PDA

View Full Version : goat advice

DLP
06-04-2012, 11:09 AM
Hi,
So i have been frequenting a certain area over the last two months where i regularly see 3-7 goats on a small mountain about 500metres up from the trail at the bottom. In this same location below them is an old growth forest with a dried up river bed (20' wide) and adjacent to this is a small meadow about 1 acre. This location is next to sizable river valley with steep mountains flanking it on both sides. This river bed and meadow have heavy signs of elk and deer.

My question is, come hunting season will this area still be a location where i will find the goats and the elk/deer? Or will they likely move from here as fall approaches?

thanks for any advice as i am new to goat and elk hunting.

Moose Guide
06-04-2012, 04:42 PM
Unless something chases them out I would expect to find them there in sept. Although elk do have a knack for disappearing just when you figure you have them all figured out!

firstshot
06-05-2012, 10:32 PM
The goats will be looking for a place to winter, usually on a south facing slope where they will get some sun.

hms45in
06-06-2012, 08:29 AM
I can speak about the goats mostly. In my experience they tend to stay in the same general area for most of the summer fall season. it is true that if winters are severe they can move to better wind swept areas....but depending on when you saw them (i assume summer) than they will be there come fall.

some other folks are better qualified to comment on the deer and elk.