PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Dean's, Mr. Buck's

Mr. Dean
11-06-2006, 01:30 PM
Well...........I have a story to tell and (so far) one picture that needs posting. :mrgreen:

Is there someone here that could do the latter, if I e-maild them the pic? :confused:

Then I could tell my story...... :wink:

Elkhound
11-06-2006, 01:32 PM
Send to me Mr Dean. eyedeal1@telus.net

Mr. Dean
11-06-2006, 01:33 PM
WOW!!!!

Now that's service........Get ready..

Steeleco
11-06-2006, 01:33 PM
Or moi!! steeleco@telus.net

Get back to work BOB!!!!

Elkhound
11-06-2006, 01:35 PM
Or moi!! steeleco@telus.net

Get back to work BOB!!!!

Now we will mess with everybody's head.:lol: Waiting for pic Mr.Dean

Mr. Dean
11-06-2006, 01:49 PM
Elkster.....Ya got's mail

Marc
11-06-2006, 01:53 PM
Elkhound maybe?

Elkhound
11-06-2006, 01:57 PM
Elkhound maybe?
True, Elkster is another member:lol: But I knew who you meant.

Yere ya go. Very nice buck BTW

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m137/dwelkhound/Mr.jpg

WoodOx
11-06-2006, 02:10 PM
Definatly - s'got some good mass to him. Story? Shot distance? Mounting him?

Mulie_Hunter
11-06-2006, 02:12 PM
Good Mass, Grats on the Buck!

Steeleco
11-06-2006, 02:30 PM
Nice indeed, hey we're almost neighbour's, whens dinner JK:lol::lol::lol:

Mr. Dean
11-06-2006, 03:13 PM
Here's the story. Better late, than never.

And yeah......Mount is in the works!

This guy took 10 days, spread over two trips to get.

I went in for an 8-day hunt, w/ friends and I located him on day two. Shot and a miss. Bullet flew over his back. I miss-judged BOTH the yardage and the angle (bad BAD hunter, I am).

Spotted him EVERY other day since that first visit, but a VERY hard area to get into. As soon as I was within a half of a klick…..He BUSTED me and would disappear over the ridge (bad BAD hunter, I am).

Ended up goin home empty handed, passing on eight other shooters, that trip, vowing to return….

The next weekend comes along and I inform Mrs. Dean that I GOT to go.

I set up my camp at 3 pm Friday afternoon and head out to THE spot. I get there around 5:30 and belly crawl that last half klick through the ditch and timber line and ease my way up to the boulder, at the entrance to the cut-block he’s in, glassing every 10 feet of the way.

I reached that boulder at 6:15 and start glassing the timberline.

THERE HE IS!

He’s looking right at me, but doesn’t see me, from over 200 yrds away. I dare not move for my rifle, for once I do, I fear that he’ll just disappear over that ridge AGAIN. Instead, I feel content with glassing him over for the duration of sun and low and behold, he walks over to a small stand of timber (and get this), GOES TO BED!

I wait for another hour, after the sun goes down, before collecting my ass and haul it out,
back to camp.

I study my maps some more, over dinner and well into the night, trying to formulate another plan of execution. Sneaking up to the boulder, after all, didn’t work either….

I wake up at 4 AM and viola! I GOT IT!! But I have to move FAST!

I drive back over and park the Jeep in is usual spot, about 2 klicks from his cut-block and instead of trying to sneak in via the direct approach, I drop 500 yrds DOWN the mountain, into the timber and work my way over into the lower easchalans of the block. Then proceed UP the timberline to a lower bench. Find a decent vantage point to glass from, figure out a rifle rest, pour a cup of coffee and wait for the sun to rise.

This all takes over two hours to accomplish and the sky is just starting to break. Man I hope I didn’t spook him….
But look! The sun is just starting to shine on the hillside, gradually opening up the block, for me to see. Nope, where he bedded down is STILL to dark to see if ANYTHING is moving. I figure that it’ll take 10 more minutes for the sun to expose it, as I take a sip from the cup….

I should take the time here to say it’s a beautiful morning. Skies were clear with only a quarter (if that) moon and the temp was only slightly above freezing. An EXCELLENT day for hunting! IMO.

The sun is starting to expose that little patch of timber. I’ve been glassing hard and long. My eyeballs and neck feel strained. AND I see NOTHING that resembles a Deer, let alone MY Deer.

Patience Dean…PATIENCE!
Let’s give it a couple of hours….. AT LEAST.

It’s 8 AM. The sun has now fully exposed the whole cut. The area that bedded my Deer has been lit up for a good 10 minutes. I continue glassing.

Low and behold…….THERE he IS!!!!

He’s just getting up and walks outside to get the mornings paper. He stops on the doorstep and starts to look over the fantastic day that awaits him

BOOM! It’s all over.

One shot put him down, 10 feet from where he was standing. The bullet entered low, taking out his heart and popping his entire lung on the far side. I nicked a rib on the exit, but lost only about a pound and a half of flank meat, due to bloodshot. The term BANG-FLOP would apply here, I think (?).

GPS say's it was a 312 metre shot w/ a 38 degree uphill angle

I was using a 300 WinMag shooting a 180 grain Nosler Partition, over 75.5 grains of Reloader 22, Winchester brass, hand-loads (that's a mouthful), from my mod 77 Ruger.

My score's put him around 175 net (Boone & Crocket pts.). He had only 3"s of deductions......We'll see what the Pro's have to say

Got me another, slightly smaller 4 point off of the Coq, Monday, after getting home from this hunt.

But that’s another story…..

NEEHAMA
11-06-2006, 03:26 PM
GREAT STORY, good job, you earned this deer.

Mr. Dean
11-06-2006, 03:31 PM
GREAT STORY, good job, you earned this deer.

Getting him out is a whole story on it's own........10 hours of SERIOUS humping.

But worth it! 8-)

FlyingHigh
11-06-2006, 03:32 PM
Congrat's on an awesome deer, and a very well written story!! wish i could find a deer like that. man, that must have taken a lot of patience to stick to him. way to go!!

BlacktailStalker
Hey good write up and even better buck, congrats !

MB_Boy
Nice work Dean.........it was worth the wait for the story and pics!!

WoodOx
11-06-2006, 03:48 PM
Aye great story. Sounds like it was a lot of fun.

Finding cuts that dont have road access is wicked. Dont know if that was the case here, but once in an odd while you find one tucked away with only a skidder trail in there. Love em.

Mr. Dean
11-06-2006, 03:55 PM
Aye great story. Sounds like it was a lot of fun.

Finding cuts that dont have road access is wicked. Dont know if that was the case here, but once in an odd while you find one tucked away with only a skidder trail in there. Love em.

Access WAS the shits. The road that led to the skidder trail was steep and covered w/ 4"s of Loon poop mud.

Over the course of ALL my visits, nobody else was able to get in there. Some tried, but turned around shortly after attempting.

Good for me...

mtnmax
11-06-2006, 03:58 PM
Great story, great deer! Good job.

Mr. Dean
11-06-2006, 04:12 PM
Nice indeed, hey we're almost neighbour's, whens dinner JK:lol::lol::lol:

Hey, quit laughing!
You ARE a neighbour, and so is NEEHAMA.

I have yet to hold a glass of wiskey, high, in his honour............
We might be able to do something here. 8)

And Elkhound;
Thanks for getting the picture up-n-running.

CHEERS!

Sieg-MM
11-06-2006, 05:00 PM
Awesome story and congrads on your buck. I hope you never cut the cape to high for you taxi-man.

3kills
11-06-2006, 05:07 PM
nice buck congrats...what region??? where abouts??

NightOwl74
11-06-2006, 05:12 PM
I particularly like how you used a map and parked a ways away, walking into the spot. I always thought hunting an animal on foot is the purest fair-chase form of hunting. You should be proud to have out-done that guy on foot.

Mr. Dean
11-06-2006, 06:52 PM
Awesome story and congrads on your buck. I hope you never cut the cape to high for you taxi-man.

Ummmm...........Yup. It's definately all screwed up. :frown:

Possible salvageable. :|
We'll see as it goes.

Mr. Dean
11-06-2006, 06:54 PM
nice buck congrats...what region??? where abouts??
He came out of region three. If I told you the MU....You know I'd be lieing. :lol:

Somewhere around Barrier is about all I can say. 8)

Then again, everyone knows that there are NO DEER near Barrier. :mrgreen:

Mr. Dean
11-06-2006, 07:02 PM
I particularly like how you used a map and parked a ways away, walking into the spot. I always thought hunting an animal on foot is the purest fair-chase form of hunting. You should be proud to have out-done that guy on foot.

Absolutely no other way of connecting with this guy. If you were to come in on the quad, you wouldn't even known that he was living there.

MattB
11-06-2006, 07:08 PM
Nice buck! Sounds like quite the hunt as well. It almost looks like you cut too high up his brisket to use that cape for the mount? Im sure any good tax man could fix it though.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-06-2006, 08:04 PM
Nice buck!
Cape is easily fixed by any good taxidermist.
Just remember for next time.

SSS

todbartell
11-06-2006, 08:18 PM
very nice mulie

Will
11-06-2006, 08:20 PM
Great Buck...Well done & Congrats8)

BCrams
11-06-2006, 08:24 PM
Nice muley !! Hope I have some luck myself this year.

pmj
11-06-2006, 08:58 PM
Congratulations. Great work! Thanks for sharing that exciting hunt. Good to see how your hard work paid off. It encourages me to use all my abilities to pursue the big bucks when I only hear a snort and the stomp of their hooves as they out smarted me again.

paraschost
11-06-2006, 09:13 PM
congratulations. thats one sweet muley!

cowboy-up69
11-07-2006, 02:41 PM
Nice buck!!!