PDA

View Full Version : Wildlife Act - Attracting dangerous wildlife

BearSupreme
06-08-2012, 09:37 PM
Hey folks, just thought id bring this to new hunters attention. Ive been hunting for a few years, and as far as the regulations go, it says that you cant bait bears. I never saw anything about baiting other animals. After looking in the wildlife act, it says that you cant bait bears OR wolves OR coyotes OR cougars. This was total news to me, and im sure for a few others

33.1 (1) A person must not

(a) intentionally feed or attempt to feed dangerous wildlife, or

(b) provide, leave or place an attractant in, on or about any land or premises with the intent of attracting dangerous wildlife.

"dangerous wildlife" means

(a) bear, cougar, coyote or wolf, or

(b) a species of wildlife that is prescribed as dangerous wildlife;

Ive talked to quite a few hunters about baiting cougar and wolf, and no one seems to know that under the wildlife it is illegal with a maximum fine of 100,000 and/or 1 year!

How many other hunters knew this?

Jeff88
06-08-2012, 09:38 PM
umm ,no im pretty sure most hunters no that baiting bears is illegal

Gateholio
06-08-2012, 09:57 PM
Feeding and baiting are 2 different things. There is a reason why bear baiting is specifically mentioned as being illegal and cougars, wolves, coyotes aren't.

BearSupreme
06-08-2012, 10:06 PM
umm ,no im pretty sure most hunters no that baiting bears or couger is illegal..

"attractant" means any of the following:

(a) food or food waste, compost or other waste or garbage that could attract dangerous wildlife;

(b) a carcass or part of a carcass of an animal or fish, or other meat;

(c) any other substance or thing prescribed by regulation of the minister;

It says if you provide, leave or place and ATTRACTANT (defined above as "bait") then you are commiting an offense. I know it clearly states you cant do this for bear, and I stated that in the original post. Nowhere in the regs, can i find anything that says you CANT bait coyotes, wolves or cougars

r106
06-08-2012, 10:06 PM
umm ,no im pretty sure most hunters no that baiting bears or couger is illegal..

I thought it was only bears everything else is okay

Gateholio
06-08-2012, 10:09 PM
I thought it was only bears everything else is okay

Correct......

BearSupreme
06-08-2012, 10:12 PM
Correct......

Those quotes I posted directly from the Wildlife Act... Are you saying that its wrong?

HERE IS THE WILDLIFE ACT FOR ANYONE TO CHECK OUT:
http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws_new/document/ID/freeside/00_96488_01

Barracuda
06-08-2012, 10:13 PM
33.1 (1) A person must not
(b) provide, leave or place an attractant in, on or about any land or premises with the intent of attracting dangerous wildlife.
(2) A person must not leave or place an attractant in, on or about any land or premises where there are or where there are likely to be people, in a manner in which the attractant could
(a) attract dangerous wildlife to the land or premises, and
(b) be accessible to dangerous wildlife.
(3) Subject to subsections (5) and (6), a person who contravenes subsection (1) or (2) commits an offence.
(4) If an offence under this section continues for more than one day, separate fines, each not exceeding the maximum fine for that offence, may be imposed for each day the offence continues.
(5) A person does not contravene subsection (1) (b) or (2) by providing, leaving or placing an attractant in, on or about any land or premises for the purposes of hunting or trapping wildlife in accordance with all other applicable provisions of this Act and the regulations.
(6) A person does not contravene subsection (2)
(a) by conducting a farm operation, as defined in section 1 of the Farm Practices Protection (Right to Farm) Act, if the person
(i) conducts the farm operation on, in or over land anywhere in British Columbia, and
(ii) meets the requirements set out in section 2 (2) (a) and (c) of that Act, or
(b) by operating a facility for the disposal of waste, that is operated in accordance with the Environmental Management Act by a municipality, as defined in section 1 (1) of that Act.
(7) For the purposes of this section, "leave", in relation to a person who is an owner, tenant or occupant of land or premises, includes to fail to remove an attractant from or to allow an attractant to remain in, on or about that land or those premises.

Barracuda
06-08-2012, 10:16 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

BearSupreme
06-08-2012, 10:18 PM
33.1 (1) A person must not:
(2) A person must not leave or place an attractant in, on or about any land or premises where there are or where there are likely to be people, in a manner in which the attractant could
(a) attract dangerous wildlife to the land or premises, and
(b) be accessible to dangerous wildlife.
(3) Subject to subsections (5) and (6), a person who contravenes subsection (1) or (2) commits an offence.
(4) If an offence under this section continues for more than one day, separate fines, each not exceeding the maximum fine for that offence, may be imposed for each day the offence continues.
(5) A person does not contravene subsection (1) (b) or (2) by providing, leaving or placing an attractant in, on or about any land or premises for the purposes of hunting or trapping wildlife in accordance with all other applicable provisions of this Act and the regulations.
(6) A person does not contravene subsection (2)
(a) by conducting a farm operation, as defined in section 1 of the Farm Practices Protection (Right to Farm) Act, if the person
(i) conducts the farm operation on, in or over land anywhere in British Columbia, and
(ii) meets the requirements set out in section 2 (2) (a) and (c) of that Act, or
(b) by operating a facility for the disposal of waste, that is operated in accordance with the Environmental Management Act by a municipality, as defined in section 1 (1) of that Act.
(7) For the purposes of this section, "leave", in relation to a person who is an owner, tenant or occupant of land or premises, includes to fail to remove an attractant from or to allow an attractant to remain in, on or about that land or those premises.
yesssss and one of the provisions are that you cant attract "dangerous wildlife" which is defined in the interpretations part

Barracuda
06-08-2012, 10:19 PM
dont worry if you try real hard one day you will get it :lol:

perhaps bigger letters will make it easier for you :lol:

Gateholio
06-08-2012, 10:28 PM
We've been down this road many times on this site, even had CO's send emails confirming that with the exception of bears, all big game in BC can be hunted by use of bait.

BearSupreme
06-08-2012, 10:36 PM
"in accordance with all other applicable provisions of this Act and the regulations."

You are not in accordance with rule 33.1 IF you are leaving bait for bears OR wolves OR cougars OR coyotes

That means you can dispose of "attractants" but if you are doing so to attract dangerous wildlife, you are commiting an offence

you cant just read the section you like, when you read the law

Barracuda
06-08-2012, 10:42 PM
"in accordance with all other applicable provisions of this Act and the regulations."

You are not in accordance with rule 33.1 IF you are leaving bait for bears OR wolves OR cougars OR coyotes

That means you can dispose of "attractants" but if you are doing so to attract dangerous wildlife, you are commiting an offence

you cant just read the section you like, when you read the law take your own advice :lol:

you are incorrect again :lol:

what is the definition of an attractant??? if you are a hunter or trapper are you able to use an attractant???

this is fun :lol:

BearSupreme
06-08-2012, 10:46 PM
take your own advice :lol:

you are incorrect again :lol:

what is the definition of an attractant???
I already posted what an attractant is:

(a) food or food waste, compost or other waste or garbage that could attract dangerous wildlife;

Name something that can be used for bait that isnt:
food/food waste
compost/garbage
a carcass/part of a carcass fish or other wildlife

this is basically "bait"

This is the act that is what the regs are reffering to when they say you cant bait bears

INCLUDING:

coyotes, cougars and wolves

MuleyMadness
06-08-2012, 10:50 PM
yesssss and one of the provisions are that you cant attract "dangerous wildlife" which is defined in the interpretations part

What you're seemingly unable to rectify is that attracting for purposes of killing (via trapping or shooting) is NOT the same thing as feeding.

The areas you are referring to specifically refer to feeding animals (danagerous game) for the purpose of attracting them but NOT killing them, such as bear/wolf viewing and the like, as in a tourism setting, which is patently illegal.

Feel free to write/call the the CO service or the Ministry for clarification, but I can assure you your interpretation is incorrect.

Barracuda
06-08-2012, 10:50 PM
again please keep reading till you understand it :lol:

I can see all the trap whispers now :lol:

Barracuda
06-08-2012, 10:57 PM
I already posted what an attractant is:

Name something that can be used for bait that isnt:
food/food waste
compost/garbage
a carcass/part of a carcass fish or other wildlife

this is basically "bait"

This is the act that is what the regs are reffering to when they say you cant bait bears

INCLUDING:

coyotes, cougars and wolves

so you are interpreting the use of an attractant (which it clearly states is allowed and it also clearly states what is defined as an attractant ) as feeding ?

take a look at B.C Reg 190/84 17(1) (m) as that is what the the ticket will be issued under which is specifically baiting bear.

Gateholio
06-08-2012, 10:57 PM
Bear Supreme, you should contact the CO service and post their response. Like we've done before on this topic. :)

Or get the opinion of an actual lawyer, whatever.

Ambush
06-08-2012, 11:01 PM
Or get the opinion of an actual lawyer, whatever.

I'm pretty sure there are 500 + lawyers on this site already, judging by most of the " .. the law as I see it" answers to questions like this. And questions like this.

Drillbit
06-09-2012, 12:43 AM
Hey BS, I'm worried from this post and just brought my garbage cans inside my house......there might be an animal outside, attracted to the smell of the garbage can.....if a bear is outside my house, should I report myself?? OMG WTF do I do???

troll for some trout.

hunter1947
06-09-2012, 04:50 AM
Just make sure if you do bait for wolfs or cats that you don't shoot a bear if it comes in to your baiting station..

Foxton Gundogs
06-09-2012, 06:36 AM
The bottom line to this argument is posted in black and red.:mrgreen: The OPs quote from the act/regs says "SUBJECT TO" that means ALL statments quoted from the act/regs by the OP are subject to, http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/subject-to.html the sub section quoted by 'Cuda. END OF ARGUMENT......just "get it" and forget it:mrgreen: and, like H1947 says don't shoot a bear if it comes to lunch.

springpin
06-09-2012, 06:56 AM
This thread is awesome.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-09-2012, 07:32 AM
Now if Mr Dix and his party get into power one day, the act of baiting dogs and cats will most likely become illegal.

SSS

Barracuda
06-09-2012, 09:12 AM
i will add that useing a bait to attract a wolf or couger coyote etc dureing a time when bears are also in season and in an area where bears inhabit is probably gonna get you a ticket for bear baiting .

Walkntalk
06-09-2012, 10:49 AM
I am a newbie and am learning from all of you, but ... you are not gonna get a ticket for baiting if you haven't shot a bear. As long as the other species are open in the area, you'd have a more than reasonable argument when you dispute the ticket. I am sure the CO's won't write you unless it is pretty clear cut, cause they'd have to defend their ticket in court. I'd make pretty DANG sure, though, that I was in a position of safety. I wouldn't want to have to explain why I had shot a bear that became territotial over an 'attractant' pile.

Barracuda
06-09-2012, 11:26 AM
If you have a bear tag and sitting over a bait as described in that section that will bring in bears then you will more then likely get a ticket if they feel the attractant is being used in relation to bear hunting. ( hunting is not defined by the kill)

He doesnt have to prove his case to issue a ticket thats for the judge to decide. you can also have your hunting priv revoked till it is cleared up.

BearSupreme
06-09-2012, 12:22 PM
Knock off the insults.........

blink1
06-09-2012, 12:25 PM
its only illegal in this province.everyother province you can. and what is there reasoning behind no baiting.

springpin
06-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Lol...calling someone names ain't gonna help this discussion...

J_T
06-09-2012, 03:52 PM
Hot Tubbing in the Whistler area has been proven to attract bears... Probably see a refinement to the regs next year about fencing off hot tubs.

keoke
06-09-2012, 04:24 PM
Is it legal to put out a bowl of antifreeze with a sign that says here kitty kitty?

Sitkaspruce
06-09-2012, 04:56 PM
Dangerous Wildlife orders and this legislation is used when idiots leave garbage out that attracts dangerous animals. CO's use it to get idiots to look after their waste (garbage, chicken coop, compost etc.). Idiots include homeowners, farmers, business owners and people who think that the CO's job is to wack all bears who rip into their garbage that they leave in their non-secured garbage cans.

It is used for non-hunting situations. Hunting situations are different. Which has been explained already.

Cheers

SS

Moose Guide
06-09-2012, 05:11 PM
Dangerous Wildlife orders and this legislation is used when idiots leave garbage out that attracts dangerous animals. CO's use it to get idiots to look after their waste (garbage, chicken coop, compost etc.). Idiots include homeowners, farmers, business owners and people who think that the CO's job is to wack all bears who rip into their garbage that they leave in their non-secured garbage cans.

It is used for non-hunting situations. Hunting situations are different. Which has been explained already.

Cheers

SS

It is also used when people feed dog food to bears and cougars on their back porch!

snowhunter
06-09-2012, 09:38 PM
Most different scents will attract wildlife. Your aftershave will attract wildlife, even your bad breath and body odor will attract the attention of wildlife. There are several stories in which a hunter at his station falls asleep and then wake up when some moose or some other wildlife smelling his face, or coming very close. Deer and other wildlife can smell the rubber soles in your foot steps, as well as everything else you touch with your hands or gloves in the wilderness. I have seen one incredible Youtube clip in which a moose walks rights up to a bow and arrow hunter, because the moose could smell the metal arrow tip, which it also tasted with its mouth. Your gun also smells of metal, oil and paints.

The sense of smell of wildlife, including domesticated dog, is beyond most human imaginations and comprehensions. Many years ago, I read about trappers, who used expensive perfumes as very successful bait in their traps. Your urine and feces will also attract wildlife's attention as well. Human feces contains nutrients, which wildlife can smell, and will also be eaten by the wildlife.

I have watched deer walk up to my emergency dump in the bush and then give some sounds of warnings to other deer. Could that be classified as baiting as well ?

Hunter Dog
06-11-2012, 12:35 PM
If you have a bear tag and sitting over a bait as described in that section that will bring in bears then you will more then likely get a ticket if they feel the attractant is being used in relation to bear hunting. ( hunting is not defined by the kill)

He doesnt have to prove his case to issue a ticket thats for the judge to decide. you can also have your hunting priv revoked till it is cleared up.

A CO has to prove his/her case in court if the ticket is disputed; and the charged individual has to prove innocence. The judge is there to decide who has presented a stronger case and make a decision based on that.

Barracuda
06-11-2012, 12:39 PM
correct but again the CO does not have to prove his case to issue a ticket and thousands of dollars later and time lost hunting is not returned to the hunter.

budismyhorse
06-11-2012, 03:21 PM
......some thread titles you just know are going to be a gong show.........glad this one lived up to it. ;)

.330 Dakota
06-11-2012, 03:32 PM
Hey BS, I'm worried from this post and just brought my garbage cans inside my house......there might be an animal outside, attracted to the smell of the garbage can.....if a bear is outside my house, should I report myself?? OMG WTF do I do???

troll for some trout.

Assume the position...lol

06-11-2012, 03:42 PM
We should really sticky these ones!

snowhunter
06-11-2012, 04:23 PM
There are now shooting rules for fly-in hunters. You are not allowed to shoot game for the six hours after arrival, because the engine noise from the floatplane attract wildlife. I know one individual who, while unloading the floatplane, shoot a curious moose at 50 yards.

boxhitch
06-11-2012, 06:56 PM
:rolleyes:
Many years ago, I read about trappers, who used expensive perfumes as very successful bait in their traps.Really ...........
its true, though not many trappers can't afford it, expensive perfume works better for beaver than cheap stuff.

Actually, just having 'trappers' and 'expensive perfume' in the same sentence is funnier than epileptic wrestling.

:rolleyes:
because the engine noise from the floatplane attract wildlife Really ...........
often wondered when they would figure that out. The same reasons so many deer are hit on the runways, and airports have to have ungulate patrols with dogs and raptors.

snowhunter
06-12-2012, 12:55 PM
http://www.luvessentials.com/

Pheromones added to expensive perfumes might be what attract animals, like beavers and other wild game to the trap. Pheromone is secreted by all animal, including humans, in order to signal breeding desires. For example, that is why a male dogs are unable to resist a female dog in heat, who are secreting pheromones during the heat.

Many scent used for attracting deer contains natural pheromones. Worth checking out the expensive perfume section at London Drugs before going hunting next time :)