PDA

View Full Version : Archery bear for THE BEAST!

willyqbc
06-11-2012, 09:28 PM
Well about 2 weeks ago The Beast and I were going to head up to some of the higher elevation blocks in a favourite area to see if I couldn't connect on a bear with my bow. As many of you know we barely got off the highway before we found a nice bear along some railway tracks and I was lucky enough to get him. So we decide to revisit that plan today with The Beast on the stick with his hunting bow all tuned up and ready to go. So off we go back to the same area we were headed for 2 weeks ago.....joking on the way that we would just find another bear on the tracks and be done early again. Well we turn off the higway and head up, as we approach the tracks i hear The Beast say, "you gotta be kidding me!!" Sure enough there's another bear standing in the exact spot where I arrowed mine.....I'm not sure whats growing on that 10 square feet of turf, but they sure seem to like it!! I give the bear a quick look and tell The Beast "he's a basic average bear.....little over 5 feet"......"any bear with a bow is a trophy!" is his response. "Okey dokey, your tag....your call" i say. So with that decided we start the stalk. Seeing as the bear was in the same spot as mine and the wind was the same we just did a replay of my stalk....Why not, worked the first time!!:mrgreen: We close the distance to about 60 yards before we get busted and he scampers off into the bush. "give a predator call" I whisper and we hunker down and The Beast lets loose, wailing like a cut cat. About 90 seconds later, out he comes about 100 yards up from where he went in and walks right up onto the tracks. Well we're pinned down so all we can do is wait for him to make the first move. Over the course of about 20 minutes he cautiously moves in our direction a few steps at a time, pausing to scent the air frequently. He closes the distance to about 50 yards then just turns around and saunters back the way he came and drops off the side of the tracks and begins feeding. Woohoo...stalk back on!!! So The Beast moves up until we figure we're parralel to the bear and pops up for a quick range finder reading......33 yds, quartering away. I slide in behind him for the over the shoulder camera shot and seeing as his hunting limit is 30 yards he slides forward 3 steps as he draws his bow. The bear is blissfully unaware as he send a 100 grain magnus stinger on its way. I watched the fletches dissapear a little above center, tight to the shoulder.....perfect for the steep downhill shot. Took some looking in the jungle he ran into but in the end we found him and I had one happy camper on my hands!!!!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/michael_bow_bear_2012_edit.JPG (javascript:;)

Bow - Hoyt Magnatec 46#'s
Goldtip 5575 with 2 blade 100 grain Magnus stingers
300 grain total weight @ 240fps
Complete pass through breaking a rib on the way out!

Chris

Slinky Pickle
06-11-2012, 09:37 PM
Good work! What a team!

pg83
06-11-2012, 09:37 PM
awesome job to you both! Thanks for the pic and story.

Bowzone_Mikey
06-11-2012, 09:38 PM
Woot!!!!!!!!!

Its the damn Shoes I tell ya ....

Marc
06-11-2012, 09:41 PM
Good Going Michael! Dad needs to let you tell your own stories from now on.:mrgreen:

Ambush
06-11-2012, 10:14 PM
Two for two!! Good job and congrats, men.

Are you going to taxi it for him?

BlacktailStalker
06-11-2012, 10:24 PM
Nicely done Michael !

Bowzone_Mikey
06-11-2012, 10:45 PM
Bow - Hoyt Magnatec 46#'s
Goldtip 5575 with 2 blade 100 grain Magnus stingers
300 grain total weight @ 240fps
Complete pass through breaking a rib on the way out!

Chris

Proof that you dont need super speed nor a heavy arrow to harvest a Beauty animal
A bear hide is tougher than moose or elk hide ... Proof that Placement and a sharp head is The most important aspects when it comes to bow hunting

Thanks for putting up the particulars Chris ....

willyqbc
06-12-2012, 05:25 AM
Are you going to taxi it for him? http://static.app.widdit.com/images/features/searchwiddit.png (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/#)
Nah, hes gotta a bunch of skulls kicking around allready and is willing to wait for something special to get a rug done....he will however be enjoying pepperonis all year!

Proof that Placement and a sharp head is The most important aspects

Yes, been very impressed with those 2 blade magnus heads, he's taken two bears with them in a really light set-up and got pass through both times from 30 yards. The deer he shot didn't get complete pass through but he caught the shoulder blade so thats to be expected!

Dad needs to let you tell your own stories from now on
Yeah, that would go well............." ummm, yeah, so we went out and i shot a bear........OH! it was by some railway tracks"
His hunting skills are coming along nicely......his creative writing skills.....not so much!!!:mrgreen:

Chris

nolimits
06-12-2012, 08:29 AM
Well done guys, congrats.

rocksteady
06-12-2012, 08:41 AM
[QUOTE=willyqbc;1162152].."any bear with a bow is a trophy!" is his response.

LIke his attitude... Its not always about the size of the critter that makes the biggest trophy....

Congrats young fella

THE BEAST
06-17-2012, 10:02 AM
thanmks for the great coments and i think that dad is right my creative wrighting skill arent very good

neithers my spelling

THE BEAST michael

Jagermeister
06-17-2012, 10:19 AM
Nicely done Michael...........and Dad. Geez Chris, that kid has come a long way up since the last time I saw him. That was at WSS not that long ago. Must be genetics.

moose2
06-19-2012, 08:55 PM
Great archery bear congrats on getting one the hard way.
Mike

kennyj
06-23-2012, 08:41 AM
Congratulations on a great bear. Way to know your comfortable shooting range and sticking with it.
kenny

Mik
06-23-2012, 08:51 AM
Well Done...Congrats.