PDA

View Full Version : Buying land in Dawson creek

mikek
06-05-2012, 04:29 PM
I'm buying a 1/4 off the old Alaska hwy by the kiskatana river wondering I anyone has any experience out there in what a guy can expect for wildlife there ?

yukon john
06-05-2012, 04:34 PM
Whitetails, Mulies, Blackies, Moose depending on the quarter you should have the odd elk, or maybe a bunch of them

Aheny
06-05-2012, 04:38 PM
I am so jealous, worked up that way for many years, and you have picked a great spot. Set up a hottub on your deck with a gun rest, and you can soak, drink a beer, and shoot a mulie all at the same time!

Surrey Boy
06-05-2012, 04:41 PM
Whitetails, Mulies, Blackies, Moose depending on the quarter you should have the odd elk, or maybe a bunch of them

What about wolves, lynx, coyotes, grouse?

I agree that elk are hit and miss around here, but if you're near a reserve, it's always open buck season.

bigwhiteys
06-05-2012, 04:42 PM
What is growing on that quarter (or next to it) will determine what you have on there for game if any. Are you actively farming it? Is it being farmed now?

KodiakHntr
06-05-2012, 04:58 PM
What about wolves, lynx, coyotes, grouse?

I agree that elk are hit and miss around here, but if you're near a reserve, it's always open buck season.

Not sure I understand what you mean by always open buck season?

bridger
06-05-2012, 06:12 PM
Depends just where your land is situated. Being on the old alaska highway means you are on the east side of te new highway. More mulies in that stretch but whitetails as well. Some moose and a few elk. Biggest population of elk are upstream aways but a good friend of mine has great success with elk down around the mouth below your place a few miles so you are in good country in general. The success younwill have on your own place will depend to a large degree on what crops you and your neighbors have. The other plus is once you become established in the neighborhood other doors will open for you. Pm me if you want more detail. Welcome to the Peace Country hope things go well for you.

458wm
06-05-2012, 07:41 PM
In that area it'll mostly be deer (both muly and white) and moose I've also been hearing of black bear are thick in that area.

PS any chance I can bribe you with beer of hunting permision???

bigwhiteys
06-05-2012, 08:16 PM
PS any chance I can bribe you with beer of hunting permision???

You are looking for the hutterites then...

yukon john
06-05-2012, 08:53 PM
You are looking for the hutterites then...
Better luck with vodka then

mikek
06-09-2012, 08:00 PM
We are still buying some land but it will be more south now I still have about 8 1/4s across the river to hunt of my father inlaws but we will be living south of DC. But I'll happily swap hunts with anyone thanks for all the info appreciate it, cheers Mike