PDA

View Full Version : What trollers have you worked on in the past ?

dryflyguy57
06-02-2012, 08:30 AM
I see a few members decked on trollers over the years . Curious when and what boats ( while we can still recall ) . I started on the Goldstream for 2 years out of Victoria starting in 1977 then moved to Masset and fished on the Mona M for another couple before buying my own boat . Who knows maybe I was the guy impatiently waiting for you to get off the phone in Bamfield . Good times had by most and an experience I wouldn't trade for anything .

wrenchhead
06-02-2012, 09:53 AM
I worked on the royal venture for 2 summers when I was 16/17 long lining black cod , one heck of an experience for a interior boy and good cash in return for hard work.

dakoda62
06-02-2012, 11:12 AM
Gustav, halibut longliner. Rollerskate, Gillnet, Atomic 2, troller Fnatasy 1 troller, all out of Rupert early 70's

hardnocks
06-02-2012, 11:39 AM
I decked on the valley queen out of port alberni 1970

Ruger4
06-02-2012, 11:55 AM
Good times had by most and an experience I wouldn't trade for anything .

once you've been on the ocean , its an irreplacebale experience , I agree....................tough to explain unless you've been there ,
thumbing through old gillnetting day photos, man if these photos could talk, good post !!

proguide66
06-02-2012, 12:58 PM
Arctic 2 , mid 80's , Bamfiled/Tofino we dumped usually. Ice trawler.

Salty
06-02-2012, 01:01 PM
Not for pay but for play; spent some good times on retired WCVI troller Sea Lion no 111. A couple other retirees still kept up nicely at our last village are the North Island Star and Open Seas 11.

dryflyguy57
06-02-2012, 03:38 PM
Not for pay but for play; spent some good times on retired WCVI troller Sea Lion no 111. A couple other retirees still kept up nicely at our last village are the North Island Star and Open Seas 11.
North island Star , The Wayne Gretzky of salmon trolling . Can't remember his name , Tom ----- . Anyhow good to see some old boat names , was known to be the best kept small boat fleet in the world in it's day .

kyleklassen
06-02-2012, 06:23 PM
EXODUS...troller.. and LILLY H ...troller longliner.1990-1996

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/scan01591.jpg

Shooter
06-02-2012, 06:30 PM
I've decked on the North Cape, Kiley Rand, Ocean's Edge, and C-Joy also

Ken Rant
06-02-2012, 06:32 PM
evan martin!

Ken Rant
06-02-2012, 06:33 PM
douglas ross mostly

Wild Images
06-02-2012, 07:42 PM
81-82 Gallows Point out of Crofton

Steelwheels
06-02-2012, 09:13 PM
My dads old Gillnetter the Karen M...out of Ladner early 50's...trips to Rivers Inlet as a young child..

Ruger4
06-03-2012, 06:49 AM
My dads old Gillnetter the Karen M...out of Ladner early 50's...trips to Rivers Inlet as a young child..

are you from Ladner ?

Steelwheels
06-03-2012, 08:10 AM
are you from Ladner ?

Dad was born on Deas Island... Grandparents lived in Ladner area after coming from the Old Country..1925

Salty
06-03-2012, 10:57 AM
North island Star , The Wayne Gretzky of salmon trolling . Can't remember his name , Tom ----- . Anyhow good to see some old boat names , was known to be the best kept small boat fleet in the world in it's day .

Don't know the whole history of the 'Star dryfly but I believe her last owner that fished her was Ed Gordon out of Sointula. Spring salmon screamed when they saw the North Island Star comming :mrgreen::mrgreen: The boat is retired and still in the family and still in very nice shape thanks to how well Mr Gordon kept her.

RustyBrit
06-03-2012, 09:41 PM
Spent a week of the summer of 2000 I think it was on the Forus from Quadra Island when I was 15. I still have a soft spot in my heart for the lines of the wooden trollers.

patbrennan
06-04-2012, 08:39 AM
Spent two seasons on the Bobola out of Victoria, quite an experience for a 14/15 year old kid!

sceddy
06-04-2012, 07:51 PM
Ocna Jade, Admar, Sylou, Crystal Star 88-92

Jeff88
06-04-2012, 08:03 PM
spent one season on a troller ,cant remember the name ..we were off of winter harbour in 92 ..i fished the whole season and was so sick of cleaning salmon i never sport fished for 5 years after that

Moosestick
06-04-2012, 08:50 PM
I decked on the Gentle Breeze out of Port Albernie & the Esto Utopia out of Sooke

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
06-04-2012, 08:57 PM
worked on the CR FISHER, KATRINA LESLIE, SEA SEARCH ,NATALIA, juniper 2 some good time and some "perfect storm" times.....

bigslim
06-04-2012, 09:30 PM
Sandra Carol, Ocean Trader, Azulemar and the Cowichan. Uclulet best times I can't remember LOL!!. A real eye opener for a 15 yr old Greenhorn

IronNoggin
06-06-2012, 10:42 AM
More trollers here than I ever would have guessed! Recognize more than a few of the boat names alright.

I've been on many. Started off way back shortly after The Missuz and I moved down here from the Arctic. Had a couple Buddies who trolled, and one of their constant complaints was in regards to the various companies that placed sea-sick, in-the-way observers out with Area G. Decided to tackle that, so created a company to do so. Engaged a good bunch, ex-deckies, skips and folks that were already "water hardened". Managed to run Archipelago and the others right off, and had a hell of a LOT of fun doing so! :twisted:
Also managed to lose money pretty well every season, but did get to ride with most of The Best at one time or another... Too many boats to ever recall them all...

Better than a decade ago, one of the Gentz I had gotten to know started off with saying: I realize you don't actually commercial fish, but...
Made me an offer I couldn't refuse, and the rest as they say is history. Still with that Man aboard the Storm Dancer. A LOT of VERY Good times over the years! :mrgreen:

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa386/IronNoggin/ErnieandStormDancer.jpg

Picture of the Dancer and Ernie Ross dockside in Zeballos, Good Buddy who skips the Royal Quest.

Sadly, the gov is doing it's damnest to force this particular fleet off the Big Pond once and for all - that while actually promoting the various bag fleets. This was one of the toughest (if not THE Toughest) seasons out there for all of us. Between PSC rollbacks, saving threatened runs for the FN's, clawing back numbers for the recreational sector and the newly created racially segregated troll fishery on the WCVI, extremely limited time windows, and the imposition of "effort control" (boat days), we saw little better than two weeks of actual fishing time. Lots of the old ones are gone now, and a great many are following in their bootprints. Methinks it won't be too far off until the day when the gov realizes their ambition of making us extinct. But some of us, myself included, live by the mantra of "Last Man Standing" and will continue as long as we possibly can. Perhaps a fool's errand, but dammit, that way of life is so bloody ENJOYABLE!!

Cheers to the Men & Women of the Troll Fleets!
Nog

06-06-2012, 11:41 AM
Ambitious, Salmon, Shrimp
Royal Hunter, Salmon
Cold Fish, Salmon, Herring, Prawns

shooter300
06-06-2012, 12:39 PM
Decked on the Nordic Star, and the April Anne in the mid 80's, Excellent experience.

dryflyguy57
06-07-2012, 08:55 AM
Decked on the Nordic Star, and the April Anne in the mid 80's, Excellent experience.

Now there was a true high liner . Always in the stern and pulling fish .

Fozzie
06-07-2012, 10:27 PM
In the 70's decked on the Ramona Dawn owned by Doug Dickson and skipped by his younger brother Craig. Craig had a lot to do with refining the Apex lure which was manufactured by Jack Gaunt of Hot Spot Lures. Then decked on the freezer troller the Dagan for a number of years. Mostly fished off the Goose Islands and Charlottes. On the Dagan when not trolling for salmon we either packed during the herring season or dragged for plankton with the Westerly Wind.

Laurence_Erickson
06-07-2012, 11:53 PM
Hmmm late 70's to mid 80's .dream boat 2 katchmar 2 donnie june whahoo clara c 2 . It was a greta start as a kid for sure.

thunderheart
06-08-2012, 06:53 AM
decked on seine boat windward star many yrs ago . leased boats ie the kokanee inside troller..skipper/owner prawn boat "scotty"..ran packers for yrs and yrs .. "capella no.1 and bertha g

shantz
06-08-2012, 09:31 AM
Spent most of my time crabbing and on halibut up north but I did a lot of trolling when I was younger on the Ingaborg K, Pauline V and the Canada 101. Also fished tuna on the Vicious Fisher, which sunk in 2011.

kyleklassen
06-08-2012, 07:15 PM
decked on seine boat windward star many yrs ago . leased boats ie the kokanee inside troller..skipper/owner prawn boat "scotty"..ran packers for yrs and yrs .. "capella no.1 and bertha gfirst sockeye delivery i was ever in on was to the capella no.1 tied up at the govt. dock in kelsey bay 1990. I remember the guy manning the scale picked out 1 fish to be wieghed seprate...it was a 9 pound humpy.

HuntNmemories
06-08-2012, 09:06 PM
Wow, this is going back several decades..I trolled with my Dad and brother on the Svalbard I on the WC Vancouver Island, before that gillnetted with them on the Four Belles, afterwards hammered the halibut with the family on the Miss Penny Lee (formerly the September) based from Namu... ya that place was a rush. Huge (it least it seemed to a single digit age kid) breakfast/lunch/dinner mess hall at Namu, all you could eat...loved the pancakes and syrup!!

So many memories come flooding back... Trolled out of Ukee and Tofino on the Tolerant for 5 seasons. Seined on the Paula May and a couple of other boats, they just escape my memory right now.

HuntNmemories
06-08-2012, 09:24 PM
My Dad once asked me what I remember the most about fishing....for me the answer easy, getting to explore the BC Coast from the southern border to the Northern Boundary. We fished areas in the south that are now USA, long before the borders were redefined...the Small and Big Praires? Not sure if I have those spots right.
Wow, the times spent in the central coast, that was worth all those times we picked the anchor as the wind screamed and pushed us into the beach, ripping out our stern line tied to a tree...lol

IronNoggin
12-20-2014, 05:01 PM
Looks like we're Trading Up a little :smile:

Bid accepted on the Azulemar. Going to be busy Dressing Her to our liking over the next while...

Cheers,
Nog

Edzzed
12-20-2014, 05:16 PM
Never worked on a fishing boat but my dad sent me out on a packer once when they could find no deck hand. That was the cape Pine. The old man was in charge of Canfiscos packer fleet. They also gave him a 30 ft boat to run operations from up all over the tip of Vancouver Island back in 74. I spent 6 weeks as a 12 year old in summer up there, and we went up in a sea plane every other day. Good times.

thunderheart
12-20-2014, 05:28 PM
first sockeye delivery i was ever in on was to the capella no.1 tied up at the govt. dock in kelsey bay 1990. I remember the guy manning the scale picked out 1 fish to be wieghed seprate...it was a 9 pound humpy.
i suspect it was me ... i bought alot of fish in that area

swampdonkey
12-20-2014, 05:50 PM
I worked on the waldero in the earlier 80's with my uncle for the summer.He then went on to the ocean cavalier. Any of you guys work the fraser at all

thunderheart
12-20-2014, 06:04 PM
i bought fish on the fraser .. troll and gillnet

boblly1
12-20-2014, 06:18 PM
was ab0ard the umeo out of port alberni back in the day along side the bruce dawn and the chalore later on the mona A also out of port alberni with a z license for prawn

boblly1
12-20-2014, 06:21 PM
was ab0ard the umeo out of port alberni back in the day along side the bruce dawn and the chalore off the espaonza coast later on the mona A also out of port alberni with a z license for prawn

MichelD
12-20-2014, 06:27 PM
My father had a little double ender powered by a one-lung 7-10 Easthope from 1958 to 1965.

I spent part of my summers with him as a small child. Fished Roller Bay out of Bates Pass troll camp. I later worked on seiners out of Sointula, dungeness crabs with Scotty Neish, prawns with Dunc Sheilds and Guy Johnston and now on salmon and herring packers for Jimmy.

Rhyno
12-20-2014, 08:59 PM
No troll'n, but Worked on the Miss Crew about 10 years back dragging out of ukee. Good cash for a 20yer old!

kyleklassen
12-20-2014, 09:09 PM
My father had a little double ender powered by a one-lung 7-10 Easthope from 1958 to 1965.

I spent part of my summers with him as a small child. Fished Roller Bay out of Bates Pass troll camp. I later worked on seiners out of Sointula, dungeness crabs with Scotty Neish, prawns with Dunc Sheilds and Guy Johnston and now on salmon and herring packers for Jimmy.we need boat names...lol

markomoose
12-20-2014, 09:36 PM
Man you guys are older than I thought.Although my grandfather ran a troller out of Vancouver in the 40/50's called the "Heather".I remember him telling me his best day coho fishing was in Deep Cove.Yes he's Scottish.He moored his boat at the B.C. Sugar Refinery where my grandmother worked and Oh well the rest is history.

Schutzen
12-21-2014, 01:56 PM
Mile 96?
Out of Victoria, 34 ft double ender.
Heard it was up in Ukee last l knew of it.
Fished west coast of Island off Carmanah, etc.
Was 16 then lol.

Grew up on and lived on the Twin Isles for bout 3 yrs docked at Oak Bay marina. 65 ft.
Built in 43.
US owned now IIRC based out of Seattle.

dryflyguy57
12-21-2014, 11:35 PM
Looks like we're Trading Up a little :smile:

Bid accepted on the Azulemar. Going to be busy Dressing Her to our liking over the next while...

Cheers,
Nog
Very nice , I believe Gordie Brooks had that at one time and his dad ran the "Cowichan" Would like to see her when you are done .

Doublelung
12-22-2014, 02:14 AM
Fished prawns and hailbut on the Moon Dancer with Gordie brooks
fished tuna on the Strider King with Arnie Sunstrum.

IronNoggin
12-22-2014, 01:12 PM
Very nice , I believe Gordie Brooks had that at one time and his dad ran the "Cowichan" Would like to see her when you are done .

The Cowichan is still around, or at least was last year out of Ukee...

Wes was the last owner of Azulemar - many years now, can't recall his last name.

Will post a picture or two once we have her Ready To Rock... ;-)

... fished tuna on the Strider King with Arnie Sunstrum.

Worked with Arnie quite a few years back now on the Tanner Crab experimental fishery. Had a LOT of Fun with that Ol' Redneck!

Cheers,
Nog

12-22-2014, 01:25 PM
huge amounts of tanners with the Idiots...long way down tho!

horse280
12-22-2014, 02:25 PM
Never worked on troller's but was on gillnet boats based out of Barnston Island. My Dad built and fished from 69 onward under the boat names of the Terri lynne Terri lynne 2 ;Double T ; and his last boat was the Royal mint. Myself I fished with him from 1984 to 1988 up on the port hardy,smith' inlet,river's inlet port alberni fraser system well before area liscencing lot's of fun- some perfect storm fear and a lot of money availiable at that time...now i work on the land but cherish the memories! Horsee

79Jimmy
12-23-2014, 11:55 PM
Spent a season in the late 80's on the Smilee. She was a 45' red/orange sailboat. Great summer on the WCVI for a 15 year old kid

bogman
12-24-2014, 12:50 AM
Only trolled 1 season with my older brother on the "Marble Isle", got off to return to college and she sank the next trip 80 miles off the top of the island while tuna fishing. He and his deckhand spent 6 1/2 days in a life raft. finished my degree in business and bought a gillnet/troller the next week. started seining in the early 80's and got my first boat to run in 88 "Harbour Provider" and then bought the "Venturous"seiner /longliner in 91. Sold and retired from commercial in 2001 and caught my first salmon on a rod ever that summer. I miss fishing commercial fishing every day but only the way it was ,not the way it is. Not alot of regrets in my life but not starting sport fishing sooner is definately one of them. It kinda surprises me how many guys on here have spent time as a commie ( as some call us on here)

Foxtail
12-24-2014, 06:32 AM
Horse280, I probably know you... I worked on my dads boats since 1990, the Zero, then the Sassy One, the the Knot Me... Plus I went to Anniedale lol

horse280
12-24-2014, 11:00 AM
Yep I wen't to anniedale too; i graduated from north surrey senior in 1987 last name starts with a Z.....

Foxtail
12-24-2014, 05:15 PM
Ohh ouch, i graduated in 98 from north Surrey lol. My name is Hector Stewart, Im Robs son.

303savage
01-20-2015, 01:33 PM
I worked on a boat called the SYSYGY out of Port Alberni for a half season and then went back to logging.

01-20-2015, 01:58 PM
What ya get Sick?

Scotty-B
01-21-2015, 11:27 PM
835 and I have a bit in common. In the late 80's and early 90's, I trolled on the Cold Fish, Royal Hunter II, Summer Breeze II, and the Costalot. All were Sooke boats fishing the North Coast. Now, I've spent the last 8 years on the CCGS Bartlett and have just moved to the CCGS Gordon Reid.

303savage
01-27-2015, 01:48 PM
What ya get Sick?
Yep I did get sick, 3 days on the first 10 day trip, 1 day on the second trip and threw up once on the third
After the third trip I was good. Made a few more trips and decided I like dry land work more.

01-27-2015, 02:10 PM
ya i used to get sick for the first two weeks of every season..... eventually i got so i could eat macceroni while watching my guests barf when i was a guide...

Jetboater
01-27-2015, 09:33 PM
Debbie ann, westbay and sea bee all out of ladner