are already checking a bag (extra baggage cost)

oldtimer
06-12-2012, 03:14 PM
I work security at Quesnel airport and we have a ton of hunters fly through here. Here is what you must do: If your rifle is Bolt action remove the bolt and leave it in the case, you can take ammo but it must be in a seperate piece of luggage ( NOT CARRY ON ) that must be marked " ammunition " The air carrier must provide you with a signed declaration that they allow the said rifle and ammunition to be on board. Trigger Lock is not necessary but a good idea. Locked case is a must.. Good Hunting...Mike

scott h
06-12-2012, 04:06 PM
I've flown many times with firearms. Air Canada now charges $50 each way and West Jet is free. Just have a locked, padded case and don't put ammo in the same case as the rifle . It goes very easily and nobody looks twice at you . Enjoy your gopher hunt !!!

Everett
06-12-2012, 04:45 PM
I do it several times a year. Don't fly air canada is my advice otherwise locked hard case trigger lock all ammo in a seperate piece of luggage declare it when checking in.