PDA

View Full Version : GPS Problem

Walksalot
06-07-2012, 06:31 AM
I recently installed an internet modem/router combination in one unit. Now I can't get my GPS to download or upload way points. I am told the modem should have nothing to do with the GPS problem. I spent 1.5 hrs on the phone with Garmin support with no positive results. Any input would be appreciated. I have reinstalled the drivers numerous times.

Pioneerman
06-07-2012, 07:27 AM
Are you still accessing computer with same wired connection or are you going through the router or hub ? If you are still plugged into the usb port nothing should change. You could unplug the router stop internet connection and see if you have the same problem. Some routers put up a firewall for access but if you are hardwired it should not matter

r106
06-07-2012, 08:26 AM
^^^ yup. If you GPS is wired to your computer I can't see a router or modem causing any problem

Gun Dog
06-07-2012, 09:10 AM
You might want to mention what computer and OS (& version) you're using. Maybe a GPS model too. My Garmin 60 has issues but if I connect it after it's powered up and running it's usually ok. Like others said, your problem is unrelated to your Internet modem.

Walksalot
06-07-2012, 11:16 AM
Hey guys, thanks muchly for the input.
My GPS is a Garmin 60cx and, so far, the problem has been rectified. The guy at Garmin had me hold down the UP button on the GPS and held in the ON button simultaneously while I pushed the Find Device button. I had to hold it down for about a minute or so and this was to try to force the computer to recognize the GPS unit. It seems to have worked.

Jagermeister
06-07-2012, 11:18 AM
I would say that the problem is the interface between the GPS and the software. I bet you are running Backroads Maps.

Walksalot
06-07-2012, 11:25 AM
No I am not running Backroads Maps but thanks for the heads up issue with that program.