PDA

View Full Version : Camping and Black Bear hunting

JIL_24/7
06-04-2012, 03:55 PM
Hi Guys,
I am planning on taking couple of young guys out next week for a little camping/black bear hunting. I was hoping some of you might be able to point me in the right direction seeing as this is there first experience camping and hunting. Are there any places within 2 hours of the Lower Mainland where I would be able to give them a great experience in the great outdoors? PM me if you'd like. I just want these young guys to fall in love with the outdoors. Thanks.

Steeleco
06-04-2012, 04:44 PM
There's plenty of organized and off the grid places to camp on either side of Harrison lake. It's likely best if you can go mid week as there will be less people around but you can still get away from the crowds if you try hard enough. Find an area where you see plenty of scat on the road and work that area.

Good luck.

East Van Ray
06-04-2012, 05:10 PM
Hmmm ... Between Squamish and Pemberton is also a good place to check out ... If u have time Birkenhead Lake

WaderGator
06-04-2012, 05:13 PM
saw some poop up foley creek FSR in chilliwack a couple weeks ago. Some nice camping spots up there too

swampdonkey
06-04-2012, 05:29 PM
Anywhere up off the coq

NaStY
06-04-2012, 05:47 PM
Hi Guys,
I am planning on taking couple of young guys out next week for a little camping/black bear hunting. I was hoping some of you might be able to point me in the right direction seeing as this is there first experience camping and hunting. Are there any places within 2 hours of the Lower Mainland where I would be able to give them a great experience in the great outdoors? PM me if you'd like. I just want these young guys to fall in love with the outdoors. Thanks.

Well if they dont already love the outdoors, the rain will likely not go over well. That said, there are many places a person can go and hunt. After all its hunting not killing.

Check out google earth and find a nice clear cut that faces south. The further from the roads the better.

Jelvis
06-04-2012, 06:15 PM
In the Lower Mainland Region 2: Black bear are quite abundant all through the Fraser Valley but access is tuff with private land and firearm restrictions can frustrate would be hunters.
Hunting in general improves as the hunter looks further up into the mountains on either side of the Fraser Canyon, along Harrison Lake, and on up into the Lillooet country, black bear are abundant in the valley bottoms of these areas.
MU 2-2 has some good black bear hunting. Run the old mining and logging roads.
MU 2-6 Squamish River, fairly good black bear, up the logging road from Squamish beyond Cheekeye to the Elaho, a main tributary.
Mu 2-9 has lots of black bears. Access from Harrison into Chehalis Lake.
Region 3
MU 3-15 has good pops of black bears on the Nahatlatch main runs back 50 or so k. Lytton-North bend backroads
JelBlackbearsarecool

Wrj
06-04-2012, 08:13 PM
I've had luck up the Chehalis/Harrison this spring, also good camping. Hopefully the weather turns for the better this weekend! Good luck!

boxhitch
06-04-2012, 08:27 PM
Am I alone hear in thinking camping and hunting are two different endeavours ?
I remember going camping as a kid, no time for hunting. Building a good camp takes a lot of time.
shelter construction, finding good firewood, cutting kindling, fire building , table making, wood crafting of poles, walking staffs, sling shots, knife and axe skills ............
Careful consideration is needed for a good latrine even.
Bush skills are a hobby in itself.