PDA

View Full Version : Whitetails North of Grand Forks

aceofspades1970
11-06-2006, 11:58 AM
We are leaving this Friday for a week long hunt just north of Grand Forks. Does anyone know if the whitetails have started rutting?

WoodOx
11-06-2006, 12:02 PM
I think theyre in the chasing phase - or pre-rut by other standards. From my experience of this area, they wont start "rutting" till around when you leave, the 10-14th. Usually remembrance day is a good marker from what ive seen.

Good luck - Post your results!

You hunting in Boundary creek/sandy creek?

aceofspades1970
11-06-2006, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm not sure where boundry creek or sandy creek are. We will be hunting neer Bunch Grass and Mnt. Burns.

~T-BONE~
11-06-2006, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm not sure where boundry creek or sandy creek are. We will be hunting neer Bunch Grass and Mnt. Burns.

Sand crk. (sandy) 8-15 is just out of town / Boundry is North of Greenwood (Eholt rd.) in 8-14. Unless there is a good weather change You will need some luck it seems the rut is getting later every year.. My bet would say catch the last week of the season! BTW there is supposed to be a cold front moving in next tuesday this should help! With the migration too....

pork n beans
11-06-2006, 09:51 PM
I hunted does there a few years ago. Sand Creek is close to town but had lot's of good habitat and sign. Bunch Grass is ok too but the good habitat seems concentrated in pockets. I think Sand is good because it backs onto Christina lake drainage and it is not too high in between. Boundary Creek gets to be abit of a narrow valley as you head further up the drainage where the two main creeks come together. ( I forget what they are called but it's obvious on a map. I met a guy who sets up a big hunt camp at the rec site by the bridge on the main road a few years ago. He has hunted there for like 15 years and they set up a big wall tent camp for 2.5 months every year there. He has lots of info on the area and is a real nice guy. Check if he's there and talk to him. I was there only for 6 days. If i went back i'd go to Sand Creek area. but keep an open mind. That's just my perception of the area. Use your spidey senses and you'll find em. Good luck and have a great trip it's a real pretty area to hunt and there's lots of country.

GoatGuy
11-07-2006, 12:03 AM
WT bucks are out sniffing and poking the does - good enough for some fun! :)

aceofspades1970
11-07-2006, 07:30 AM
Thanks for all of the information. I will post the results after we get back.

Mckinney Creek Adventures
11-07-2006, 06:19 PM
The Whiteys are starting to walk around with a stiffy!

WoodOx
11-07-2006, 08:39 PM
The Whiteys are starting to walk around with a stiffy!

Really? already?

Thats cool, it seems to me that mulies here around Kelowna arent even fully rutting yet. Last year today I shot a nice 4pt, and he was rutting, so youd think theyd be in, who knows.

mark
11-07-2006, 08:48 PM
A couple days ago, i saw a 4 point whitey with 4 does. Today i saw a huge non-typ mulie with 5 or 6 does, He was moving fast through the heavy alder, (No shot), I think the rut is starting around here!