PDA

View Full Version : Finally the cat is outta the bag...cougar down

bc_buckshot
06-08-2012, 11:22 PM
Waited 2 days now to write this but waited until it was official after the compulsory report.

It started Wednesday, pouring rain, and wanted to go hunting for my first bear of the season. My uncle and I decided to use the truck and hounds instead of getting soaked out in the bush. After an hour and a half the dogs were barking seriously and decided to the let them loose. After 30 mins they went hard in the thick and ran down the hill right next to a tree and screamed. Come up to it and looked up and saw a nice black bear but came to think he was a bit to small for the taken. I beleive he was in the 3 year old range and because he pissed him self up the tree I decided to pass.
We finally got the dogs loaded and drove another hour-ish down the road and this time the hounds went bonkers in the box. To the point we thought they were getting shot. We let the first three go and by the time we got the tail gate down they bolted. Then straight into the thick right beside the truck and gone they were. Five minutes later we let the last two go and they bolted. We both looked on the tracking screen and heard them cry scream and howl like a hound not 100 yards away. I got my rifle and pack ready and we both followed their trial thinking another bear, or maybe a raccoon, but to my suprise this thing had a tail. It didnt chomp like a bear, it hissed like a cat. I nearly sh*t myself seeing my first cougar. This point my uncle was laughing at me saying, "what never seen a bush p*ssy before. I was shaking like a leaf every time the cat hissed down at the dogs. Long story short, my uncle got me set up to take the shot, he got the dogs set to the tree and I took it. Not only was i shaking like a first time buck shooter, the cat decided to turn it's self and I shot it in the neck. Fell outta the tree and down it went. Happend so fast I went up to it quickly and there my uncle grabbed the back of my shirt and threw me back. Being my first cat and not the greatest shot the thing was down, but still breathing. My uncle saying, unless you want to be a victim, just wait a second and I will look. The cat was still down and said to me you made a poor shot to here, slowly walk down and take a shot in the head, I have to to put it out. So I did and thats the end of it.

Now you old timers would like this... After a couple hugs and high fives it was time to bring the cat to the truck. This time I was admiring my first cat when I notice my uncle start walking to the back to the truck. I asked him while he was walking away," arn't you going to help me carry this thing back. He said, I'm going to have a coffee and smoke at the truck, you shot it, its your cat, you bring it to the truck. So pack the cat on my back and hauled it ass to the truck, Every step my grin was getting bigger and bigger being my first cat ever.

So today took it to Frank Gilbert at Fur and Feathers to get it's Compulsory Report.I walked into the store and there I dropped the cougar in the bag and admire all the work that is displayed. That guys does some work. I would say some of the best work in bed. The details on the animals, from the hide, to even the veins on the animals body is I say best work I've seen. So back to the cat, did all the paper work and here comes the measurement

Female Cougar approx 3 years
Length is 7.5 feet
Skull: 7 3/8x5 1/8
Not a monster but great time, and great first cougar.

Do have pics, need help with loading them on here. Can send picture if you can load.

The Dude
06-08-2012, 11:47 PM
That guys does some work. I would say some of the best work in bed. .......I do have pics, need help with loading them on here. Can send picture if you can load.

Send me pics of the cat.........you can keep the ones of Frank in bed though. :D

vortex hunter
06-08-2012, 11:51 PM
thats very cool I am hoping to soon get my first P#ssy Cat ....

nolimits
06-08-2012, 11:54 PM
thats very cool I am hoping to soon get my first P#ssy Cat ....

Is this what this thread is all about?? Getting first p#ssy cat? Fine, maybe I can learn something new here.

vortex hunter
06-08-2012, 11:56 PM
Is this what this thread is all about?? Getting first p#ssy cat? Fine, maybe I can learn something new here.

Better then that is Letting the dogs Work for you

hunter1947
06-09-2012, 05:02 AM
Congrats to you getting the cat story was great ,now looking forward to seeing your pictures

Spokerider
06-09-2012, 07:57 PM
Congrats on your first lion.

Being that is was a female, young, healthy breeding stock, perhaps and almost certainly with kittens, you will let the next treed female go, to raise her young and live to run and tree again. Please remember that just because you can't see any kittens, she may still have one or more, "stashed" in an area for safe keeping while she is foraging. Now, I ain't telling you what to do, but rather hopefully showing you a perspective of lion hunting that you may have overlooked.

It sounds like your Uncle has been under more than one lion tree with his hounds. Does he typically kill all the lions that he trees, male or female?

91Jason91
06-09-2012, 08:24 PM
picssssssssssssssssss

The Dude
06-09-2012, 09:48 PM
Well this is odd, I rotated it, and it keeps coming up sideways........can't fix it....anyway, you get the idea.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj313/Heliox18/Forum%20Ammo/CatHBC.jpg

The Dude
06-09-2012, 09:50 PM

Being that is was a female, young, healthy breeding stock, perhaps and almost certainly with kittens, you will let the next treed female go, to raise her young and live to run and tree again. Please remember that just because you can't see any kittens, she may still have one or more, "stashed" in an area for safe keeping while she is foraging. Now, I ain't telling you what to do, but rather hopefully showing you a perspective of lion hunting that you may have overlooked.

It sounds like your Uncle has been under more than one lion tree with his hounds. Does he typically kill all the lions that he trees, male or female?

Looks like a good cat to me........it's DEAD!

nolimits
06-09-2012, 09:56 PM
Is this your own bitch?

She looks good in your arms/

The Dude
06-09-2012, 10:15 PM
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj313/Heliox18/Forum%20Ammo/Cat2HBC.jpg

nolimits
06-09-2012, 10:21 PM
As a matter of fact she is dead. She looks good this way. Congrats.

The Dawg
06-09-2012, 10:30 PM
Better then that is Letting the dogs Work for you

You want the Dawg to help you get some pu$$y? Sounds good :)

The Dawg
06-09-2012, 10:34 PM

Its dead. It passed inspection. Its legal

Nice cat!

http://rlv.zcache.com/go_play_in_traffic_mug-p168931708771984767z89we_400.jpg

hunter1947
06-10-2012, 03:07 AM
Thanks for sharing your picture of the cat you got ,one less cat out there that won't be feeding on any deer..

huntcoop
06-10-2012, 07:37 AM
Very nice, a good cat is a dead cat.

r106
06-10-2012, 01:14 PM
Holly crap. What a gong show. Sorry about the douche bag comment and I didn't call him that directly. I said IF the cat didn't have a kittens then Spokerider was acting like a douche bag. Besides it is total speculation that she did.

So at the end of the day the OP shot a legal cat in a legal way and good for him. For some one to jump to conclusions about a legal hunt and kill that he had no part of is just plain stupid. If he had a concern about it he can address him in a private message instead of accusing him on a public forum. Maybe start a thread about cougar hunting ethics?

Again to the original poster great job on your first cat

Gateholio
06-10-2012, 03:01 PM
Those that wish to have a discussion about ethics/legality in regards to cougar hunting are encouraged to start their own thread. Please do not continue on this thread. Those that ignore this will be given a time out. Thanks.

riflebuilder
06-10-2012, 05:59 PM
Congrats on your first cat I have gone out many times and have not yet been able to take one. So again way to go.

bc_buckshot
06-10-2012, 07:43 PM
Thanks guys for your congrats. I still have a grin on my face.And to the bitter ones here I still love you too

Spokerider
06-11-2012, 11:14 AM
Hey, we're all hunters here, even if we do have a difference of opinon as we are of course entitled to.......so of course no hard feelings.
Nothing quite like the excitement of having a lion up with the hounds doing what they love to do.

rides bike to work
06-11-2012, 11:24 AM
Is inspection compusary on cats and if so what are they looking at and how would one fail

bc_buckshot
06-11-2012, 10:37 PM
This is the first time i ever had to do a inspection on a animal. There is more info in the regs. If I remember cats are the same as grizzlys. When I took my cat to frank at fur and feathers, we did the paper work first( tag, size, sex, region, closest landmark, ect) then did a final size of the cat, and skull. He took a very small tooth in the back of the skull and because it was a female took a teet. Males would be a part of the penis or genitals. The best thing to do is look at the regs. I believe it's important thing with not only stats, but also to see for future stats and hunting on regions if places are over hunted or a lot of snaks taken in areas to maybe lower the quota for years down the road.
To answer the last part of your question on how to fail which I hope nobody does, in my case with the cat to fail if I didn't have a tag or shot it in the wrong region would be a start. If my cat had spots or proved that it had kittens wod be a fail and imagine I would be getting a call from the C.O. I'm pretty sure if you don't pass the compulsory report you will be answering the law after.Other way to fail inspection example with elk and sheep not meeting the length. Best bet read the regs, memorize them, and know what your shooting.

lightmag
06-11-2012, 11:23 PM
congrats!! definatly something i want to tag out on one day!! great job

BCHunterTV
06-12-2012, 06:03 AM
congrats on the cat,