PDA

View Full Version : Irish Setter Boots

FirePower
06-04-2012, 01:05 PM
I am looking for input here I know this has come up before but this is a bit of a new spin. I am finally in need,after 30 years, of new boots. My old moccasin toe Irish Setters have sung their swan song, I know technology has come along way in 30 years I would like to stick with the brand what can you lads tell me about the verious models I will be using them for fall and early winter hunting and hiking

Thank You
FP

06-04-2012, 01:32 PM
I have the Irish Setter Elk Trackers. They are on year 6-7 i cant remember. They are still kicking and water proof. Tread is worn. My only issue is they are a tad heavy

WaderGator
06-04-2012, 01:41 PM
I have shadow trek's. most comfortable footwear ive ever owned hands down. Lightweight and waterproof but possibly not warm enough for winter time if your sitting for a while. I have been eyeing up the elk trackers but theyre just not in the budget right now. red wing shoes in langley had them on for 179 a while ago, I regret not pulling the trigger

06-04-2012, 02:09 PM
I have shadow trek's. most comfortable footwear ive ever owned hands down. Lightweight and waterproof but possibly not warm enough for winter time if your sitting for a while. I have been eyeing up the elk trackers but theyre just not in the budget right now. red wing shoes in langley had them on for 179 a while ago, I regret not pulling the trigger

That there is the trouble, A guy really needs 3 pair of boots..
Coastal guy: Summer, fall hikers... Winter warm boots and gummies
Interior guy: Summer, fall hikers... Winter warm boots and snow boots.

WaderGator
06-04-2012, 02:13 PM
That there is the trouble, A guy really needs 3 pair of boots..
Coastal guy: Summer, fall hikers... Winter warm boots and gummies
Interior guy: Summer, fall hikers... Winter warm boots and snow boots.

well I guess I have work boots and gummies too but those don't count. In fact my gummies have gone from $190 when I bought them to $229 now. Talk about a good investment! :mrgreen:

r106
06-04-2012, 02:39 PM
I have the elk trackers and so far I like them. I haven't had them long enough for a proper review but so far so good

hunter1993ap
06-04-2012, 03:15 PM
i had a pair of elk trackers and they lasted two and a half years. they had a decent fit but rubbed on the back of my heels. i wore the sole out and the leather by the toe is almost gone. they stayed fairly dry but would not stay dry for a full day. they dont have nearly as much support as the kenetrek boots i have now. i have really strong ankles and have never rolled an ankle but i can see it being a problem for some people with heavy loads. i love the kenetreks and probably will never own another pair of elk trackers. the price of the kenetreks is outrageous but they preform great. my dad just got a new pair of elk trackers and it looks like it might have different leather than his old ones, and they leak like running shoes. i am not impressed with the new boots he has. mabey with some boot wax they will be better but they are nothing like the first pair because i never treated mine for the first fall and they never leaked. i would recomend the old boots i had but not the new ones dad just bought.

Steeleco
06-04-2012, 04:49 PM
I too am on my second pair, the first pair are old and tattered but still fit like slippers. They no longer repel water so I use them for spring bear and early Sept hunts. My other pair are 5 years old and still work like new. I don't recall the name of either unit, but if you get a pair that fit your feet and your budget, the name is irrelevant!!!

Hammerhead
06-04-2012, 04:54 PM
I bought a pair of the elk trackers spring 2010 and they are the 600 gram thinsulate. I like them for the colder weather as they are definitely to warm for the warmer weather. Would have got the 200's if is was to do it again, add warm socks and your good to go. I bought a pair of Meindle's for a sheep hunt last season as i didn't feel that the leather and support of the trackers would give me the support I need. Both ankles have seen bad sprains and crutches twice each. I know it's not apples to apples comparing these two boots as they are different price range and meant for 2 different kinds of hunting. The leather in the elks has gone quite soft for the amount of use I have given them but they have stayed dry using the Meindle wax. Best of luck with your choice
HH

J_T
06-04-2012, 05:32 PM
For elk I use Hoffmans/Schnees pac boots. Cheap boots work while your hiking, but put a load on and they fall apart.

shed-hunter1
06-04-2012, 07:03 PM
irish setters are great boots i use the shadow treks but go through a pair a year i hike more than the average guy they dont stand up to heavy duty hiking

nano
06-04-2012, 07:17 PM
I got a pair of the 600 gr elk trackers and cant say enough good things about them. They fit well and are not to heavy and do not overheat. The support on the boots are so good that last year during my rehab for my broken ankle my elk trackers became me training footwear.