PDA

View Full Version : ? on Stikine, pitman, spatsizi and Chukachida

yugo111
06-11-2012, 09:22 PM
so Im planing a moose and cariboo trip for this fall Im thinking up Stikine by pitman or spatsizi or all way up to Chukachida I have never been up there can anyone give me any pointers as for fuel amount that I might needor which place would be better? do you guys know how many km it is from the boat launch? and which one of these 3 would be a better fit. I will be very gratefull for any help and will repay the help one way or another in the future

killalot
01-14-2013, 11:10 PM
If you still wanna go I'm organising a trip to the stikine ... I just need some passengers

ryanb
01-15-2013, 07:23 AM
What's the priority, moose or caribou? If its caribou, it would be a real tough hunt off the river unless you get really lucky and catch one crossing.

killalot
01-15-2013, 05:15 PM
moose for sure ... I talked to a guy in town he said he did a fly in trip to cold fish lake ... he was also saying that sheep/ rams are open too and a decent chance of catching one by the river ... as they come down the draws for water ... who knows may be worth buying a tag for ... there is a video of the stikine on here somewhere ... somebody had baged a caribou by the river ... how oftenthey come by is really unknown ...

ryanb
01-15-2013, 06:08 PM
You realize that moose, sheep, and caribou are Leh for a lot of that country?

killalot
01-15-2013, 09:59 PM
No I did not realize that ... I had only been looking at moose and hadnt looked too close into any other species ... either way whats another 5 $ ?. Now that you say that maybe it would be worth putting in for.:-D

Caribou_lou
01-15-2013, 10:07 PM
LEH for moose and caribou in these area are fairly easy to draw. They even offer a combo LEH draw for Moose and Caribou.

vip_ruger
01-15-2013, 11:36 PM
Kill a lot u have a lot more research to do before trying to do a trip into the remote with a boat and gear to be trying to be a packer and charge money for a trip like that

killalot
01-17-2013, 12:15 AM
V I P Ruger I'm not charging money for anything Its a shared Expenses trip ...anyone who is willing to split the cost of going is welcome to come . I have not set a date for the trip because there are a lot of unknowns ... and would justify why I'm on here talking to people. Mostly the information can be hard to come by , and becuase I had just bought the boat last year I will be taking it out as soon as possible to test for weight , handeling of the boat , fuel consumption and most of all .... practice and having fun. I trying to talk to everyone and research all I can . I'm mostly concerned on my boats fuel consumption being a 460 carberated engine. Most likly I will not be going this year because by the time I figure out all the variables and find people that want to go it will be too late for the draw .( besides I have somewhere else picked out anyways) so it will have to be the next year. thats ok . I'm going to treat my boat as an investment so there will be lots of years to come. I'm mostly looking for information on my boat, information on the Stikine river and individuals that show interest in going and would like to split the cost of going on a trip to the Stikine.

Kill A Lot

Caribou_lou
01-17-2013, 02:16 AM
Ive heard it can be a tricky river to navigate at low water. My father and uncle have been up it many times.

killalot
01-17-2013, 11:35 PM
Caribou Lou ...
when you say ''tricky''river what river are you refering to ? The Stikine , pitman , spatsizi or chuckachida ? I plan on bringing a 12' inflatable type boat or something of the likes for skinny water, local trasportation .

Thanks Killalot

Caribou_lou
01-18-2013, 12:21 AM
I believe many parts at low water. Jewel rapids. But this is just from what I have heard second hand.

shooter300
01-18-2013, 01:28 PM
Nice area! I can tell you that it can be quite busy in the 2nd half of Sept. on the Pitman and water levels will dictate as to how far up you can go depending on boat size, of corse. As far as caribou not my choice but you never know! Know your boat and it's capabilities ie; fuel, and handling as it can be tricky when water levels change. Not to discourage a trip to the Stikine and Pitman rivers, but have an alternate plan in place. There are moose there alright, but with heavy pressure they thin out pretty quick. The adventure is worth it.

yugo111
01-27-2013, 06:29 PM
well in 2012 was my first trip up stakine/chukachida great trip def a long way up there, missed a boo and got 4 moose great trip was up there for 2 weeks hunting and exploring def will try and go again, the river can be tricky at a few places, pack light and bring extra fuel lol