PDA

View Full Version : Tumbler Ridge Elk Question

.330 Dakota
06-09-2012, 10:41 AM
Hey Guys, I know I posted something along this line a few months ago but, I recently travelled to Tumbler and did a mini scout, so I have more questions.
1) Is the best area down the Wapiti River area for elk?
2) Are there lots of 6 pointers in the area.
3) Is it really crowded in there in the 1st 2weeks of the season?
Thanks Guys

.330 Dakota
06-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Anybody?................

moosinaround
06-09-2012, 12:37 PM
Hey Guys, I know I posted something along this line a few months ago but, I recently travelled to Tumbler and did a mini scout, so I have more questions.
1) Is the best area down the Wapiti River area for elk?
2) Are there lots of 6 pointers in the area.
3) Is it really crowded in there in the 1st 2weeks of the season?
Thanks Guys
1) Wapiti means "white ghost which elk are, so ya it is a good area for elk
2) last time I was in there there was lots of elk sign, so there must be a pretty good population of elk to breed, which means a pretty good mature bull ratio.
3)Yes it is busy, elk, and moose hunters, oil and gas, tourists.
It is beautiful country to spend time in, so go and give it a try! There are worst places to spend 10 days in, thats for sure!!

Good hunting, Moosin

Moose Guide
06-09-2012, 04:02 PM
Some friends of mine hunted the Murray river several years ago, they said their was a good population of elk in there!

BCrams
06-09-2012, 04:20 PM
One of the biggest 'Peace' elk I saw was on the Red Deer River.

BCHoyt
06-09-2012, 07:30 PM
Watch out for a bunch of crazy roofers from the island up there.. Our company has a crew of guys working in tumbler ridge on the coal mine.

.330 Dakota
06-10-2012, 08:52 AM
Thanks Guys, Just needed a little reassurance that it was a decent spot. I know we looked at Toad River as well but the access there was non existant without horses, so we went on to look at Tumbler. Did a 7 day scout starting with a bear hunt in Meziadin and ending in Tumbler,,,kind of a walkabout so to speak.