PDA

View Full Version : Cowichan river dangerous dogs

06-04-2012, 10:00 AM
Morning,
I am writing this not to ask what to do about this because i am doing t now. I am writing this as a warning to peole so you dont have to go through what i did.
Im going to do my best not to glorify this and i will include a specific address.

5260 Riverbottom road, where the powerlines cross the river.
The Mitchells have posted a sign this season. If you stop and read it you will notice it clearly grants permission to cross 25 yds of their land to fish. It is a rather nicely worded sign, if you stop and read it. My wife and i noticed this sign a few weeks ago, we finally decided to fish it. Going down you notice a trail cam looking back at the trail. Just below that you see a sign stating "No Dogs" but by then you are down and off his property and on a large Gravel bar. At this point I had my dog with me but we were already on the beach so i thought nothing of it.

At the top of the stretch my wife and Lab and i notice a German sheppard, then another dog and finally a guy driving up the beach on a quad. The dogs imeadiatly surround Chase and one bites him. I walk into the water with chase's collar in my hand. The dogs are right on him, and i am trying to direct my dog too the water. This goes on with more bites to Chase, yet Chase is being held by me and i am trying to figure a way out hoping the guy will corral his dogs.
This is where he tells me that is why he has a no dogs sign. Fair enough except that i am not on his property any more. Eventually we get out.

I can tell you it was one of the most unpredictable situations i have ever been in. Fortunatly his dogs 4 bites they gave my dog did not puncture him. I have told this story to a Co worker of mine that lives close to there and fishes the river. He had read the sign as well and thought the same as me. He also told me those dogs have run up and down the beach barking at him in his drift boat.
Reguardless of what you may think of my specific actions, I am typing this for only one reason and that is to warn everyone that reads this that this is a dangerous place to be. Stop by and read the sign, you will see it is inviting. But weather you have a dog or not, Weather you say "this is public land" or not.
Those dogs are not friendly at all and if there was kids there?

Take this for what it is, a warning that this sign is putting people in Danger. That is it.
There is a bit more of the same to this story but it was just me trying to talk my way out of this situation.
Dru

06-04-2012, 10:01 AM
PS i know i have been in the middle of a few "Bad dog" threads but this just happened on Saturday

Spy
06-04-2012, 10:17 AM
Hey Dru glad to hear you & your pup are in good shape after you ordeal! All I can say is that when I go & hit the river & those dogs come out to attack me ,my dog or kids they will die ! Thats just me I am glad to hear you are OK !

Bow Walker
06-04-2012, 10:24 AM
I think the least that should happen is that the guy who owns the property should post a "No Dogs" sign way back at the road.

Glad you and yours are OK.

06-04-2012, 10:42 AM
That is exactly what i am saying. Take the friendly sign down and put up a Beware of dogs sign.

huntcoop
06-04-2012, 10:57 AM
Is the friendly sign guy the attack dog guy?

06-04-2012, 10:59 AM
Yes i asked and he said his Wife put up the sign.
Bright side is maybe he wont be there long. Google.

http://www.kimjohannsen.com/List/RiverbottomRoad5260_4.html#LinkHit

Bow Walker
06-04-2012, 11:05 AM
Interesting place. Maybe you should look into it? Price seems reasonable......

Stone Sheep Steve
06-04-2012, 11:05 AM
Bear spray isn't just for bears.
Glad everyone is okay!

SSS

Bow Walker
06-04-2012, 11:13 AM
Yup - what he said. ^

06-04-2012, 11:18 AM
That is exactly what i think i am going to do. I will never go back there, but after this experiance i never want to be un armed again.
As well i am going to phone the RCMP to have those signs dealt with. It is inviting people into danger. And that has been proven to me by my co worker who lives right there

PS I forewarded the address to my dad who is retired! maybe he will buy it!

Spy
06-04-2012, 12:08 PM
So what would the law say if you had of used a knife, to protect yourself & dog from this attack! I once broke my fly rod on a dog on the Cowichen river ! Thank goodness my rod was a Redington & it was replaced under warranty !

field marshal
06-04-2012, 12:19 PM
PS i know i have been in the middle of a few "Bad dog" threads but this just happened on Saturday

835, Vicious dogs and too many locked gates in Cowichan country??:confused:
Perhaps you should just spend your days off, south of the Shawnigan Lake cutoff, in future??
Just sayin". Cheers----Field Marshal.

06-04-2012, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the input Tony. Too bad you dont fish, I have a good spot for ya

Spy
06-04-2012, 12:35 PM
835, Vicious dogs and too many locked gates in Cowichan country??:confused:
Perhaps you should just spend your days off, south of the Shawnigan Lake cutoff, in future??
Just sayin". Cheers----Field Marshal.

Thanks for the input Tony. Too bad you dont fish, I have a good spot for ya
LOL funny how some just are not helpfull !

Aheny
06-04-2012, 12:38 PM
Bear spray isn't just for bears.
Glad everyone is okay!

SSS

Ha, I was just going to say the same thing.

06-04-2012, 01:59 PM
Well, i called the RCMP. Only to see if either they could have a no dogs sign at the top of the hill. Just a chat. Told them what i wrote here.
they cant do anything. Pretty much what i expected and that is why i put it here. Just as a warning.

Bow Walker
06-04-2012, 05:57 PM
Take a black permanent marker and "fix" the sign..................

06-05-2012, 08:44 AM
I will, when i go up next.
I work with a heavily involved fly fisher and gave him my story Via FlyBC. The same as above story, i just copy pasted it. He has passed it out to some places.

To be clear, the point of this was solely and only as a warning to guys on here that fish the Cowichan. This sign is new and inviting and in my eyes very bad news. I have learned more to this that just reiderates my point. Not any more,,, though i am going to buy some bear spray now :)

steel_ram
06-05-2012, 09:45 AM
Nice of the guy to allow people to cross his property. A lot won't! Too bad about the dogs. Hopefully he doesn't replace the inviting sign to the one we find much more common over this complaint.

proguide66
06-05-2012, 09:54 AM
Good thread , I wouldnt want to go offering myself up to a shepard while alone in waders. I have a scar from a 'nice' doggy sheppard that pulled all the meat outt my hand via a tear he made below my thumb...

06-05-2012, 09:59 AM
In this case SR, I have forewarded this to a co worker who has also had trouble with these dogs, he lives just up river from these dogs.
I hope he replaces this sign with the one you are refering to. That is my whole point.

invite me to get eaten,,,,, cool. Invite me to where aggressive dogs run free,,, cool,,,,, And it isnt just me. Other people feel the same way.
What if a guy and his 5 year old went down there after reading this sign? and these dogs surrounded them like they have my co worker? At least he had a boat.

Maybe you think it is ok to invite people to this but i dont.
I

proguide66
06-05-2012, 10:06 AM
I think maybe a guy could make freinds with the doggies and give em some 'neon green doggy treat in a bowl' ?? lmao

06-05-2012, 10:12 AM
Well, over this. I have done all of what i feel nessary. The place is for sale so he wont be there long anywho. That sign made my Co worker think it had sold already because his history with the guy was less friendly then the sign. Maybe the next owner will grant safe access maye they wont. Its a great strech of river though, But i know that river well and there are better places to be then there.

06-05-2012, 10:35 AM
Can see in real estate pics the dogs and good ambush spots by them,mags in bathroom are mens fitness not hunting or fishing mags so you know he's trying to be a man.If the place does'nt sell,try the it smells like weed and chemicals around there call to cops,they might be bored of shootin bears and try the dog's as they are being attacked.

Foxton Gundogs
06-06-2012, 07:33 AM
Nice house and property. love the greenhouse, bet you could grow some "interesting" plants in there, probably should have dangerous dogs to protect your "tomatoes"

Bow Walker
06-06-2012, 09:02 AM
Another thought here............If these dogs are attacking other dogs and people there should be a means to either take them away from the owner or have them put down - legally that is.

Not so?

06-06-2012, 09:24 AM
Another thought here............If these dogs are attacking other dogs and people there should be a means to either take them away from the owner or have them put down - legally that is.

Not so?

That is the troubls,,,, Since my dog did not get trashed he only got bit 4-5 times you cant do anything. Hence my repeated explination that this is just a warning to people.

The stripped down naked truth is my dog only got bit and not in a full blown loosing battle.... We were on public land...... that owner did nothing to stop it.... but there is no "Proof" of the situation. I have no idea how they would have acted if we did not have a dog.

Dangerous situation= 2 dogs, one biting mine and an owner doing nothing to stop it. And then when we were trying to leave he was driving back on his quad and was half way to us by the time we got back to the trail,,,,,,,, Run off the beach is how i thought.

Bow Walker
06-06-2012, 09:41 AM
Hmmm, you've done what you can. Hope others will see and heed this warning.

Again - glad no one got hurt.

madrona sh
06-06-2012, 12:40 PM
That sounds like a place to avoid.
Like you said, there are other nice places to go.
Oh a heads up to you. A lot of properties in the Cowichan Valley are private land under rivers, lakes etc
due to the railway and the Douglas treaty so he could very well own the riverbank and under the water too.

Anyway glad your dog is OK.

06-06-2012, 01:20 PM
Thanks Madrona,

I havent looked into it that deep, simply because it wouldnt change anything for me. But i think,,, i repeat I THINK! that The Cowichan coridor is Park in this location. If it was worse i would have looked deeper into it. But that exact thing did cross my mind in the truck at the top of the hill.

Tikka270wsm
06-06-2012, 09:40 PM
I'm glad you decided to pass this warning along Dru. Might save someone a whole lot of trouble. When you stopped by the other day and filled me in on the situation, the more I thought about it, the more my blood boiled. The fact that there is a welcoming sign to becon people in to a dangerous situation is not only wreckless but down right evil! I said it the other day and I'll say it again.....It's a damn good thing I wasn't there with you. That could have been a real shitstorm!

RENO
06-06-2012, 09:55 PM
Morning,
I am writing this not to ask what to do about this because i am doing t now. I am writing this as a warning to peole so you dont have to go through what i did.
Im going to do my best not to glorify this and i will include a specific address.

5260 Riverbottom road, where the powerlines cross the river.
The Mitchells have posted a sign this season. If you stop and read it you will notice it clearly grants permission to cross 25 yds of their land to fish. It is a rather nicely worded sign, if you stop and read it. My wife and i noticed this sign a few weeks ago, we finally decided to fish it. Going down you notice a trail cam looking back at the trail. Just below that you see a sign stating "No Dogs" but by then you are down and off his property and on a large Gravel bar. At this point I had my dog with me but we were already on the beach so i thought nothing of it.

At the top of the stretch my wife and Lab and i notice a German sheppard, then another dog and finally a guy driving up the beach on a quad. The dogs imeadiatly surround Chase and one bites him. I walk into the water with chase's collar in my hand. The dogs are right on him, and i am trying to direct my dog too the water. This goes on with more bites to Chase, yet Chase is being held by me and i am trying to figure a way out hoping the guy will corral his dogs.
This is where he tells me that is why he has a no dogs sign. Fair enough except that i am not on his property any more. Eventually we get out.

I can tell you it was one of the most unpredictable situations i have ever been in. Fortunatly his dogs 4 bites they gave my dog did not puncture him. I have told this story to a Co worker of mine that lives close to there and fishes the river. He had read the sign as well and thought the same as me. He also told me those dogs have run up and down the beach barking at him in his drift boat.
Reguardless of what you may think of my specific actions, I am typing this for only one reason and that is to warn everyone that reads this that this is a dangerous place to be. Stop by and read the sign, you will see it is inviting. But weather you have a dog or not, Weather you say "this is public land" or not.
Those dogs are not friendly at all and if there was kids there?

Take this for what it is, a warning that this sign is putting people in Danger. That is it.
There is a bit more of the same to this story but it was just me trying to talk my way out of this situation.
Dru

Did you inform the RCMP/CO 's about this situation.

06-07-2012, 08:34 AM
Yes i did Reno.

Yep Travis you were one of the people i was thinkin about right after!

Peter Pepper
06-07-2012, 08:58 PM
So has the sign been changed to "Private Property No Trespasing" yet? Cause it will be soon, imo.

nor'wester
06-07-2012, 09:03 PM
I like the pool just up from there...however, I had the same kind of run in what that piece-of-shit shepherd 4 of 5 years ago with my dog. I fished that spot several times and he would come out and be somewhat pushy, but not too aggressive. Then there was one time when he just decided that he was going to devour my springer...I decided there were easier places on the river to fish! I chuckled when I saw your post because before I even read it I had a feeling that your story was going to be exactly what it was because I had already experienced it myself.

Tikka270wsm
06-07-2012, 09:32 PM
So has the sign been changed to "Private Property No Trespasing" yet? Cause it will be soon, imo.

Doesn't really matter if he does post signs. There are other ways to get down to that run and people will go there as it's a fishy stretch. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always been under the impression that no one owns the beach on the Cowichan up to the high water mark.

anglo-saxon
06-07-2012, 09:33 PM
Funny, there's even one of the shepherds in his real estate pic. If he knows his dogs behave like that, he should have them under control, not make excuses fore them.

Tikka270wsm
06-07-2012, 09:47 PM
Funny, there's even one of the shepherds in his real estate pic. If he knows his dogs behave like that, he should have them under control, not make excuses fore them.

Exactly! And at the very least.....get off his quad and try to stop his dogs from attacking when they do.

06-08-2012, 08:24 AM
So, That brings to three very different people who have had the same experiance with this guy.

anglo-saxon
06-08-2012, 09:02 AM
Just as well he's leaving. I'd be interested in that place. It looks like a decent set-up. I'd surely love to be back on an acreage. The easement deviding the land is off-putting, though.

06-08-2012, 09:05 AM
Anglo, Buy IT!!!!
there is a beautiful run through it, you could have yer own Steel head pool and 4 trout holes! And then maybe you could let me through!

huntcoop
06-08-2012, 09:14 AM
...If the place does'nt sell,try the it smells like weed and chemicals around there call to cops...

It even boasts an "underground emergency shelter" :lol:

06-08-2012, 09:20 AM
It even boasts an "underground emergency shelter" :lol:

That makes more sense then you know! :)