PDA

View Full Version : High end hiking boots

blackbart
06-04-2012, 10:25 PM
Need to buy a new pair of hiking boots for extended back pack hunting in rugged terrain. My last couple of pairs have been Meindle's sp?? They have worked fine, but I am interested in feedback on a couple of questions:

1) What make and model has worked well for you?
2) Where in Southern BC do you buy your boots?

I am not so much worried about price, as I am worried about quality. Would like to buy a new pair within the next month so as to have them broken in prior to using them for what they are meant for.

Thanks for the responses.

BB

gutpile
06-04-2012, 10:33 PM
me to where to buy?

bc traper
06-04-2012, 10:37 PM
Might find somthing at Huntfest

RiverOtter
06-05-2012, 06:00 AM
In Meindl's, the Makalu and Canada are the better models for what you're describing. The island is a little less, but comes in size 13, which is a consideration for some; ME....

Fishers Hardware in Vernon is the Meindl dealer and has good pricing. AG Brooks in Vancouver is the only other distributor that I'm aware of.

If you are open to other brands, True Outdoors in Vernon, Kelowna and Penticton all carry high end boots like Scarpa, Mammot etc...

ryanb
06-05-2012, 06:13 AM
Meindl has a ton models that will fit the bill. Don't be fooled into only going for their hunting models. They all have a different fit and it is much more critical that you find the model that fits your foot type correctly. My first pair of meindls were Canada pros and I ended up hating them because they didn't fit right. I bought the Lhotse mfs because it fit my foot perfectly. It is also a lighter less stiff boot and it has been awesome for 5 years. Has done just fine on backpack hunts for goats caribou and stones.

Matty_ola
06-05-2012, 06:30 AM
I just picked up a pair of Lowa Tibex and couldnt be happier. I carry my pack everywhere I go and these boots are perfect for it.

Felt good right out of the box as well.

ncurrie
06-05-2012, 06:31 AM
Love my Meindl's and would never go back, You can buy them at fisher's hardware here in Vernon!

2chodi
06-05-2012, 07:04 AM
Love my Meindl's and would never go back, You can buy them at fisher's hardware here in Vernon!

Larry Fisher has made his way around a few sheep mountains too, so he can provide some good footwear advice.

shotgunjohn
06-05-2012, 07:45 AM
Bought a pair of Scarpa's as I have narrow feet and most boots such as Meindle's are generally too wide for me. Worked well on my sons goat hunt with lots of vertical climbing and crossing or going up and down talus slopes. Would not wear them where you are expecting a lot of level ground hiking as the shanks are pretty stiff. Got them at Valhalla Pure outfitters in Colwood here on the Island. When I asked about boots I was directed to a staff member that actually knew a lot about them.

2tins
06-05-2012, 08:45 AM
Lowas. They are tough to find but if you can they would be my recomendation. If you live near the line, do some digging and see where you can find them in washington or oregon. Good luck, 2tins.

ryanb
06-05-2012, 09:36 AM
I wanted to add another point to this discussion. There are tons of different brands of hiking boot that are good. Don't follow others advice on what to get, because feet are highly variable and every boot fits differently. Find something that is sturdy and has the features you want and make sure it fits RIGHT. Any boot is going to suck if it's too wide too narrow too stiff too soft FOR YOU.

Singleshotneeded
06-05-2012, 10:14 AM
A couple of boots you might want to consider are the Kenetrek Mountain Guide, a buddy has them and they're
comfortable and built like a tank...they'll last you for years! Another boot that's really grippy on rock and well
built, as well as comfortable, is the Lowa Bighorn Hunter GTX. One of these will last you for several years and
be great in the mountains.

David
06-05-2012, 11:25 AM
If by southern BC you mean the lower mainland, hopefully you're aware of the "Broadway Corridor" between Main St. & Cambie St. 6-8 stores to buy hiking boots.

There is a chain store, located in many malls, called "Atmosphere" - it is a subsiduary of one of the sporting goods stores (Sport Mart, Sport Check, something like that - believe it or not under the Canadian Tire Umbrella). Last time I was in there they actually had a handful of high end boots - Scarpa, Asolo, and something else. They have the usual buy one get one 50% off type of deal, so if $$$ is a concern might be worth checking out - just don't expect the salesperson knowledge of other stores.

I won't recommend a brand, because everyones feet are different, but I will say - check the soles!!!! I'm really unhappy with the performance of the vibram soles on my Scarpa SL3's on wet/slick terrain.

Me.

Duidery
06-05-2012, 05:53 PM
I have been really happy with the two pairs of Scarpas I have owned. I got mine from MEC.

Everett
06-05-2012, 07:02 PM
A couple of boots you might want to consider are the Kenetrek Mountain Guide, a buddy has them and they're
comfortable and built like a tank...they'll last you for years! Another boot that's really grippy on rock and well
built, as well as comfortable, is the Lowa Bighorn Hunter GTX. One of these will last you for several years and
be great in the mountains.

Woudn't waste the money on the kennetreks definatly not built like a tank on my third pair in three years. But on the upside amazing customer service and great warrenty but its a pain shipping them back every year for a new pair. If you hunt less than 40 days a year our you are quad/truck hunter they are the most comfortable boot ever. Was looking pretty hard at the Lowa's than a real cobbler moved into Cranbrook so instead I had several old pairs repaired and resoled so I am boot rich for a few more years.

Drop_Tine
06-05-2012, 07:32 PM
Lowa teibet pro gxt ... U gotta order them from the states .... Baker shoes ... Look em up on google ... You wont go wrong with lowa teibets!!!

swampthing
06-05-2012, 08:06 PM
I love my kenetrek mountain extreems but they do seem to wear the soles prematurely. I have a one year old pair that has the soles more worn than my old 3 year old pair. I will try the mountain guide model next. The comfort is awesome and break in time is next to nothing, like one hike.

BackPackHunter
06-05-2012, 08:18 PM
I vote for HanWags , with SuperFeet insoles,
no matter what boot, and how high end it is, toss the insoles and get SuperFeet !

ncurrie
06-05-2012, 08:23 PM
Bought a pair of Scarpa's as I have narrow feet and most boots such as Meindle's are generally too wide for me. Worked well on my sons goat hunt with lots of vertical climbing and crossing or going up and down talus slopes. Would not wear them where you are expecting a lot of level ground hiking as the shanks are pretty stiff. Got them at Valhalla Pure outfitters in Colwood here on the Island. When I asked about boots I was directed to a staff member that actually knew a lot about them.

I have very tiny narrow feet and the meindles fit perfectly right out of the box

BromBones
06-05-2012, 08:59 PM
I used Kenetrek Hardscrabble hikers steady last year, they got abused more than any boot I've ever owned and held up excellent. I believe the new Mountain Guide model has switched to a Vibram sole if I'm not mistaken and I think I will grab a pair for when I wear these ones out.

Lowas are another favorite of mine and are tough boots.

hms45in
06-06-2012, 08:43 AM
go with the meindl boots. Cabelas has a special built lineup of boots by meindl I have the alaskan and have had the canadian, both excellent. I have been on many sheep/goat hunts with buddies wearing lesser boots and when the going gets tough (rock fields, side hilling for miles, sliding down scee slopes, ect) the support and comfort of these boots kept me going while blisters where forming on less fortunate feet. there may be better/on par boots out there but I have not found them...

in my guiding days I saw more meindl boots worn by those in the hunting industry than any other.

It is very important to get the right size and then spend some time in them no matter what boot you get.

shamrock09
06-06-2012, 10:25 AM
Zamberlan Vioz boots are the only way to go! I've put mine through hell for three years and they still feel great! No break in time, waterproof, flexible, and comfy as hell! boots are in the $300 range and can be found at Mountain equipment co-op! Check them out! you won't be disappointed!

BackPackHunter
06-06-2012, 07:17 PM
Zamberlan Vioz boots are the only way to go! I've put mine through hell for three years and they still feel great! No break in time, waterproof, flexible, and comfy as hell! boots are in the $300 range and can be found at Mountain equipment co-op! Check them out! you won't be disappointed!

Thanks......I've been looking to try a pair on, they look as good as my HanWags, the 1024 & 1030 look like they might be my next set
(I try to stay a away from MEC but sometimes its unavoidable)
Have you ever tried HanWags, Shamrock09?

wos
06-06-2012, 08:49 PM
another vote for zamberlan boots mine are almost 15 years old and do need to be replaced but they proved the test of time and abuse.

one-shot-wonder
06-06-2012, 09:50 PM
Lots of high end boots to choose from in the stores mentioned already......pick up a set of Superfeet insoles they really help improve arch support and shock impact. I have a pair in everything from my hockey skates to my tennis shoes and in every pair of Asolo hiking boots I own.

Husky7mm
06-06-2012, 10:32 PM
I was very disappointed with the lowa tibets ...... The heel is too tall so they seem to almost turn on your feet when side Hilling for long periods. Tieing them extremely tight seems to help but pain will follow.... They also leak when walking in the tall wet grass. I am back to asolo and am happy, although they don't have a rubber rand, so 3-4 year of abuse and they are done. But really if you hike lots 3-4 years is plenty for any boot to last.

BIG-BUCK-CHUK
06-08-2012, 07:43 AM
For those who own Kenetrek boots, what is the sizing/fit like compared to running shoe sizing? Thanks in advance for your response!

fireguy
06-08-2012, 07:59 AM
I have a pair of solomon boots, I have had them for about 12 years I think, they are great and have lasted very well. In fact I have no plans on replacing them yet. I have had them on a few sheep hunts, a few goat hunts, many deer hunts, a few elk hunts, and a few moose hunts, through some very steep and rocky terrain.

When I look for good boots I don't even bother with "hunting" boots, I try and look at the mountianeering lines as I am very tough on boots and by doing this I seem to be doing something right.

Singleshotneeded
06-08-2012, 09:28 AM
Yeah Everett, the new Kenetrek Mountain Guides are supposed to be a lot sturdier than some of the boots
that company has put out in the past. My buddy was wondering about whether to get them because he had
a durability issue with them in the past but his new MG's he figures will last.

anglo-saxon
06-08-2012, 10:26 AM

We used Scarpa Manta's when I was in the Brit Army (back then, the Manta was a leather hiking style; now it is a synthetic mountaineering boot - not what you want at all). I loved them. Outstanding boot! The closest you'll get to that boot now is the Scarpa SL M3. It comes in different width fittings, so be sure to try them on. We used them with a full gaiter, which was great for keeping the pants dry and the moisture out of the boot. Kind of like this:

http://www.military-kit.co.uk/images/camouflage_gaiter.jpg

I have quite wide feet at the front, but skinny heels, plus I have bone spurs on my heels, so I am pretty hard to fit boots for and will never buy a pair that I can't try on. The Scarpa's fit like a glove and I used them for years!

Right now I'm using two brands:

1. Hanwag Special Forces GTX. Another excellent boot, although I did find they were a little more narrow in the front that I would have liked. A full day of hill walking after they got completely submerged in water (not by choice) did the trick and they fit very well now. They are a great spring, fall, winter west coast boot, or a two season interior boot. I have worn them down to around -25C to -30C and they were good as long as I was moving. Not so great when stationary at such temps, but then few boots are. They will run you around $400/pair. Some companies, like this one in the States (http://www.lathropandsons.com/catalog/index.php) will fit you by using photos and foot tracings. It can be done. Just check the return policy first in case it doesn't work out.

http://www.shoppingbank.com/sb/im/bi/mfs/product/2258200.jpg

2. Lowa Desert Elite. An outstanding, rugged warm weather boot. Can be had for around $200+/pair.

http://www.lowaboots.com/images/products/2308780411_l.jpg

Because of availability issues, though, and the use you intend, I'd recommend going with a pair of Scarpas. They can be had at MEC for around $300.

http://images.mec.ca/fluid/customers/c822/5010-273/generated/5010-273_BOR00_view1_720x720.jpg

Good luck!

Everett
06-08-2012, 02:20 PM
My most recent pair is a hybrid between the The mountain extreme and the mountain guide they survived a half season of hunting last year so if they survive this year I will be happy.

Yeah Everett, the new Kenetrek Mountain Guides are supposed to be a lot sturdier than some of the boots
that company has put out in the past. My buddy was wondering about whether to get them because he had
a durability issue with them in the past but his new MG's he figures will last.

tanker
06-10-2012, 01:20 PM
Danner i have my hood winter lites 200g if insulation there the most comfortable thing and my dad has had his pair for over 15 years and stil hasn't redrafted them and there are soo many boots you can choose from. i have the worst feet in the world i have a foot one size bigger than the other because of a bone spur in my heel and these are comfortable!!! you can create your own customized boot too thats my 2cents tho

chris26262
06-28-2012, 09:08 PM
I am plagued right now with boot questions and what to do's...agh! I bought a pair of Scarpa Liskamm's early this year. Loved em! but in the end didnt work out for me in the hills. So now the hunt continues for a good alpine boot. I live in Kamloops and dont have much at my dispense for boot dealers(wholesale sports. they carry the Lowa tibet. I would like a taller boot). Ive traveled to Vernon to try on a pair of Meindel "Canada"... not bad but foot seemed to slide around in there a bit and the size down was too small... Next stop is Kelowna to try out the Kenetrek dealer there... So I have read in a previous post about the "broadway conector) on the island... A bunch of stores that have good boots. What brands are carried in these stores and is it worth the trip? Im interested in the Meindel Glockner GTX, Lowa sheep hunter, and Kentrek Mtn guid or mtn extream.

North
06-28-2012, 09:34 PM
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/kenetrek-boots-mountain-400-10”-hunting-boots-waterproof-insulated-leather-for-men~p~4675w/?filterString=s~kenetrek%2F&colorFamily=01

These boots are a good deal. IF you go to the main website page they have a coupon for an additional 25 percent off.

If I didn't already have a decent pair I would be ordering these.

backcountryhunter
06-28-2012, 09:47 PM
I grew up in Portland and so Danners were the "standard" for many years then 2 years ago I tried on some Lowa "Sheep Hunters" and "Tibets" and my world changed instantly - Compare Danners to Lowas ?? go ahead and "try" !! the Tibet looks not very tall next to the Sheep Hunter but they are actually an 8" boot which is all a person really needs IMO - I purchased a pair of each and they go with me on all hunts now - I put "SuperFeet" insoles in everything I walk in or on, I use the "Greens" but that is a personal decision based on your own foot strike pattern - I tried on Kenetrek, nowhere near as comfortable or as well made - the Lowa might feel stiff soled at first but in not very many steps you will learn to love it

GoatGuy
06-28-2012, 09:52 PM
Scarpas have been my fav, only boots that seem to last more than one fall.

Get 'em from Robertson's in Kelowna.

springpin
06-28-2012, 09:58 PM
I'm big on Garmont boots.

shottyshooter
06-30-2012, 01:10 PM
foot seemed to slide around in there a bit and the size down was too small... .

Nothing will fit you perfect - I've learned over the years that my big feet fit into boots that my heel slides around in. I just buy the inserts that raise your heel up and it's all good.

chris26262
06-30-2012, 01:43 PM
Yea, I tried most everything I could research. Different ways of lacing up my boots, different inserts (super feet) with 3/4 insole then another full. Which is too many. Think socks. Heavy socks. I understand that most boots won't fit exactly perfect with out a little tweak here and there. I've had the best learning expiernce so far talking with Paul from AJ Brooks. He was awesome. Being that I live in Kamloops and he s in Vancouver he had me trace my foot out on paper and measure it then scan and email him. He then told me what I needed. Now I play the waiting game to try on a pair of Glockner s that he has to order in. Hope they are the ones!!! I'm running out of break in time!