PDA

View Full Version : Is it to late to score my bear :(

300wsmXboltKiller
06-11-2012, 04:01 PM
hi guys gals

some of u may have seen my recent euro on black bear well it was of my fall bear that squared 6 foot 4.

After doing that i remembered i had gotten a spring bear aswell that i left the hide on and put it in garbage bag i decided to check it out since im going euro crazy hahahah well took it out garbage bag with plenty of maggots still feeding they had everything pretty clean so i decided to boil it and began bleaching process . now that im placing it beside my bear that squared 6 4 my spring bear skull is making it look puny like a child and it wasnt much more than a five foot bear with big pumpkin so i decide to measure it im gettin 19 and quarter inch book worthy but did i mess up ?

6 4 bear
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG-20111013-00009_207x381_.jpg

prob 5 foot 6 maybe
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/ipod_294_480x640_.jpg

skullz
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/178957_10150895072683311_1630448223_n.jpg

untilthelastbeat
06-11-2012, 04:08 PM
neither of those look like a 19+ skull to me. how did you measure it?

300wsmXboltKiller
06-11-2012, 04:14 PM
neither of those look like a 19+ skull to me. how did you measure it?

measured it top of skull only parrelel points base to tip of nose 12 1/4 width 7 inches i dunno im not great at math but that adds up lol

Gateholio
06-11-2012, 04:17 PM
You can score a bear skull at any time after the drying period, which I think is 60 days.

300wsmXboltKiller
06-11-2012, 04:22 PM
You can score a bear skull at any time after the drying period, which I think is 60 days.

so you saying drying time is from time of kill or time of been cleaned and sun dried air dried kept in cool wet place who judges drying time and who score in PG ?

Caribou_lou
06-11-2012, 05:07 PM
Is the skull on the right from a sow? Remember to take you r measurements with a caliper to be accurate.

Gateholio
06-11-2012, 05:31 PM
so you saying drying time is from time of kill or time of been cleaned and sun dried air dried kept in cool wet place who judges drying time and who score in PG ?

Probably the date of your tag. Most taxidermists know how to score a bear skull. If you want to enter it into the BC book you will need to find someone who is an official BC book scorer. Probably find that on the BC book website.

300wsmXboltKiller
06-11-2012, 05:31 PM
Is the skull on the right from a sow? Remember to take you r measurements with a caliper to be accurate.

the skull on the right is from 6 4 bear unless my taxi buddy switched skulls on me hahahaha the skull on left is from my spring meat bear he had a pumpkin on him i tell u

scuba
06-11-2012, 07:08 PM
bring it over, ive scored a couple critters accurately

bighornbob
06-11-2012, 07:15 PM
Its 60 days from either the freezing or the boiling, whichever was done last. Basically its 60 days of air drying.

BHB

NaStY
06-11-2012, 08:00 PM
Its never too late to have it done.

300wsmXboltKiller
06-12-2012, 06:17 PM
bring it over, ive scored a couple critters accurately

hey thnx let me get teeth secured and ill bring it by
this week ?

i hate losing teeth hahahaha

Bowzone_Mikey
06-12-2012, 06:42 PM
From Pope and Young ... B&C is the same process

Drying” Period – Once an animal has been harvested and tagged/registered/processed, the antlers/horns/skull needs to go through a mandatory drying period of at least 60 days. Before the drying period begins, it would be appropriate to completely clean the skull plate (for antlered and horned animals). In the case of bear and cougar skulls, the drying period can not begin until the skull has been completely cleaned of all flesh and membrane (either via boiling or a bug box). During this drying period, the antlers/horns/skull must remain at room temperature and normal atmospheric humidity, in an unaltered state.
Once the drying period has elapsed, the successful hunter would get in contact with one of the Club’s volunteer official measurers to make arrangements to have the antlers/horns/skull scored. The Club has a corp of trained volunteer official measurers around North America who generously provide the public service of measuring these animals for entry into the Records. A list of official measurers in each state or province is available upon request from the Club’s headquarters, or can be found in the “Find a Measurer” portion of this web site.
If it meets the entry requirements, then the bowhunter (typically with the assistance of the measurer) completes and submits the necessary paperwork to the Club.
Once the Club’s office accepts the entry into the Records and processes it, then the final score becomes “official” (until that takes place, technically, any animal would have a official score of zero).
Once the entry is processed, the bowhunter will receive, among other things, a certificate suitable for framing that signifies the animal has been accepted into the Records. The entry is then listed in the next published record book and will remain in the Records Program archives for all time.

scuba
06-12-2012, 07:53 PM
im around evenings until friday

91Jason91
06-12-2012, 09:13 PM
the skulls