PDA

View Full Version : 8-14 Elk Draw

manders
11-05-2006, 05:01 PM
I have an elk draw in 8-14 (starts Nov. 10). I'm looking for a land-owner who will let me hunt on his land. Can anyone suggest names of private land owners/ranches who I could call? Ryan

Mckinney Creek Adventures
11-05-2006, 05:22 PM
Congrats on the elk draw. It is a great meat hunt and the bush starts to quiet down after the 24th when rifle deer hunting is over. I have had the tag three times in the last four years without trouble filling the tag. Do not get over confident with the hunt. Even though it is a farm/adjacent to farm hunt, the elk are still there usual roaming selves. You may get lucky in the first day or two, but I recommend planning a week of hunting. I have found the best method is to find an area the elk have been frequenting and keep going back first thing and last thing every day and you will eventually run into them when they appear back in the area. Watch the weather, a snowmobile may be an asset depending on how early we get the snow.

The dissadvantage with the early season over the later season is that the snows help to push the animals to the farmers fields, where as the earlier season the animals tend to hand a little higher, visiting the farmers on occasion.

For our guests, we provide a number of contacts, some of which I know personally, as well as adjacent crown land areas which I have found the elk during the season. We also have facility to clean up the animal and provide recommendations for local butchers. Give me a call through the contact info on our site and I will give you some names/numbers.

Good luck on your hunt.

Jason

Caveman
11-05-2006, 05:50 PM
For the LEH draws in Dawson Cr the Provincial Gov. has a LEH Producers List, those farmers willing to let you hunt their property. I don't see why they wouldn't have one for down there as well.

browningboy
11-05-2006, 05:56 PM
The elk draw up north has awesome odds, but I can never seem to get my hands on one:cry: but straight has a point, not all farmers deal well with wild game.

Mckinney Creek Adventures
11-05-2006, 06:11 PM
This season was initiated by the Cattlemens Association to deal with a problem of a healthy Elk population destroying there winter feed stores. The ranchers are very open to allowing people access to hunt there properties for the Elk during these special seasons so long as the land etc. is respected. Hopefully it is now ruined for the conscious hunter! Other than this special season, the ranchers dont have much time for the hassles of the normal hunting season.