PDA

View Full Version : Moose Biology...Book???

Trevor60
11-06-2006, 04:28 PM
I just recently got back from my hunting trip (empty), so i have decided that next year I will hunt smarter not harder, and have been researching a couple of Moose biology books. Of the books i have checked out, this one seems to be the most indepth " Ecology and Management of the North American Moose" does any one have any other suggestions. Or can offer other books about hunting Moose including their biology.

Thanks
Trevor

MB_Boy
11-06-2006, 04:39 PM
Trevor.......great book, and I am not just saying that because my Dad wrote a few of the chapters. It is very in depth. Where are you located?

I have yet to get around to it, but Marc has allowed me to post up and sell copies of my Dad's video which the first one is geared much more to moose biology etc and the true hunting one is on the way soon.

Elkhound
11-06-2006, 04:52 PM
MB Boy......I have been waiting for that. Let me know when, and how much as I would like to buy one as soon as you are able. I was going to get one from SIR but in Horshoe Bay you mentioned getting it right from you. Any chance of getting one autographed. Seriously.

MB_Boy
11-06-2006, 04:56 PM
He is just getting a new order of DVD's and he just sent one out for me autographed for Tiger Williams so I could likely get another. I'll get things queued up with him this week as he is just back from a number of hunting trips.

Just to clarify it is much more biology focussed for anyone such as a hunter, photographer or just outdoors dork can pick up info on it.

He also has a CD that is geared towards calling.....I think I have a copy but with complete embarassment I will admit that I don't think I have ever listened to it!! :redface:

Elkhound
11-06-2006, 05:01 PM
Listen to it you horrible son. :lol: if it's good I will take that one too.

MB_Boy
11-06-2006, 05:05 PM
Listen to it you horrible son. :lol: if it's good I will take that one too.

LMAO............

Trevor....didn't mean to hi-jack the thread at all.

Elkhound
11-06-2006, 05:09 PM
Trevor....didn't mean to hi-jack the thread at all.
Just so you know Trevor. MB Boy's father is the leading wildlife biologist on Moose in North America. Get his DVD's. The wealth of knowledge on there would be valuable for sure.

WoodOx
11-06-2006, 05:51 PM
Id totally be interested in the DVD & calling tape too.

Cant ever hurt to know the biology of the animal you hunt.

Once saw a discovery chanel documentary called "The majestic moose"

Talked about calling, using horns etc. Not specifically hunting, but its all compeltly applicable.

FullDraw
11-06-2006, 06:37 PM
I'd be interested in the DVD and CD as well any thing to help me bag my 1st moose.

FullDraw

browningboy
11-06-2006, 06:55 PM
If you want to know all about moose, theres a guy that is the master of them, he studies at the university of manitoba and hes called the "moose doctor", you can google that and watch some of his studies, they are very informative. He goes through calling, stalking, behavior etc....
Its done me as well as my friends good for knowing what they're about.
Hope that helps.

lip_ripper00
11-06-2006, 08:02 PM
If you want to know all about moose, theres a guy that is the master of them, he studies at the university of manitoba and hes called the "moose doctor", you can google that and watch some of his studies, they are very informative. He goes through calling, stalking, behavior etc....
Hope that helps. I think you are talking about the same person as in previous post. I have a copy of Moose up Close and Moose Music I haved watched and listened to them many times

browningboy
11-06-2006, 09:40 PM
Moose music, that just sounds funny, just picture that, you got a woman coming over and finds you having the "moose" love tapes on,:lol:
But yes they are informative.

MB_Boy
11-07-2006, 09:27 AM
Hope that helps.

It is actually "Doc Moose" and that is my Dad. He does a lot of work with U of M, but is employed by the DNR in MB. He is also the Canadian President and one of the founders of the North American Moose Foundation, among many other groups he is involved. He is heavily involved in looking a CWD in MB and working closely with the dept. in Sask.

If you have ever seen a show on National Geograhic called "The Man Who Would be Moose", that is all about him. He also has done various other shows such as Champions of the Wild and a few other "Animal Planet/Discovery" features.

MB_Boy
11-07-2006, 09:30 AM
Moose music, that just sounds funny, just picture that, you got a woman coming over and finds you having the "moose" love tapes on,:lol:
But yes they are informative.

Yes......as well as if you are having a bunch of people over at your house for a party and some idiot finds the CD and fires it up. You get a bunch of "city slickers" from Vancouver listening to it and they just die laughing at my Dad.

The other one that I had to break to him was a few friends decided to turn "Moose Close Up" into a drinking game. Anytime Moose, Bull or Cow is mentioned everyone has a drink. Let's just say NO one has made it to the end as of yet; my Dad was quite pleased to know his video was a hit with friends, but I just didn't have the heart to tell him why!!:lol: :lol:

Elkhound
11-07-2006, 10:40 AM
The other one that I had to break to him was a few friends decided to turn "Moose Close Up" into a drinking game. Anytime Moose, Bull or Cow is mentioned everyone has a drink. Let's just say NO one has made it to the end as of yet; my Dad was quite pleased to know his video was a hit with friends, but I just didn't have the heart to tell him why!!:lol: :lol:

Interesting........file away info for later.:lol:

browningboy
11-07-2006, 06:16 PM
Hey MB Boy, do you or your dad go moose hunting? Man your dad would be hilarious!! Does he still have the fake moose head and challenge the bulls? As for the drinking game, I have to get a CD as I do have some "city slicker" friends as well as for our annual AGM in the charlottes.:lol:

MB_Boy
11-08-2006, 09:03 AM
BrowningBoy............absolutely moose hunt. My Dad still does a 10 day fly in trip in Northeast MB ever year and have been doing it as long as I can remember. I started going in on the trip when I was 12, but unforutnately since I moved to the coast I have only been back for that hunt twice in the last 12 years:frown: He never has been an "anti" and despite his fascination with the animals he still recognizes the importance of hunting in conservation and has hunted since he was a young fella in Northern ON.

I tell ya there have been some funny things happen moose hunting with my Dad but it has taught me SO much over the years. His knowledge is very astute on all ungulates. I have been deer hunting with him since I was about 8 or 9 and the knowledge on everything from biology, parasitology, behaviour etc is priceless. I dragged a friend of mine in University out deer hunting for a few days...he was in Zoololgy at U of M and was not opposed to hunting but skeptical. It was interesting to have him say at the end of the 3rd day that he had learned SO much more from my Dad and I as opposed to what he could from a text book or lecture at school. That kind of thing certainly does help our cause, a guy who is non-hunter and still is very much appreciates what it is all about.

As for the head........yup he is still at it. He does 99% of his filming starting around the last week of August and runs right through September with a 10 day pause for hunting for the end of Sept/beginning of Oct.

I have been out with him countless times and although I find them fascinating I have spent more hours staring at a single moose than I care to admit. After hour number 1 of watching a moose feed it gets to be a bit much. "Wow Dad.....look.....it dunked it's head underwater "again" to get some aquatic plants". It does get pretty funny in the fall though watching him with the moose head on......especially when he can't make the other bull back down. :eek:

But in all the years he has been doing it he has only been sh*tkicked once and that was in the late spring when he was trying to photograph a young calf nursing (he is a photographolholic) and he took one step too far around some willows and all hell broke loose. A friend snapped a few pics and despite getting his a$$ kicked one of the pics of him walking back he has this stupid grin on his face knowing that he deserved what he got. Then it was me who was laughing the next day when the pain and stiffness set in....not too mention all the bruises up and down his back and back of his legs. I seem to recall being 16 and looking up at him as he is VERY tall.........shaking my head when he told me the story and all I replied with was "you're an idiot". Then I turned and ran as fast as I could....:wink: :biggrin:

browningboy
11-08-2006, 10:01 PM
MB, thanks for the insight, its amusing as well as informative.
So after all that, do you still get the odd few "cityslickers" in and crank up the uuuuhhhhhhhaaaa! They must piss thier pants, the drinking game sounds good. Man your Dads the "DOC", how cool8)
Does he ever come out to the wet coast? Thought he would like to put a calling session on, promise no laughs just hunting!
I"m sure that you probly have had your fill, only so much moose you can see, you know its getting bad if your checking out the cows ass!:lol:

Jager
11-08-2006, 10:38 PM
Try to find a book by Dr. Valerius Geist....he has a bunch on various critters (sheep, mule deer, moose, etc.). I have the one on mule deer "Mule Deer Country" but I don't remember the title of the moose book. There is lots of good info on the biology and habits of the various animals and the books are filled with some spectacular photographs.

dana
11-08-2006, 10:46 PM
I believe Val Geist's moose book is titled Moose: Behavior, Ecology, Conservation. I've got a copy kicking around the house somewhere. Very good read, as is with any Geist book.

browningboy
11-09-2006, 09:35 PM
A buddy of mine wrote "moose behaviors", he is a guide and has been in the bush most of his life, its a great book, you can usally find it at hunting stores etc. The authors initials are JR, he also guides for deer, bear etc.

kutenay
11-09-2006, 10:28 PM
I would also strongly recommend anything by Val Geist, I met him in Nelson nearly 30 years ago and have most of his books, both popular and "professional". He was a contemporary of some of my instructors/friends at university and he also is a REAL "bush" biologist who has spent periods of months alone in northern B.C. I used to do this in summer, he did it in winter and this is not as easy or romantic as some would have you believe.

I have the utmost respect for Dr. Geist, he ranks with Dr. Ian McTaggert-Cowan and Dr. Vladimir Krajina among my "heros" as conservationists and REAL environmental biologists. He is an example of the sort of scientist that we need more of in North American wildlife management, IMO and I hope he keeps writing for years to come.

I would appreciate a PM from MB boy as to how to obtain the book he refers to as I am always adding to my collection of books on wildlife/ecology/forestry.