PDA

View Full Version : Are some mountains just impoosible to hunt elk

rides bike to work
06-02-2012, 08:19 AM
I have scouted a new elk hunting spot.Ifound a ton of sign droppings tracks.But I havent actually seen the elk there I spent three days scouting there while bear hunting but honestly was totally focused on the elk.The problem was the mountain I was on was super steep and thick thick bush with very few openings just a couple clear cuts with 6 foot trees making it hard to se any thing .I scoured the whole mountain and couldnt find any good vantage points.Ifollowed game trails that quickly disapeared into bush so thick i couldnt see 5ft in front of me.

The weather was hot so I sat on trails with fresh sign early morning and late night but still nothing. How would you attack this mountain or would you just move on to the next one .

Trophyslayer
06-02-2012, 08:44 AM
Wait till the rut and call them right to you i called my bull In this year to 30 yards through the thick

GoatGuy
06-02-2012, 09:32 AM
Elk move around a lot, might hang out there for a couple days, then head somewhere else. If there's sign, they're there.

Keep on hunting and if you have a trail cam make use of it. If they hang out there, that means there's water somewhere; you should be able to find last year's wallows - that's a great place to start.

finngun
06-02-2012, 09:40 AM
Are some mountains just impoosible to hunt elk.....yes some are because some mountains have not one..:mrgreen:

hunter1947
06-03-2012, 04:20 AM
Elk can move from there eating grounds to bedding areas many miles ,the elk might have moved in the past few weeks or days to a different location thats why you did not see anything..

This time of the year the bigger bulls like high elevation the cows calf's spiker's smaller bulls can be found almost anywhere where there is water food and bedding areas..