PDA

View Full Version : Hunting near calgary

rides bike to work
06-12-2012, 10:15 AM
My brother inlaw has lived in alberta for 2 years now working no the rigs and resides in Calgary. He has his hunting license but hasn't hunted because of work. I am planning a trip to visit uncle Kyle and would like to make it a visit slash hunting trip so I was wondering how do I go about hunting near Calgary with my resident brother inlaw and where near Calgary is there to hunt and when is a good time to go any info will be much appreciated thanks.

Island Redneck
06-12-2012, 10:41 AM
My brother inlaw has lived in alberta for 2 years now working no the rigs and resides in Calgary. He has his hunting license but hasn't hunted because of work. I am planning a trip to visit uncle Kyle and would like to make it a visit slash hunting trip so I was wondering how do I go about hunting near Calgary with my resident brother inlaw and where near Calgary is there to hunt and when is a good time to go any info will be much appreciated thanks.
http://www.albertaregulations.ca/huntingregs/

anglo-saxon
06-12-2012, 11:34 AM
http://www.albertaregulations.ca/huntingregs/

Which states:

Hunter Host - an adult resident who is the holder of a valid Hunter Host Licence. To obtain this licence, the adult must hold a valid WiN and be eligible to hold recreational hunting licences. A Hunter Host may not provide services for gain or reward, or accept a fee for services, directly or indirectly.
The licence authorizes the holder (usually a relative or friend of the hunters to be hosted) to host a maximum of two non-residents (Canadian) or non-resident aliens* named on the host's licence to hunt wolf, coyote and big game throughout the province.
* Non-resident alien hunters are referred to "Outfitting and Guiding Requirements" for additional conditions and restrictions.

Very easy, really!

Bowzone_Mikey
06-12-2012, 11:52 AM
anywhere around Calgary is pretty much private land .... for the most part GOS doesnt open untill November (Bow season opens just after labour day) Imediate area is Bow only zone ... ... However if you wanna travel .. sw near Beaver mines there is some crown land that I have hunted ... Nw up the Ghost forest reserve is some crown land ... up near sundre ..Water Valley.. etc you can take the Forest trunk road actually from Cadomine to Cochrane ...Hwy 16 to hwy 1A just northwest of Calgary .... I spent alot of time up Mountain Aire lodge way as well as Burnt timber and Hunter Valley road areas ...Most success I had on HVR was past 4th and 5th bridges

ElliotMoose
06-12-2012, 12:01 PM
Are you meaning places to hunt near Calgary in Alberta, or in BC within driving distance of Calgary..? I live here (cgy) every may to october and have found several places just on the BC side of the border. Never hunted on the Alberta side, so if that's what youre talking about refer to an above post

Archer
06-12-2012, 09:26 PM
Well, Bowzone Mikey just summed up what I would have said.... Private land around Calgary, but plenty of country with decent game numbers within a couple of hours. If your BIL can obtain permission on some decent land around Calgary, that will be your best bet IMO. Tell him to start knocking on doors, lol.