PDA

View Full Version : Kuiu Spindrift Jacket?

Garret
06-06-2012, 09:21 AM
I'm looking at buying this jacket online but not sure what size to get, as I have never tried on the jackets before. anynow know how if they fit tight or loose? I'm fairly tall as well so looking for anyones feedback on the jackets.

any advice helps!

bigwhiteys
06-06-2012, 09:29 AM
Sizing runs like Sitka... It's "athletic". I would order 1 size larger than you think you need if you plan to layer underneath it.

Carl

Rubberfist
06-06-2012, 09:41 AM
I'm 6'3", 220lbs and the XL fit perfectly. However, I have to state that piece was the only disappointing item in the Kuiu line-up: I used it on goat and sheep hunts last year and found that it did not provide adequate warmth for our climate (northern BC) and once it gets wet, it is next to useless.

The Spindrift is an aberration however, as the rest of the Kuiu outerwear is outstanding.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-06-2012, 09:45 AM
I'm 6'3", 220lbs and the XL fit perfectly. However, I have to state that piece was the only disappointing item in the Kuiu line-up: I used it on goat and sheep hunts last year and found that it did not provide adequate warmth for our climate (northern BC) and once it gets wet, it is next to useless.

The Spindrift is an aberration however, as the rest of the Kuiu outerwear is outstanding.

I haven't worn one yet..but one guy in our camp last yr had one and I was a little skeptical about it as it seemed pretty thin compared to other down jackets that I've looked at.

SSS

bigwhiteys
06-06-2012, 01:18 PM
I haven't worn one yet..but one guy in our camp last yr had one and I was a little skeptical about it as it seemed pretty thin compared to other down jackets that I've looked at.

It's a synthetic (primaloft). My Mountain Hardwear Nitrous (down) with a hood weighs a little less than the spindrift but it's 800 fill down. Almost too warm... great for late season...

snareman1234
06-06-2012, 01:41 PM

Agree 100%

Blockcaver
06-06-2012, 07:07 PM
I like mine for layering with the other clothes I backpack with.....KUIU merino 185 top, Microtex shirt, KUIU vest, Microtex unlined archers jacket, Spindrift coat, and Chugach rain jacket if it is really windy. This combo keeps me warm in some very windy and cold weather (wet too). By itself the Spindrift isn't good to sit around in, but was always warm enough for an hour hike with the dog last winter with a light shirt under it. I consider it a great piece of gear.

Spindrift fits true to size in my opinion, as all my KUIU tops are XL and fit me well. The exception was the Attack Jacket which fit tight in the arm pits and got returned.

StoneChaser
06-06-2012, 07:14 PM
I'm 6' tall 205lbs and tried the XL Spindrift and sent it back...found it a little tight in the shoulders (making it short in the sleeves).

Also found the Guide Jacket a little tight in the pits...they've since changed it up a little (a little wider cut in the back to address this issue). I've got another on order to try again.

The Chugach XL jacket is great though.

Superdeuce
06-08-2012, 08:58 PM
Shouldn't the Spindrift, being a synthetic jacket, be superior to any down jacket in wet conditions? Not doubting the claims based on field use, I just find it suprising and wonder what a better choice might be?
Are we comparing apples to oranges with the Spindrift which is really a mid layer jacket versus any of the "puffy" belay style down jackets? Both have their place but based on the specs of the Spindrift (80gram primaloft one, 40 Denier rip stop and DWR 80 wash at 13.5oz) it should be pretty good for what it is intended to be?

Buck
06-08-2012, 09:30 PM
Shouldn't the Spindrift, being a synthetic jacket, be superior to any down jacket in wet conditions? Not doubting the claims based on field use, I just find it suprising and wonder what a better choice might be?
Are we comparing apples to oranges with the Spindrift which is really a mid layer jacket versus any of the "puffy" belay style down jackets? Both have their place but based on the specs of the Spindrift (80gram primaloft one, 40 Denier rip stop and DWR 80 wash at 13.5oz) it should be pretty good for what it is intended to be?

I agree with a merino layer the vest and my Spindrift i am very comfortable.In fact i wear the Spindrift all the time and find it very warm for the weight.

Ambush
06-08-2012, 09:42 PM
I bought one last summer and have used it into late winter. It's not a coat, but a warming, mid layer. Seems very good for it's intended purpose, compact and light.
Worth the money if bought on sale and they are having a sale right now.

I have a size large, which fits perfectly and I'm 5' 11" , 195 pounds. My arms are way longer than standard issue, so I have trouble getting long enough sleeves without getting a baggy body, but this jacket fits quite well.

kawdy
06-08-2012, 09:47 PM
Hi,

I just received this jacket today in large. I am 6' 2" and 190 lbs and this jacket is more than long enough in the sleeves and body and seems to have an athletic fit but not to tight, should allow for a t-shirt and merino layer under it with no problem. Having said that if I had a beer keg for a stomach I would go for a size larger.

hope this helps,

budismyhorse
06-11-2012, 03:08 PM
Hi,

I just received this jacket today in large. I am 6' 2" and 190 lbs and this jacket is more than long enough in the sleeves and body and seems to have an athletic fit but not to tight, should allow for a t-shirt and merino layer under it with no problem. Having said that if I had a beer keg for a stomach I would go for a size larger.

hope this helps,

lol!

if you had a beer keg for a stomach......you'd be better off spending less money on a Mac Jacket to stay warm while you thump on a box of Timmys in the cab of a truck...........

06-12-2012, 06:43 PM
I just picked mine up in L today, I am 5'11" and 215(athletic) and I find it tight in the front of the shoulders and in the elbows when I bend both arms. I ordered the brown but it appears to be more of a dark greenish color now that it is home. I am going to exchange it for a XL and see how that goes, hopefully not to baggy in the body.

pg83
06-12-2012, 08:25 PM
I find it to be a great piece of gear when using it as a mid layer. Merino underlayer, vest, Spindrift, Guide/Chugach. I also wear it for casual walks/hikes during non hunting season. I can't speak for it's performance while wet since I try to stay dry ;)

I'm 6'1" 210 lbs. and the L works for me. I went to XL for my Chugach set, but that's it.

06-12-2012, 08:53 PM
I have really been trying to decide if I should or not as the body fits so nice and streamlined, I have been wearing it around the house and I think this is going to be just right for me this year. The other nice thing is that the wife saw the spindrift and attack pants on(solid colors) and was amazed that they were hunting clothes and told me I shoul order more fore everday use as she liked the fit, thats pretty hard to beat. I should also mention that the attack pants are probably the most comfortable pants I have worn, I have big legs and normal hunting gear always limits my mobility and these are amazing.