PDA

View Full Version : Trapping questions

604redneck
06-06-2012, 07:02 PM
I have some trapping questions regarding purchasing a trap line, getting a trapping licence and available courses in bc....its something that i would really like to get into.

604redneck
06-06-2012, 07:03 PM
just pm me if you are knowledgable in trapping.
thx

brad ferris
06-06-2012, 07:29 PM
Bcta.ca should get you some info and contacts in regards to the trapper education course. That should probably be your first step

BlacktailStalker
06-06-2012, 08:17 PM
And after you get your license unless you know someone to trap with or to get permission from to use their line/buy it, it is damn near impossible to find one.
Just so you know... This is something that is supposedly being worked on but I've yet to see any progress...

yukon john
06-06-2012, 08:22 PM
Good luck with the TA, you can phone them 10 times and you will never hear back

604redneck
06-06-2012, 08:31 PM
ya ive seen trap lines for sale in northern bc but dont know what the whole deal is

Wild one
06-06-2012, 09:33 PM
To get a trapping license you need to take a 3 day course

After you have completed this course and you are 19 or older you may purchase a trapline.

The problem at this time is locating a trapline to buy some regions are more difficult than others. You can find lines by talking to other trappers, adds in BCTA mag, and Most regions you can get contact info of the trappers who own lines and phone them to see if they are willing to sell. If you are willing to put in the time it is possible to find a line but not easy.

The reason for lines being so hard to find is inactive lines have not been being auction off like they should be by the govt. Yes progress is being made with this problem but dates are not set at this time. Everything involving govt is always slow.

If you want to get into trapping yes you can make a few extra $ but it is hard work and don't quit your job because you will starve. Even with all the work I look forward to trapping season all year

If you really want to get into it send me a PM

604redneck
06-06-2012, 09:50 PM
Ya i hear that but i get laid off for the winter so i need to fill the void and right now i hunt coyotes and other predators

Wild one
06-06-2012, 10:00 PM
If you don't work in the winter then trapper could be a great thing for you to get into

blackbart
06-06-2012, 10:03 PM
Seems to me that if you have a valid trappers licence you can also trap on private land (provided the owner allows you).

This may be worth looking into further if you want to give it a go.

I strongly encourage you to go trap some wolves next winter. Hit up some large ranches and you might get allowed to trap predators and some other critters.

Good luck.

hunter1947
06-07-2012, 05:56 AM
When you get you trapping L ask when at your coarse ask your trapping instructor who has trap lines in your area ,when you get there names and number call them and ask them if you can help them trap on there trap lines free of charge and this will help you learn lots .

This is one way of getting your feet wet and getting to know other trappers that have registerd trap lines ,I did this and learned so much on how to trap the right way ,good luck..